• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1068 replies to this topic

#661 Z and D for the C

Z and D for the C

This is the TBL forum, right?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,033 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 09:38 AM

Fair call, but given what was mentioned in the above article, I don't think Modano is coming.

That's pure speculation. We have no idea what Modano is thinking.

If we trade/waive Miller & Meech, Helm/Abds resign at $950k/$850k, sign Modano at $1 million and someone on defense for $1 million, we'll have about $550k in space.

But doesn't it make you wish Lidstrom, Holmstrom and Bertuzzi would have taken just a little bit less?

Edited by Z and D for the C, 13 July 2010 - 09:42 AM.

Just cause you look like the gimp don't mean you play like the gimp!

#662 Aussie_Wing

Aussie_Wing

Mursak

• Bronze Booster
  • 8,550 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 09:42 AM

If we trade/waive Miller, Helm/Abds resign at $950k/$850k, sign Modano at $1 million and someone on defense for $1 million, we'll have about $550k in space.

But doesn't it make you wish Lidstrom, Holmstrom and Bertuzzi would have taken just a little bit less?

Lidstrom yes, I said all along I wanted him at $5 mil. Holmstrom's deal was spot on, Bert's a TAD too much, but overall not bad.

Ken Holland: Hes (Mursak) a young guy, provides energy, can skate, hes a puck hound.

#663 mmamolo

mmamolo

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,809 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 09:54 AM

If we trade/waive Miller & Meech, Helm/Abds resign at $950k/$850k, sign Modano at $1 million and someone on defense for $1 million, we'll have about $550k in space.

I wanted Lidstrom back no matter what and the fact we had to pay $6.2M to get him I am fine with that. But at the end of the day, even getting him at $6M would have made this much easier.
Posted Imagewww.unsportsmanlike.ca

#664 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 10:05 AM

The fact is, that all 3 of them took less here than they would have got on the open market and we should just be grateful we still have them, than nitpicking over small variances on the cap...

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#665 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 10:12 AM

The fact is, that all 3 of them took less here than they would have got on the open market and we should just be grateful we still have them, than nitpicking over small variances on the cap...

Same discussion this board had at the time he resigned.

Would it have been friggin sweet if he took less? Of course.
Are we thankful he's back? Absolutely.

The end.

Just trying to save others the hassle.

#666 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 10:29 AM

Same discussion this board had at the time he resigned.

Would it have been friggin sweet if he took less? Of course.
Are we thankful he's back? Absolutely.

The end.

Just trying to save others the hassle.

exactly.

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#667 Electrophile

Electrophile

Ipsa scientia potestas est.

• Silver Booster
  • 9,390 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 10:44 AM

We'll all be cold and in our graves by the time Mikey makes up his mind.

electrophilewingsfloyd.jpg

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff."  -- The Doctor

#668 miller76

miller76

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 2,719 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 01:40 PM

Pierre LeBrun's twitter posted, Modano is going to a golf tourney in Lake Tahoe. Still no decision!

Figures. In case anyone was wondering.
lighten up people, it's the internet!

#669 Jesusberg

Jesusberg

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,713 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 01:49 PM

This is not cool. A friend of mine is a Canucks fan and he predicted that Modano wouldn't make a decision until sometime in August. He cannot be right. I cannot take the gloating, lol.

#670 brett

brett

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,016 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 03:38 PM

all the hype for nothing what bulls***. how much does he think hes worth? hes 40, can maybe rack up 30-40pts 1mil 1.5 tops is what he should be worth. helm is making 600k and racked up 25pts. meh whats with these greedy *******? seriously id be happy as hell to play for 1 mil lol

#671 yzerman_scores

yzerman_scores

Jr. Prospect

• 16 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 04:08 PM

This just in: The KHL and Dallas Stars are now in the hunt for Mike Modano (just because everyone else is). Mike says he could see himself fitting i well, with
everyone.

LOL!!!!

