• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1068 replies to this topic

#721 EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,731 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 11:17 AM

Muuuuuuuust biiiiiiiiiite toooooooooooooooooongue................

I was mocking the people who use that as the end all indicator of how good a player is/was.
Victory Honda Forever.

Like my posts? Contact Hossa4life for information regarding my fan club

#722 StevieY9802

StevieY9802

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 11:50 AM

Just a rumor and consider the source (not reliable), but I thought I would throw it in for comment.

"According to Andy Strickland of HockeyBuzz, a source close to Mike Modano says he has narrowed his choices for next year to San Jose, Chicago and Minnesota. " From his blog.

SJ and Detroit are the only teams that make sense. Chicago can't afford anyone right now, Minnesota has no shot at a Cup. I think this move (if he does move on and doesn't retire) is about fun and a shot at the Cup. He's not going to get big money anywhere at 40 years old. So its either SJ, so he can be closer to his wife and play against the Stars 6 times or Detroit where he grew up.

yeah I can't believe Chicago is in the mix. If they sign him, which you would assume would have to be around what the Wings offered at $1.2mil, before they straighten out the rest of their group would be stupid.

Edited by StevieY9802, 15 July 2010 - 12:40 PM.

#723 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,948 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 12:20 PM

Modano in Chicago? lol

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#724 redwingfan19

redwingfan19

On a mission

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 12:25 PM

modano texted lebrun and said he has not even talked to the hawks
You may not like tough hockey, but it's winning hockey.

Mitch Callahan: 48GP, 6G, 3A, 9PTS,+/- -3, 103PIMS

14 Fighting Majors

#725 cupforwings

cupforwings

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 08:31 PM

My link

Mike Modano is 40 years old and his best hockey is behind him, but his All-Star career keeps him at the forefront of fans' interests.

I can't tell you how many times a day readers ask about the "latest on Modano." ESPN.com reached out to him Thursday after hearing a website rumor linking him to Chicago.

"Haven't talked to them at all," Modano told ESPN.com via text message.

Modano added that the same three teams remain in the mix: Detroit, Minnesota and San Jose. He was set to tee it up in the Tahoe Celebrity Golf event later in the day. Good luck, Mike!

#726 Z and D for the C

Z and D for the C

This is the TBL forum, right?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,035 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 08:41 PM

Like I say, I still think he's going to sign here in the end. It'll only be for a year so his wife can always wait, best chance to win the cup and he can't be offered much more money by San Jose.

Edited by Z and D for the C, 15 July 2010 - 08:41 PM.

Just cause you look like the gimp don't mean you play like the gimp!

#727 Jesusberg

Jesusberg

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,770 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 08:58 PM

Like I say, I still think he's going to sign here in the end. It'll only be for a year so his wife can always wait, best chance to win the cup and he can't be offered much more money by San Jose.

I'd like Modano here too, but I think San Jose could definitely offer him a good deal more. They have 9 forwards signed, 7 defensemen and 2 goalies with 6.1 million left. Even if those other 3 players cost 1 million a piece that still leaves 3.1 for Modano alone. If Detroit's only offering him 800-900K, and he can be the 3rd line center on each team... Couple that with the fact that his wife apparently likes the West Coast.

I just think San Jose might have the upper hand here, but there's always the chance that Mike wants to come "home" and maybe thinks Detroit has the better shot at a cup. I guess we'll see.

#728 Z and D for the C

Z and D for the C

This is the TBL forum, right?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,035 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 09:02 PM

The 800k thing was false, we offered him 1.25m.

Just cause you look like the gimp don't mean you play like the gimp!

#729 Booster313

Booster313

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 09:07 PM

1.25 Million, your home town, a chance at a cup. > 2.10 Million, California, a chance to be knocked out in the first or second round.

What kind of color is red? Red is a warning, a declaration, a color that says I'm ready to do what it takes. Red is focused and driven because red doesn't like second place. So what kind of color is red? Their kind.

#730 Jesusberg

Jesusberg

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,770 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 09:09 PM

The 800k thing was false, we offered him 1.25m.

Ok... even if that is the case... Like I said, I'd like Modano, but I think San Jose offers more financially and for his wife. The whole "hometown" thing is a nice storyline, but who knows if that's the more important incentive.

#731 Booster313

Booster313

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 09:12 PM

Ok... even if that is the case... Like I said, I'd like Modano, but I think San Jose offers more financially and for his wife. The whole "hometown" thing is a nice storyline, but who knows if that's the more important incentive.

Why do you assume that they would pay the other 3 or 4 players 1 each and Modano 3 plus. I would agree they can offer him more, but I would think they would spread that out more evenly. As far as what he's thinking you're right. No one can know what's more important but I would say it's 50/50 Detroit and San Jose.

