• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1068 replies to this topic

#961 NomadFromKazoo

NomadFromKazoo

Kaz

• PipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 03:06 PM

I'm in the minority on MO. Not because I don't like him or think he is too old but because the Wings likely have some contracts coming off the books after this season and that 1 to 1.5M would go a long way towards bringing a player into the fold at the trade deadline in case of injury or if there is someone available they'd like long-term.

What you say is reasonable. You never know what'll happen, you have to roll the dice that whatever you do works out better then what could happen in other scenarios. But the odds getting a player like him helping us over keeping options open to see what happens seems worth it to me. We've picked up guys at the trade deadline who stayed, but we've picked up guys like Clark who left anyway. Modano's a good player.

I think that is a legitimate argument. I personally think the benefit is worth the risk but understand your point. Its the not wanting him because he is no longer a superstar or that he was a -6 last year that I don't get.

I'm with you in wanting Modano, but I agree this is a lot better argument then that Helm &/or Abby are going to be mad at us for signing him.
Frank Herbert: Fear is the mind-killer

Groucho Marx: Sincerity is the key to success. If you can fake that, you've got it made

George Patton: If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking

Doctor Who: Don't turn your back, don't look away, and don't blink

#962 Frozen-Man

Frozen-Man

Thanks for the memories

• Gold Booster
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 03:12 PM

I'm with you in wanting Modano, but I agree this is a lot better argument then that Helm &/or Abby are going to be mad at us for signing him.

I know, it cracks me up, you'd think it was junior high and who is your best best friend. :lol:

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

#963 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,340 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 03:14 PM

No time for nostalgia!
http://sports.espn.g....ott&id=5403991

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Burnside

No time for nostalgia
It will be interesting to see how the Mike Modano saga plays out. Will he retire? Will he go "home" to Michigan and give it one last shot with the Red Wings? (Detroit coach Mike Babcock said publicly he thinks it's a given Modano will be a Red Wing come October.)

To us, this is where nostalgia runs smack dab into reality.

Modano missed 23 games to injury last season while scoring 14 times from a mostly third-line position on the Dallas Stars. He averaged 14:18 a night in ice time and scored just three times on the power play. Modano scored just 15 times in 2008-09 and posted only 12 power-play goals over the past three seasons.

We're not sure exactly how he fits into the Wings' plans to rebound from a trying, injury-plagued 2009-10 campaign that saw them fall in the second round to San Jose.

It's not an issue of whether Modano has the will to lace 'em up in September or October; but what is his will to play out an entire season? That seemed to be an issue in Dallas the past couple of seasons and explains in part why the Stars made the choice to walk away from a player who has been the face of the franchise for two decades.

If we were Wings GM Ken Holland, we'd take a run at Bill Guerin or Paul Kariya to add veteran scoring punch and give one of your young prospects a shot at centering the third line. Less nostalgic, perhaps; but, in the long run, we're guessing it would be a more productive move with less potential for dressing-room headaches.

Outside I must :)

If Billy Guerin can't be a 30 goal scorer with Sidney Crosby as his center then he isn't going to do s*** here on the third line.

Posted Image

#964 hooon

hooon

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,261 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 04:06 PM

I know, it cracks me up, you'd think it was junior high and who is your best best friend. :lol:

I heard Helm uninvited Holland to his birthday party at the batting cages...
Posted Image

#965 Frozen-Man

Frozen-Man

Thanks for the memories

• Gold Booster
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 04:11 PM

I heard Helm uninvited Holland to his birthday party at the batting cages...

:hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical:

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

#966 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,922 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 04:19 PM

I'm thinking that Helm and Abby probably grew up watching hockey and will not be offended in the least that their contracts are taking a few weeks longer considering that they might get the chance to play with Mike Modano.

The guy's pretty famous. It would be very cool to say that they played with him.

Right now it's not "Do we play in Detroit?" it's "Do we play with Modano?"

If their jobs were on the line, then I could see some trepidation.

#967 thomaz5

thomaz5

Draftee

• 8 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 05:04 PM

Wow Modano isn't worth arguing about.<br>

Edited by thomaz5, 23 July 2010 - 05:05 PM.

#968 Z and D for the C

Z and D for the C

This is the TBL forum, right?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,033 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 05:07 PM

I'm thinking that Helm and Abby probably grew up watching hockey and will not be offended in the least that their contracts are taking a few weeks longer considering that they might get the chance to play with Mike Modano.

The last article where Holland talked about Helm and Abds, I got the impression that it was actually them (Helm and Abds) who wanted to hold off on signing pending on Modano because if Modano signs I think they both want 1 year deals, otherwise 2+. I think Holland would have signed them by now if it was up to him.