#672 Booster313

Booster313

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 04:24 PM

All these beat writers are just speculating, none of them have any sources, the only team that can really offer him more money is Anaheim. The sharks and wild are in similar cap situations. Look I am not saying he's coming, but don't write him off based on the beat writers opinions with no sources, as time goes on what sells more newspapers, speculating he isn't coming or saying everything is fine, Mike is just relaxing this summer. No one except Mike knows what he is thinking right now.

What kind of color is red? Red is a warning, a declaration, a color that says I'm ready to do what it takes. Red is focused and driven because red doesn't like second place. So what kind of color is red? Their kind.

#673 Hockey Convert

Hockey Convert

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 04:29 PM

This just in: The KHL and Dallas Stars are now in the hunt for Mike Modano (just because everyone else is). Mike says he could see himself fitting i well, with
everyone.

Exactly. I really think this dance with the Wings etc. was aimed at drumming up interest by the California teams where he actually wants to play.

#674 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,696 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 04:31 PM

Never related Mike Modano and Brett Favre in any way till now....
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#675 mindfly

mindfly

GRRRRR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 04:44 PM

I really hate this Favre, Niedermayer, Sundin approach, JUST DECIDE DAMMIT, they are not very professional towards the management and it pisses off the fanbase.... :ranting:

#676 TheDetroitRedWings

TheDetroitRedWings

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 05:47 PM

I'm officially starting to get annoyed by how long this is dragging out. Modano himself has already said he knows the sooner he makes his decision the better. Especially for the Red Wings, cause if he decides to retire or go to another team, the Wings need time to make a few signings. But with each passing day that goes by, the market gets smaller and smaller, leaving us with less options. Mike better make his decision sometime this week. Cause if he doesn't, I think it's time for us to move on and get our team's roster set.

12041887825_d4b1d5c02f_o.jpg

#677 Booster313

Booster313

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 06:00 PM

I'm officially starting to get annoyed by how long this is dragging out. Modano himself has already said he knows the sooner he makes his decision the better. Especially for the Red Wings, cause if he decides to retire or go to another team, the Wings need time to make a few signings. But with each passing day that goes by, the
market gets smaller and smaller, leaving us with less options. Mike better make his decision sometime this week.
Cause if he doesn't, I think it's time for us to move on and get our team's roster set.

There was no other option, no plan b, read the articles Holland isn't waiting on Modano. Plan a is Modano, plan b is no Modano, it's that simple, and other late summer additions will happen either way. The difference will be the amount of cap space left over and if we have to move Ritola/Meech.

Edited by Booster313, 13 July 2010 - 06:03 PM.

What kind of color is red? Red is a warning, a declaration, a color that says I'm ready to do what it takes. Red is focused and driven because red doesn't like second place. So what kind of color is red? Their kind.

#678 SweWings

SweWings

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,917 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 06:10 PM

I really hate this Favre, Niedermayer, Sundin approach, JUST DECIDE DAMMIT, they are not very professional towards the management and it pisses off the fanbase.... :ranting:

You really think that he gave a damn about the management of the Toronto Maple Leafs?

#679 hooon

hooon

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,257 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 06:12 PM

I'm officially starting to get annoyed by how long this is dragging out. Modano himself has already said he knows the sooner he makes his decision the better. Especially for the Red Wings, cause if he decides to retire or go to another team, the Wings need time to make a few signings. But with each passing day that goes by, the market gets smaller and smaller, leaving us with less options. Mike better make his decision sometime this week. Cause if he doesn't, I think it's time for us to move on and get our team's roster set.

Isn't our team's roster pretty much set? Offers have already been sent out to our other FAs.

Other than frustrating suspense during an abnormally boring off-season, there's really no detriment in him taking his time.

The Favre comparisons arent fair (yet). As Favre had ALREADY retired, then went months before letting teams know what he was doing. And he did this for two consecutive seasons. (Three if you count this upcoming one, has he decided yet?)

Its been less than two weeks for Mike, patience.
Posted Image

#680 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,750 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 06:37 PM

A Wing? Or not a Wing? That is the question.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman