• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1068 replies to this topic

#561 cupforwings

cupforwings

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 03:58 PM

I don't see Modono going to the Wild because they are not really contenders right now... Why would he waste a year with a team who didn't even make the playoffs last year. If he is going to come back for a year then it will be to a team that has a legit chance of winning the cup. That narrows it down to either Detroit and San Jose. San Jose would be an interesting choice for him considering he would be in the same division as the Stars. In Detroit, he would be playing with some great players on a very deep team in his home state. I hope he comes back for one more season and joins the wings. But he needs to make a decision soon so the wings can make the signings and moves necessary for their team.

#562 Electrophile

Electrophile

Ipsa scientia potestas est.

• Silver Booster
  • 9,390 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 04:26 PM

I don't see Modono going to the Wild because they are not really contenders right now... Why would he waste a year with a team who didn't even make the playoffs last year. If he is going to come back for a year then it will be to a team that has a legit chance of winning the cup. That narrows it down to either Detroit and San Jose. San Jose would be an interesting choice for him considering he would be in the same division as the Stars. In Detroit, he would be playing with some great players on a very deep team in his home state. I hope he comes back for one more season and joins the wings. But he needs to make a decision soon so the wings can make the signings and moves necessary for their team.

That makes it sound like we have a Brett Favre situation here.

electrophilewingsfloyd.jpg

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff."  -- The Doctor

#563 blgillett

blgillett

Stevie the one and only Captian

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 04:48 PM

Kenny said that there was no rush in signing Mike he can take his time if not him Abby would take that spot.
"He was standing there like a cigar store Indian" Mickey Redmond
"Holmstrom gets more attention around the net than a pretty girl around closing time!" Mickey Redmond
IPB Image

#564 puffy

puffy

Slightly Insane

• PipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 05:45 PM

The only thing I hate about Mike Modano is he dives way too much. He also complains about proper calls all the time, it gets really annoying after awhile. He has a "crybaby" reputation and he has deserved it, with that said he is still a very talented player.

It's sort of a trade off with this guy. If you're willing to put up with his downside then you will surely enjoy his upside.

Edited by puffy, 10 July 2010 - 05:47 PM.

#565 TheDetroitRedWings

TheDetroitRedWings

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 05:57 PM

Bottom line is Detroit gives Modano the best chance to go out on top with a Cup. The sharks are a good team and all, but they lost basically their MVP in Nabokov. Nabby had the best season of his career last year for the Sharks. With no Nabby, Sharks are definitely not nearly as good. And they couldn't even get to the finals WITH Nabokov. Whereas here in Detroit, we have a goalie in Jimmy Howard who was top 5 in GAA and top 5 in save %, and is now a year older and more experienced. With our overall lineup, Mike has a great chance to win a Cup this season. So I definitely expect him to choose Detroit over the others. Especially since Minnie is a bottom feeder.

12041887825_d4b1d5c02f_o.jpg

#566 egroen

egroen

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 08:03 PM

His wife certainly seems like a real Detroiter, I'm sure she is favoring the Motor City over sunny California!

Edited by egroen, 10 July 2010 - 08:05 PM.

Red Kelly #4 and Larry Aurie #6 belong in the rafters!!!

"For my game, I don't need to score the goal," Konstantinov once explained. "I need someone to start thinking about me and forgetting about scoring goals."

#567 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,337 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 10:05 PM

The only thing I hate about Mike Modano is he dives way too much. He also complains about proper calls all the time, it gets really annoying after awhile. He has a "crybaby" reputation and he has deserved it, with that said he is still a very talented player.

It's sort of a trade off with this guy. If you're willing to put up with his downside then you will surely enjoy his upside.

Since when?

Posted Image

#568 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,740 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 10:14 PM

Since when?

Since he came into the league.

Have you forgotten his whining during the Olympics in 2006?

Edited by GMRwings1983, 10 July 2010 - 10:15 PM.

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#569 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,337 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 10:15 PM

Since he came into the league.

I honestly don't remember anything about that.

Posted Image

#570 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 10:19 PM

Found this on that event:

http://nbcsports.msn...om/id/11551371/

#571 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,691 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 10:20 PM

I've always thought of Modano as a quiet guy,like Stevie in the sense that he doesn't say a whole lot and let's his skills do the talking...
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#572 puffy

puffy

Slightly Insane

• PipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 10:56 PM

I've always thought of Modano as a quiet guy,like Stevie in the sense that he doesn't say a whole lot and let's his skills do the talking...

Not really, he's actually got quite a temper and he whines a lot!

He's still a great player, but he has some annoying habits we need to get use to.

#573 yzerman_scores

yzerman_scores

Jr. Prospect

• 16 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 11:29 PM

And now this: St. Louis & Washington

http://www.hockeybuz...Blu8230/5/29287

#574 yzerman_scores

yzerman_scores

Jr. Prospect

• 16 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 11:36 PM

This too: "Modano is keeping a close eye on teams like the Los Angeles Kings and possibly even the Phoenix Coyotes to see what moves they might make to create an opening"
hockeybuzz.com. I know, Eklund!