What kind of color is red? Red is a warning, a declaration, a color that says I'm ready to do what it takes. Red is focused and driven because red doesn't like second place. So what kind of color is red? Their kind.

#732 yzerman_scores

yzerman_scores

Jr. Prospect

• 16 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 01:27 AM

Kind of sounds like Detroit or retire. Hear the interview here.

http://khtk.cbslocal...ith-grant-mike/

#733 hooon

hooon

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,270 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 01:36 AM

I could be wrong, but I don't think location is as big a factor as people are making it out to be. We're talking about a 1 year contract before certain retirement, after which he and his wife can go and live anywhere they want. Its not like this would be the first of a 6 year contract where he is completely committing himself to the location long term.

I agree with a lot of others. All the factors seem to fit for him coming here. Hope it happens soon, and for no more than 1.2
Posted Image

#734 Aussie_Wing

Aussie_Wing

Mursak

• Bronze Booster
  • 8,550 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 02:48 AM

Just retire Mike, or at the very least, stay away from Detroit. :siren:

Ken Holland: Hes (Mursak) a young guy, provides energy, can skate, hes a puck hound.

#735 HockeyTownHouligan

HockeyTownHouligan

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 02:54 AM

This interview sounds really promising, notice HE brought up playing with Detroit not the hosts. I didn't hear a big boast for san jose. He really sounded pumped about playing for the wings

#736 Green Wing

Green Wing

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 11:11 AM

LeBrun just re-tweeted this from Dan Rosen at NHL.com.

I just spoke with Mike Babcock and he's convinced that Mike Modano will sign with the Red Wings, and play 2 years in Detroit.

Babcock said he met with Modano in Detroit earlier in the week and now believes it's just a matter of time before he signs, but...

He also said he's been wrong before, so it wouldn't shock him if he is again. He doesn't think we'll know until Aug. 1 at the earliest.

Babcock on Modano: "I look forward to him signing. I think that's inevitable. I think that's what is going to happen."

http://twitter.com/drosennhl

If the quotes are accurate, Babs seems sure of Modano signing. And for two years.

#737 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,079 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 11:14 AM

August 1st? What a drag.. 2 years is interesting as well. Dunno how I feel about this, Bertuzzi, Homer and Modano all locked in for 2 years? Maybe the Red Wings are old! :ph34r:

#NOMOREKINDL

#738 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,609 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 11:16 AM

SJ and Detroit are the only teams that make sense. Chicago can't afford anyone right now, Minnesota has no shot at a Cup. I think this move (if he does move on and doesn't retire) is about fun and a shot at the Cup. He's not going to get big money anywhere at 40 years old. So its either SJ, so he can be closer to his wife and play against the Stars 6 times or Detroit where he grew up.

If Chicago somehow finds a way to sign more players I'm going to beat my head against a wall in frustration.

Minnesota really shouldn't even be in this. It's not a storybook ending. He never played for the Wild. He'd just be going back to the city where his career began, not the team. If I were him I'd much rather play for a Cup contender (San Jose or Detroit) or go to my hometown to play for the team I grew up rooting for.

I heard another ex-athlete say on the radio the other day that it doesn't matter if you play your whole career in one city, you can't help but still root for the team you loved growing up, even if it comes up against the team you've played with.

Edited by VM1138, 16 July 2010 - 11:18 AM.

Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#739 xtrememachine1

xtrememachine1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,434 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 11:25 AM

August 1st? Well at least I can stop checking RotoWorld every other hour to see if Mikey signed with us. Interesting, its for 2 years. Maybe he wants to try to win back to backers here. :cool:

#740 Dominator2005

Dominator2005

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,277 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 11:28 AM

DETROIT NEWS/MLIVE.COM: report the Red Wings recent re-signing of defenseman Derek Meech doesn't mean he'll be on their roster next season suggesting the possibility Meech could be dealt to another team.

DETROIT FREE PRESS: reports the Wings next priority is to determine if Mike Modano will sign with them, retire or sign elsewhere. It's doubtful Justin Abdelkader or Darren Helm will be signed until it's known what Modano does.

MLIVE.COM: Ansar Khan reports the Wings remain in touch with free agents Andreas Lilja and Kirk Maltby while they await an answer from Modano.

SPECTOR'S NOTE: Perhaps the Wings would be better served by passing on Modano, who evidently is having second thoughts over his claim it was Detroit or retirement.

http://www.spectorsh...rumors&Itemid=4
"Some guys dream about scoring goals, or making big saves... I swear to God I dream about kicking ass in a hockey fight - no other way to say it than I love to do it, its who I am"... Brian McGrattan