• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1068 replies to this topic

#921 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 11:02 AM

Seriously?.... Helm is a NHL caliber 3rd line center right now, right now. He will be that or more his entire career in the NHL, no matter where he plays. Abdelkader hasn't played a full year yet but he looks NHL caliber to me.

It's a concern.

When they are going to be re-signed regardless, no it isn't.

#922 Pucks

Pucks

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 11:02 AM

I'm pretty sure Helm and Abdelkader realize that this is the nature of business sometimes and I highly doubt they are being shunned and probably realize the value that Modano can bring to the team if he his signed.

Once again, Modano isn't sabatoging the Wings and once again, this is just something that fans in here are being too paranoid about and trying to make too much of a big deal out of.

I didn't say Modano was sabotaging the Wings, It's Kenny that's trying to fill holes we don't have. He's going to wonder why his next contract discussion with Helm
doesn't go so well.

Edited by Pucks, 23 July 2010 - 11:03 AM.

Welcome to the playoffs....where the games get better and the officiating gets worse.

#923 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 11:04 AM

I didn't say Modano was sabotaging the Wings, It's Kenny that's trying to fill holes we don't have. He's going to wonder why his next contract discussion with Helm
doesn't go so well.

You don't know this. Nobody does. This is what, 3, 4, 5 years down the road? Helm's probably not going to care as badly as you are trying to imply. You are being too paranoid.

#924 Pucks

Pucks

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 11:05 AM

Yeah it is. Look I can do it too. You post too much by the way, no need to be so controlling. Everyone is entitled to an opinion on the subjects of this board.

Welcome to the playoffs....where the games get better and the officiating gets worse.

#925 NomadFromKazoo

NomadFromKazoo

Kaz

• PipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 11:05 AM

Seriously?.... Helm is a NHL caliber 3rd line center right now, right now. He will be that or more his entire career in the NHL, no matter where he plays. Abdelkader hasn't played a full year yet but he looks NHL caliber to me.

It's a concern.

How does going after the top American goal scorer who while not being peak of his career is still very good exactly invalidate any of that or that they are the future of those roles on our team?
Frank Herbert: Fear is the mind-killer

Groucho Marx: Sincerity is the key to success. If you can fake that, you've got it made

George Patton: If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking

Doctor Who: Don't turn your back, don't look away, and don't blink

#926 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 11:06 AM

Yeah it is. Look I can do it too. You post too much by the way, no need to be so controlling. Everyone is entitled to an opinion on the subjects of this board.

Where did I say or imply that people aren't entitled to an opinion? Not my fault if you don't like it.

#927 NomadFromKazoo

NomadFromKazoo

Kaz

• PipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 11:08 AM

I think the contention is that they are going to hold it against us and leave later. I totally do not agree with that and as I said if they did I want them gone now because they aren't NHL mind even if they are NHL skill. But just clarifying the point.

doesn't go so well.

Where do you get that Kenny thinks he's "filling a hole" at all? I think Modano's just a chance to pick up a primo player for personal reasons (Detroit connection) that teams don't normally get. I've never once heard anyone say it's a "hole."

Groucho Marx: Sincerity is the key to success. If you can fake that, you've got it made

#928 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 11:09 AM

I think the contention is that they are going to hold it against us and leave later. I totally do not agree with that and as I said if they did I want them gone now because they aren't NHL mind even if they are NHL skill. But just clarifying the point.

Oh I know what he meant, and it's definitely possible, but slim/none that it will happen probably. It's more crazy talk/paranoid thinking about that and it really isn't worth worrying about.

#929 NomadFromKazoo

NomadFromKazoo

Kaz

• PipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 11:11 AM

Oh I know what he meant, and it's definitely possible, but slim/none that it will happen probably. It's more crazy talk/paranoid thinking about that and it really isn't worth worrying about.

Agreed. The Wings should never make any decision to not pursue the best players because they're afraid someone would be offended. Though I don't believe they ever do, it's just message board fodder to worry and not an NHL reality. Any team that does that is going to suck and we don't suck.

