• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1068 replies to this topic

#641 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 02:40 PM

Hey Johnny Damon's wife didn't want him to come to Detroit and others thought he was doing the same thing and look what happened there. Not calling him a Marshall Mathers wife beater by any stretch but going to the best possible situation sometimes or always outweighs outside opinion. Get it done Mike.

Edited by HankthaTank, 12 July 2010 - 02:41 PM.

TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

#642 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,878 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 02:44 PM

Maybe he's just considering his options, consulting with his family, and making a decision about where the best place is for all concerned at this point.

You guys make such a big deal about him consulting his wife. Hey, guys, we gals need to be included in huge decisions like where to move to. We have responsibilities and we need to know what our new surroundings will be like.

I mean, really- suppose you moved to a new town, got a new job that came with 20+ new friends, and you invited them all over to your house for supper and your wife couldn't get you all a beer because she didn't know where the store was. Wouldn't you feel silly then? I bet you would! It is your manly duty to make sure that the wife has a comfortable kitchen and convenient grocery/liquor shopping in the event of the aforementioned scenario.

If I had three or more job offers sitting on the table, all of which involved moving to a new place, you can bet I'd take my time to be sure it was the right decision.

#643 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,867 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 02:51 PM

Maybe he's just considering his options, consulting with his family, and making a decision about where the best place is for all concerned at this point.

You guys make such a big deal about him consulting his wife. Hey, guys, we gals need to be included in huge decisions like where to move to. We have responsibilities and we need to know what our new surroundings will be like.

I mean, really- suppose you moved to a new town, got a new job that came with 20+ new friends, and you invited them all over to your house for supper and your wife couldn't get you all a beer because she didn't know where the store was. Wouldn't you feel silly then? I bet you would! It is your manly duty to make sure that the wife has a comfortable kitchen and convenient grocery/liquor shopping in the event of the aforementioned scenario.

If I had three or more job offers sitting on the table, all of which involved moving to a new place, you can bet I'd take my time to be sure it was the right decision.

I was waiting to see something about getting sandwiches ready too, but I was let down.

#644 yzerman_scores

yzerman_scores

Jr. Prospect

• 16 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 02:58 PM

He would have "20+ new friends" regardless of where he signed!

I think he is torn between what benefits his wife, his parents, and Mike!
His wife will, hopefully be with him a long time. His parents, who knows.

I really think he does not know the amount of desire that Red Wings fans have to sign in Detroit.

I have been waiting for it for over 10 years.

#645 Vladifan

Vladifan

Legend

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 5,759 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 05:38 PM

I haven't read anywhere where his wife is actually now a larger part of his decision than before, whatever degree that was. Then again, I haven't read all the posts here so maybe I missed some factual info. But after I read here that he's now being butt-kissed by other teams and still listening to offers, it could be just his ego being massaged. Was it not like a week ago that he said if he played again, Detroit would be where he'd go (come to)? I'm kinda at a place where if he comes here, great. But after the LaBron James' and Favre' fiascos - my brain and heart just don't give a s*** at le moment and my plan is to purposefully ignore it till he makes a decision. Peace out to the posters on this thread and I hope you're all having a good summer/winter wherever you are!

"He even ate with women who at that time were accorded the same status as the family donkey. Are we willing to break bread with, say, child sex slaves, transgender teens and undocumented workers? Because when Jesus comes back to Earth, that's where he'll be hanging."
You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.

#646 brett

brett

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,974 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 06:12 PM

t-t-t-today

#647 Frozen-Man

Frozen-Man

Thanks for the memories

• Gold Booster
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 06:15 PM

:lol: Awesome post. :clap: :clap:

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

#648 Broken 16

Broken 16

Bonecrushing Blueliner

• Gold Booster
  • 2,959 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 07:12 PM

It's the offseason. If we can't make fun of Modano for being whipped... what are we supposed to do? In fact, it's his fault. The longer this lingers, the more whipped he appears. :ph34r:

This is a hockey forum. We don't think about those things. It's much more entertaining comparing hot wives and discussing our personal thresholds for being whipped by said wives.

But the Wings are the coolest organization in all of professional sports. There is no decision. Come win a Cup. :)

#649 Z and D for the C

Z and D for the C

This is the TBL forum, right?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,026 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 10:51 PM

Red Wings in wait-and-see mode as free agent Mike Modano weighs his options

Holland said he will continue to wait and that Modano's indecision is not preventing him from signing anybody else.

:thumbup:

Edited by Z and D for the C, 12 July 2010 - 10:55 PM.

Just cause you look like the gimp don't mean you play like the gimp!

#650 up2here

up2here

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 07:24 AM

Saw this at Rotoworld today:

Mike Modano-C- Stars Jul. 13 - 7:28 am et

It is beginning to look as if Mike Modano will not be headed to Detroit.

The Red Wings have around $3 million to spend on remaining contracts and still have to re-sign three players (Derek Meech, Justin Abdelkader and Darren Helm) so their offer to Modano likely wasn't enough to entice the long-time member of the Stars. The Red Wings and Modano have not talked since Friday. "We would love to have Mike join us, but we only have a certain amount to spend," GM Ken Holland said. Stay tuned as the Sharks, Wild and Blackhawks could also be interested in Modano's services.

#651 under_par_00

under_par_00

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 08:34 AM

I really want Modano to come to Detroit next season. A 3rd line of Hudler - Modano - Cleary would be dynamite. This also leaves Abdelkader to the 4th line with Helm and Eaves/Ritola.