Just cause you look like the gimp don't mean you play like the gimp!

#969 Hatethedrake!

Hatethedrake!

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 05:35 PM

The New Jersey Devils are now interested in signing Mike Modano. Lou Lamoriello has offered a 17 year deal worth $20 million. Modano gets 1 million a year for the first 16 years and then when he turns 57 he gets 4 million.
Jordan Tootoo will wreck shop.

We need someone like Parise that can penetrate the box.-blueadams

#970 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 08:18 PM

Mikey just texted me and said you guys are all assholes.

esteef
"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#971 hillbillywingsfan

hillbillywingsfan

Awww poor butch

• Gold Booster
  • 3,588 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 12:02 AM

esteef

Tell Mikey he better have my bean pie when I get home or I'm gonna kick his ass.
msg-10491-1258682020.jpg

I LIVE IN TEXAS SO I DON'T DESERVE HOCKEY

#972 Hatethedrake!

Hatethedrake!

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 12:04 AM

esteef

I have to wait until August to decide whether or not my feelings are hurt. Babcock has a gut feeling that I will not be offended by it. But I need time to think about it.
Jordan Tootoo will wreck shop.

We need someone like Parise that can penetrate the box.-blueadams

#973 mjtm77

mjtm77

mjtm77

• PipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 01:56 AM

Also I just wanted to point out that the 3rd line is going to be a scoring line this year with Hudler whether it's Modano, Helm, Abdelkader or whoever else. Last year it was a AHL line. Everybody's numbers are going to be a lot better this season with a healthy team.

Now I really am going outside. I don't want to end up with 20,000 posts on a message board, that's just all kinds of sad. No offense.

:thumbup:
Posted Image

#974 Wings4Life19

Wings4Life19

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 05:37 AM

why are people assuming that if modano signs with detroit he will automatically get more ice time than Helm or Abby? i understand that he will be penciled in at 3rd line center but last time i checked everyone had to earn their spot on the roster. if helm and abby outwork and outplay modano babs will give them more ice time, you think that holland isnt constantly looking for things to make the team better? competition is a very good tool that holland and babs can use to get guys to give 110% on every shift, and make sure that they will be playing in the next game. who knows maybe helm, abby, miller, draper, and eaves beat him out and modano becomes the 14th forward.

#975 redwingfan19

redwingfan19

On a mission

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 10:47 AM

why are people assuming that if modano signs with detroit he will automatically get more ice time than Helm or Abby? i understand that he will be penciled in at 3rd line center but last time i checked everyone had to earn their spot on the roster. if helm and abby outwork and outplay modano babs will give them more ice time, you think that holland isnt constantly looking for things to make the team better? competition is a very good tool that holland and babs can use to get guys to give 110% on every shift, and make sure that they will be playing in the next game. who knows maybe helm, abby, miller, draper, and eaves beat him out and modano becomes the 14th forward.

yes and if everyone outplays modano and he ends up in the press box the 1.25M cap hit and the signing looks awful ala J Will. and if this is the case signing isn't worth it IMO because there is a really good chance this scenario could happen.
You may not like tough hockey, but it's winning hockey.

Mitch Callahan: 48GP, 6G, 3A, 9PTS,+/- -3, 103PIMS

14 Fighting Majors

#976 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,846 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 12:25 PM

I wonder if this thread could hit 100 pages before he makes his mind up?
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#977 Broken 16

Broken 16

Bonecrushing Blueliner

• Gold Booster
  • 2,959 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 12:32 PM

I wonder if this thread could hit 100 pages before he makes his mind up?

He's waiting until he gets back on the ice to see how his body feels? Why is this so hard to comprehend?

#978 mindfly

mindfly

GRRRRR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 12:33 PM

We compare him to nick lidstrom and he decided within a week or so

#979 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,570 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 12:44 PM

If Billy Guerin can't be a 30 goal scorer with Sidney Crosby as his center then he isn't going to do s*** here on the third line.

Geurin sucks.

I wouldn't mind Kariya here, though he is way too costly for us. Is the off-season over yet? How boring.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#980 NomadFromKazoo

NomadFromKazoo

Kaz

• PipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 02:02 PM

if Modano signs I think they both want 1 year deals, otherwise 2+

How does that even make sense? If we sign one 40 year old center to a one year contract then two kids want a one and done contract so they can get out, but if we don't sign a 40 year old Center to a one year contract they are interested in staying 2+ years? Modano, one aging player will drive two kids away in years that he isn't even going to be signed for? Sorry, I don't get how that makes sense.
Frank Herbert: Fear is the mind-killer

Groucho Marx: Sincerity is the key to success. If you can fake that, you've got it made

George Patton: If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking

Doctor Who: Don't turn your back, don't look away, and don't blink