#930 Pucks

Pucks

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 11:12 AM

How does going after the top American goal scorer who while not being peak of his career is still very good exactly invalidate any of that or that they are the future of those roles on our team?

That's the problem isn't it? you had to speak about his past. He's not that player anymore, far from it. Helm would score much better this season with Hudler on his line and some stability. He can do everything we need from the 3rd line center, everything. Modano fits fine but we don't need him. We have to many forwards as it is. We probably lose Ritola for nothing and maybe more. Why to fill a spot that that's already occupied by a great young player? This isn't pre lockout, where you can sign a vet to play every position.

This is short sided thinking, it's a bad practice. I hope the guy just retires.

#931 hillbillywingsfan

hillbillywingsfan

Awww poor butch

• Gold Booster
  • 3,586 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 11:18 AM

doesn't go so well.

have you watched the wings in the past 10 years?? have you really seen them really screw up any signings? This is a signing just like with drake and everyone on the team knows that. Thats how you need to look at this really. It;s not like we need alot anyways....added modano would just make an already great team that much better and you can bet the holland and the boys wont let a 1-2 year deal screw this team up.

That's the problem isn't it? you had to speak about his past. He's not that player anymore, far from it. Helm would score much better this season with Hudler on his line and some stability. He can do everything we need from the 3rd line center, everything. Modano fits fine but we don't need him. We have to many forwards as it is. We probably lose Ritola for nothing and maybe more. Why to fill a spot that that's already occupied by a great young player? This isn't pre lockout, where you can sign a vet to play every position.

far from it? did you really watch him in the past few years? i wouldn't say he's FAR from it.last 5 seasons he has avg over 20 goals 30 assists....thats on a dallas team thats not at our lvl really to be honest...now put that on a team like the wings that is all about the great passing that modano brings and there is no telling what he gets.

and remember how he was played on dallas the last few years.

Edited by hillbillywingsfan, 23 July 2010 - 11:19 AM.

msg-10491-1258682020.jpg

I LIVE IN TEXAS SO I DON'T DESERVE HOCKEY

#932 NomadFromKazoo

NomadFromKazoo

Kaz

• PipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 11:19 AM

That's the problem isn't it? you had to speak about his past

Is that all I did?

My point was that he's very good today as an NHL player, that is the standard and not how good he is compared to the peak of his own career. My point was entirely about Mike Modano today. He's very good.

#933 Pucks

Pucks

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 11:23 AM

I watched Modano play about 20 games last year. He's A ghost of his former self, that's a fact. Maybe some of that was environment, maybe he would be excited and passionate to play here? No one knows. He looked like he quit on his team to me, from the games I watched. His own team want's to move on, that's exactly what the Wings should do.

A few extra goals from the 3rd spot? Big deal it's not worth it.

Edited by Pucks, 23 July 2010 - 11:24 AM.

#934 hooon

hooon

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,260 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 11:30 AM

The parts in bold makes me laugh.

You make a LOT of baseless assumptions. Why would we lose Ritola for nothing?
Posted Image

#935 Pucks

Pucks

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 11:37 AM

The parts in bold makes me laugh.

You make a LOT of baseless assumptions. Why would we lose Ritola for nothing?

Thanks I am a funny guy. Helm looks like a guy waiting to emerge to me. He has all the tools. I think he could even play a support role on a scoring line, with all that speed and forechecking ability. He may never get that chance here since it seems like we want him to go backwards instead of forwards.

Why might we lost Ritola for nothing? Well, in hockey there are 12 forward, have you looked at our roster if you add Modano, Helm and Abdelkader? Do the math if you can?

I've had my say, no point in arguing around in circles with the clones. It's a beautiful day, I'm going outside.

#936 redwingfan19

redwingfan19

On a mission

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 11:42 AM

Thanks I am a funny guy. Helm looks like a guy waiting to emerge to me. He has all the tools. I think he could even play a support role on a scoring line, with all that speed and forechecking ability. He may never get that chance here since it seems like we want him to go backwards instead of forwards.