#575 Broken 16

Broken 16

Bonecrushing Blueliner

• Gold Booster
  • 2,959 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 12:36 AM

This too: "Modano is keeping a close eye on teams like the Los Angeles Kings and possibly even the Phoenix Coyotes to see what moves they might make to create an opening"
hockeybuzz.com. I know, Eklund!

Well, this is just getting dumb if it's true. The novelty factor has wore off. I really wouldn't care if he went somewhere else. At least then I can get back to not liking him.

#576 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,691 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 12:44 AM

Modano's not coming here.Time to focus on what we really need.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#577 mindfly

mindfly

GRRRRR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 04:54 AM

Way to get a nice tigers game in Mr.Ilitch's box and stuff while visiting his parents... :rolleyes:

:thumbdown:

#578 Majsheppard

Majsheppard

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 05:59 AM

I got to still take the guy at his word. Detroit or Retirement.

I do think this guy helps us win a championship, by making us the feel good story Bettman would allow to power his ratings machine. God knows it ain't gonna be Chicago next year.
"It is a lot easier to be an ******* to words than to people"-xkcd

Tootoo does NOT belong on this team. He is classless and I would rather see the Wings be bad than classless. I feel the same way about Bertuzzi as well, but he at least CAN make the team better. With Tootoo the team becomes worse and in danger of being classless. Would you have liked Claude on the team? Or Roy? No. So why would you be okay with that POS.

This thread has been closed due to emotions being higher than people's ability to read, interpret, and properly respond to simple posts.

#579 Ray1905

Ray1905

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 06:44 AM

I don't see the need for Modano, Detroit need more energy and grit, they already have a lot of experience.
Read less, more TV.

#580 Dominator2005

Dominator2005

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,223 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 07:52 AM

http://detnews.com/a...e-other-options

Detroit -- So on Friday, Mike Modano apparently told the Dallas Morning News he would listen to recruiting pitches from San Jose and Minnesota, and that talk that his only options were to play for the Red Wings or retire was wrong.

Well, they were his words. Still blushing from the Wings' full-court press last Tuesday, Modano told me, "There isn't any other team. It will be here (Detroit) or I'm not playing. I think it's narrowed to that."

OK, so what happened between then and now? How, all of a sudden, have the Wild and Sharks entered the picture? Has he even decided he wants to play another year yet?

Here's what I think happened. First, when news of the Wings' intense interest in Modano started spreading, it was like dropping blood into the water.

Money talks
Second, I think the money got smaller. The Wings, after signing Drew Miller and Patrick Eaves last week, have a little more than $3 million left under the salary cap. They still have to re-sign restricted free agents Darren Helm and Justin Abdelkader, as well as possibly Derek Meech or another veteran defenseman.

It was assumed the Wings would offer Modano something at or just over $1 million. But I think now maybe it is $800,000, plus they were selling him on taking it over $1 million with incentives that wouldn't apply to the cap until the 2011-2012 season.

When I talked to Holland last Tuesday, it seemed like it was just a matter of Modano (Westland) deciding he wants to play another year. After talking to Holland again Thursday, I came away with an entirely different feeling.

Here's what Holland said: "There is no time frame. At the end of the day, for me, we're interested in Mike Modano. But if we didn't do anything, I'd be OK. We have Abby and Helm to play there (at the third and fourth line center spots).

"You know, it is Mike Modano, a local guy who we think can still play and would be a great fit. But we only have so much wriggle-room. Right now he's going through the emotion of does he want to play and the emotion of what we're offering. We only have so much space to offer."

Other options
Maybe an $800,000 offer was an insult to Modano. I don't know. But looking at the Wild and Sharks, they can't offer him too much more. The Wild have 23 players signed for $57 million and the Sharks, who just put up a three-year, $14 million offer sheet to Chicago's restricted free agent Niklas Hjalmarsson, have 18 players signed at $54 million.

The salary cap is $59.4 million.

Another issue here, too, is his wife, actress Willa Ford. We don't know what she's thinking about any of this, but presumably it would be better for her to have her husband playing in California than Detroit or Minnesota.

Who knows? It would be a coup for the Wings to have Modano centering the third line and playing point on the second power-play unit. It would be a great story, having the local kid finish his career in his hometown. It would be a boon both on the ice and at the box office.

But if it doesn't happen? Helm would take over the third line and Abdelkader the fourth. They would maybe have some money left to sign an enforcer.

It wouldn't be the end of the world.

I don't want Mike Primadona and let's be honest there is no NEED for him right now.
"Some guys dream about scoring goals, or making big saves... I swear to God I dream about kicking ass in a hockey fight - no other way to say it than I love to do it, its who I am"... Brian McGrattan