1068 replies to this topic

#41 Johnny Diamonds

Johnny Diamonds

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 769 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 10:25 PM

This is also one of the reasons I want Modano so much. :P

And I agree with you about Helm and Abds. Our line up looks much better with Modano centering the third line.

The wings are the only team interested in Modano. It's either the wings or retire.

After reading that Dallas Morning News article it sounds like it could be a possibility. It sounds like Holland's selling pitch of "We have a great chance to win as it is and an even better chance with you on board" might be to tempting for a competitor like Modano.

#42 HockeytownRules19

HockeytownRules19

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,364 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 10:27 PM

Sorry, I know its another Modano thread i made lol... but this is really intriguing.

"The Detroit Red Wings are willing to offer Mike Modano a one- or two-year deal at a base salary of between $1 million and $1.5 million per season, THN.com has learned."

We'll see

http://www.thehockey...r-contract.html

Edited by HockeytownRules19, 05 July 2010 - 10:28 PM.

#43 uk_redwing

uk_redwing

#25 Jamie Tardif

• Gold Booster
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 10:28 PM

This hurts our chances at landing a big grinding forward and a physical defenseman.

When healthy, scoring is the last of our concerns, so I'm not so sure if he gives us anything we don't already have.

Doesn't exactly make us a younger team either.

My thoughts exactly. People are getting a bit lost in romanticism here. He doesn't give us anything we lack, which is the important thing.

Posted Image
Turtling is for the weak
Grand Rapids Griffins Fights

#44 Joseph Franks

Joseph Franks

Rookie

• Pip
  • 166 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 10:29 PM

And you just know Dallas will Boo him the second he steps on the ice with a Winged Wheel.

It'll be worth it just to watch that. I was never much of a Dallas fan, and always thought their fan base was pretty annoying.

#45 HockeytownRules19

HockeytownRules19

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,364 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 10:31 PM

Thanks Mods for merging the threads i made... my bad everyone

Bring Modano Home!

Edited by HockeytownRules19, 05 July 2010 - 10:32 PM.

#46 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,854 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 10:32 PM

My thoughts exactly. People are getting a bit lost in romanticism here. He doesn't give us anything we lack, which is the important thing.

Pretty much. This move would have been cool about 10 years ago, but I don't see many good arguments coming from people as to how this would benefit us now. What needs does it address?

People need to realize that if he was still any kind of impact player, Dallas would have acted differently with him.

He's not skilled enough anymore to be a great top 6 forward, and isn't physical enough to be some kind of grinding bottom forward.

He's just a famous name, and people are excited to have a future Hall of Famer added to the team, without thinking about how this makes us better.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#47 Original-Six

Original-Six

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 10:33 PM

He gives us 3 lines of legitimate scoring.

#48 zombi

zombi

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 10:34 PM

Definitely seems that things are falling into place with this.

Posted Image

#49 HockeytownRules19

HockeytownRules19

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,364 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 10:35 PM

Guys remember in only 59 games last year with decreasing PT, he still got 14 goals and 30 points. So with more PT and more games played he might be able to rack up mid 40s in points, which isn't half bad for a 3rd line center.

#50 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,854 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 10:36 PM

He gives us 3 lines of legitimate scoring.

But lessens our chances of adding some physicality on the blue line or on the 3rd/4th line.

We need to have a well rounded team and this doesn't help that.

Hudler already increased our scoring from last year.

#51 miller76

miller76

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 2,719 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 10:36 PM

Pretty much. This move would have been cool about 10 years ago, but I don't see many good arguments coming from people as to how this would benefit us now. What needs does it address?

People need to realize that if he was still any kind of impact player, Dallas would have acted differently with him.

He's not skilled enough anymore to be a great top 6 forward, and isn't physical enough to be some kind of grinding bottom forward.

He's just a famous name, and people are excited to have a future Hall of Famer added to the team, without thinking about how this makes us better.

I think we could benefit from his skating ability, his participation on the second unit power play, and he would be a great locker room presence.

I wouldn't totally expect him to be running s***, per se.
lighten up people, it's the internet!

#52 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,854 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 10:38 PM

I think we could benefit from his skating ability, his participation on the second unit power play, and he would be a great locker room presence.

I wouldn't totally expect him to be running s***, per se.

But isn't that what adding Hudler was for?

Minus the locker room thing.

#53 Grim

Grim

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,620 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 10:39 PM

I hope Modano clicks with Bertuzzi. I love Bert but he sucks up a lot of Z's energy. I too agree that this move cements filppula in the top 6.

#54 Johnny Diamonds

Johnny Diamonds

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 769 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 10:39 PM

Maybe he can win some ********* faceoffs on the road in the playoffs. How about that?

#55 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,854 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 10:40 PM

Maybe he can win some ********* faceoffs on the road in the playoffs. How about that?

:lol:

Are you starting with that again?

Some of our best players couldn't win faceoffs on the road in the playoffs last year. It's just one of those things the whole team needs to improve on.

#56 SwedeLundin77

SwedeLundin77

Over the Line!!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 10:41 PM

One step closer with this upcoming meeting (hopefully tomorrow).... I hope this gets resolved in the next couple of days, because I want to see what we do on defense soon too! It'd be nice to wrap all this up now so the new players can be brought into the fold and get comfortable with the new teammates... Just my thoughts though. Modano will wear one of these numbers if he does come: 90, 67, 27, or 81.

#57 Johnny Diamonds

Johnny Diamonds

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 769 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 10:43 PM

Guys remember in only 59 games last year with decreasing PT, he still got 14 goals and 30 points. So with more PT and more games played he might be able to rack up mid 40s in points, which isn't half bad for a 3rd line center.

Not to mention being surrounded by better players on the WIngs could help along with some increased minutes.

#58 miller76

miller76

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 2,719 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 10:43 PM

But isn't that what adding Hudler was for?

Minus the locker room thing.

Yeah but were talking about Hudler here! He can be a ghost when he's not doing thatf****** chicken dance with Ozzie : :lol:
lighten up people, it's the internet!

#59 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,696 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 10:44 PM

Grit and nastiness is overrated in hockey,right guys?
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#60 SwedeLundin77

SwedeLundin77

Over the Line!!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 10:46 PM

But lessens our chances of adding some physicality on the blue line or on the 3rd/4th line.

We need to have a well rounded team and this doesn't help that.

Hudler already increased our scoring from last year.

You need to realize that if this does happen, we can still add that nasty 6th d-man (McKee, Exelby, Hnidy, etc) since we won't be signing Miller and Meech or they'll be traded closer to the start of the season. Hudler increased our scoring, yes, but we also lost Hossa, Samuelsson, and on the minor side - Kopecky. That's a LOT of scoring that needs to be made up, and Modano will help. He'll also win faceoffs and be a good mentor for some of the young guys. Maybe it's not perfect, but it's not all that bad either. And one year doesn't mess up the team plans heading forward, so guys like Tatar, Nyquist, Nestrasil, Smith, etc. will all have the same opportunity regardless.

In Kenny I trust - you don't have to like it, but then again, when it comes to putting a hockey team together - he knows WAY more than us.