Why might we lost Ritola for nothing? Well, in hockey there are 12 forward, have you looked at our roster if you add Modano, Helm and Abdelkader? Do the math if you can?

I've had my say, no point in arguing around in circles with the clones. It's a beautiful day, I'm going outside.

yeah I agree with you but I think abby is a better fit on the third line than helm because he has the better hands and shot of the two but that's just from what i've seen of them. there is only a few of us (literally) who think this team doesn't need modano but as I have learned there just no point in arguing with the masses because it's a loosing cause. just do what i do and log on here everyday and hope to see "modano retires" or "modano signs with sharks" threads :)

P.S i would go outside but it is humid and thunderstorms..
You may not like tough hockey, but it's winning hockey.

Mitch Callahan: 48GP, 6G, 3A, 9PTS,+/- -3, 103PIMS

14 Fighting Majors

#937 hillbillywingsfan

hillbillywingsfan

Awww poor butch

• Gold Booster
  • 3,586 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 11:44 AM

yeah its good to call us names because 95% of hockey fans don't agree with you. that works.you may have watched the games but check out his stats for the past 5 years. now add those to a team like detroit....or do YOU not know how to read stats? maybe you should go outside and get some fresh air cause it seems you have been inside to long. ;)
msg-10491-1258682020.jpg

I LIVE IN TEXAS SO I DON'T DESERVE HOCKEY

#938 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 11:47 AM

yeah I agree with you but I think abby is a better fit on the third line than helm because he has the better hands and shot of the two but that's just from what i've seen of them. there is only a few of us (literally) who think this team doesn't need modano but as I have learned there just no point in arguing with the masses because it's a loosing cause. just do what i do and log on here everyday and hope to see "modano retires" or "modano signs with sharks" threads :)

P.S i would go outside but it is humid and thunderstorms..

I highly doubt people are going to get on other's cases if those people don't want Modano. If you don't want him, cool. I'd like him but I'm certainly not going to lose sleep if he's not a Red Wing. Nobody here is treating him like the greatest thing since sliced bread.

It's more along the lines, and incredibly aggravating, that some seem to still not get that Helm and Abdlekader are going to be with the team regardless, and are just worrying way too much about them possibly not being re-signed (when they already are) or stuff that nobody can predict years and years down the road. People need to be more patient and this is a situation that really isn't worth reading more into; there is nothing more to read into.

Edited by SouthernWingsFan, 23 July 2010 - 11:48 AM.

#939 Pucks

Pucks

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 11:47 AM

Also I just wanted to point out that the 3rd line is going to be a scoring line this year with Hudler whether it's Modano, Helm, Abdelkader or whoever else. Last year it was a AHL line. Everybody's numbers are going to be a lot better this season with a healthy team.

Now I really am going outside. I don't want to end up with 20,000 posts on a message board, that's just all kinds of sad. No offense.

Edited by Pucks, 23 July 2010 - 11:49 AM.

#940 Frozen-Man

Frozen-Man

Thanks for the memories

• Gold Booster
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 11:48 AM

If I were those guys I'd want want short term deals if this is how they're treated.

Yes, Helm and Abby have not been treated well by the Wings organization, that is something you often hear about this franchise. :rolleyes:

You post too much by the way, no need to be so controlling.

You mean controlling . . like trying to dictate what is the appropriate amount of posting.
Posted Image

Um, I think you mean shortsighted and also I don't think the phrase "still very good" is speaking about the past it is speaking of the present.

His own team want's to move on, that's exactly what the Wings should do.

His own team is not in the same situation as the Wings. The Wings should make the playoffs with a ripe and well developed team that has a legitimate shot at winning the Stanley Cup and only need to tweak their team. Dallas on the other hand did not make the playoff and is rebuilding their team for future success. It is not the same to compare what Dallas needs and what Detroit needs.

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." - Mark Twain