I do not think that Abdelkader has nearly the offensive ability yet of Modano, and would not work as well with Cleary and Hudler. Please Kenny, offer more $$!!

#652 thedisappearer

thedisappearer

Hall-of-Famer

• Silver Booster
  • 2,194 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 08:48 AM

If you think comparing you and your husband's life, or mine and my wife's, to Modano's and his wife is any sort of valid comparison, you are sadly mistaken. But congrats on making it appear sexist.
*this space for rent*

#653 mindfly

mindfly

GRRRRR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 08:50 AM

Seriously Mike is retarded not to come to detroit at this stage of his career with all the stuff that's going on, best chance to win, coming "home", getting the most out of veterans, top notch classy organisation etc.... mind boggling how he picks another team than detroit... How can still money be the most important factor at age 40? s***...

Edited by mindfly, 13 July 2010 - 08:51 AM.

#654 Wings3:16

Wings3:16

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,419 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 09:03 AM

I don't have a source, but I hear that Modano is still mulling his options over!
Wings in 2013...Bring the Cup back to Hockeytown!

#655 Aussie_Wing

Aussie_Wing

Mursak

• Bronze Booster
  • 8,550 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 09:05 AM

http://detnews.com/a...0334/1128/rss16

Mike Modano likely seeks better deal

Detroit --It's about the money. It's always about the money.

If the money were right, Mike Modano would've already signed a one-year deal with the Red Wings. The money, obviously, isn't right, but the money isn't going to change, either.

"We made an offer, we made our pitch," Wings general manager Ken Holland said Monday. "But this being a cap world, we've made lots of commitments. We don't have a lot of wiggle room."

Therefore, he has about $3 million left. Restricted free agents Derek Meech (who could be signed this week), Justin Abdelkader and Darren Helm are going to get a piece of that $3 million.

Looking more and more like Mike won't be a Wing. :thumbup:

Ken Holland: Hes (Mursak) a young guy, provides energy, can skate, hes a puck hound.

#656 Z and D for the C

Z and D for the C

This is the TBL forum, right?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,026 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 09:05 AM

Seriously Mike is retarded not to come to detroit at this stage of his career with all the stuff that's going on, best chance to win, coming "home", getting the most out of veterans, top notch classy organisation etc.... mind boggling how he picks another team than detroit... How can still money be the most important factor at age 40? s***...

Keep in mind he still hasn't chosen, but I'd be very disappointed to see him go somewhere else. I hope Kenny is offering him at least 1 million.

Just cause you look like the gimp don't mean you play like the gimp!

#657 Aussie_Wing

Aussie_Wing

Mursak

• Bronze Booster
  • 8,550 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 09:11 AM

Keep in mind he still hasn't chosen, but I'd be very disappointed to see him go somewhere else. I hope Kenny is offering him at least 1 million.

$3 mil remaining.

Roughly:

$1 mil Helm
$1 mil Abdelkader
$750k Meech (might S&T, waive)

Holland says he wants $700k up his sleeve just in case, I don't see how that's possible, ESPECIALLY if we were to sign Modano.

Ken Holland: Hes (Mursak) a young guy, provides energy, can skate, hes a puck hound.

#658 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 09:17 AM

$3 mil remaining.

Roughly:

$1 mil Helm
$1 mil Abdelkader
$750k Meech (might S&T, waive)

Holland says he wants $700k up his sleeve just in case, I don't see how that's possible, ESPECIALLY if we were to sign Modano.

Because that "approximately 3m left" includes another about 700k...

We have about 3.7 in cap space right now and that does not include the salary (750k) we'd dump by moving Miller if we signed Modano... also, Meech will probably get no more than 600k even IF he went to arbitration and he will almost certainly be moved as well...

So it's more realistic to say:
1m to Helm
1m to Abdelkader
1m to Modano

-750k from Miller
Meech moved...

and that leaves us at about 1.4m in cap space left to sign a vet d-man AND give us cushion for call ups...

It's VERY possible and plausible...

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#659 Aussie_Wing

Aussie_Wing

Mursak

• Bronze Booster
  • 8,550 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 09:22 AM

Because that "approximately 3m left" includes another about 700k...

We have about 3.7 in cap space right now and that does not include the salary (750k) we'd dump by moving Miller if we signed Modano... also, Meech will probably get no more than 600k even IF he went to arbitration and he will almost certainly be moved as well...

So it's more realistic to say:
1m to Helm
1m to Abdelkader
1m to Modano

-750k from Miller
Meech moved...

and that leaves us at about 1.4m in cap space left to sign a vet d-man AND give us cushion for call ups...

It's VERY possible and plausible...

Fair call, but given what was mentioned in the above article, I don't think Modano is coming.

#660 NeverForgetMac25

NeverForgetMac25

Kate: Jr. Wing Nut

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 18,184 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 09:37 AM

Tough to argue with this *only becuase* we're talking about a guy who's made a ton over the course of his career and the difference isn't an earth shattering amount. I've always said "it's easy to tell a guy to take less when its not your money", but if Mike's gonna split hairs over $500-$750k *at this point in his career* he's clearly valuing destination just as much as cash. Of the 4 he's considering, either team other than SJ or Detroit makes zero sense unless he wants money...plain and simple. In that's the case, enjoy pissing away your last season in ANA or MIN, because a cup chance is not in their immediate future.
It's amazing how much clarity comes when you care more about the Red Wings than any individual player.

"They are the best team in the world. They are a team that can just take over when they want to," Chicago's Patrick Kane said (of the Detroit Red Wings).