• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Drake_Marcus

Meech Files for Arbitration

Rate this topic

Thanks to LeBrun:

NHLPA announces 31 players filed for salary arbitration today: James Wisniewski, Ben Eager, Andrew Ladd, Clarke MacArthur, Greg Campbell,Blake Wheeler, Tim Kennedy, Ian WhiteAntti Niemi, Jared Boll, Anton StralmanFabian Brunnstrom, Derek Meech, Gilbert Brule, Jeff Drouin-DesLauriers,Jean-Francois Jacques, Brad Richardson, Mark Fraser, Matt Moulson, Daniel Girardi,Chris Campoli, Peter Regin, Daniel Carcillo, Cam Janssen, Nate Thompson, Tanner Glass, Jannik Hansen, Mason Raymond, Eric Fehr, Tomas Fleischmann, Jeff Schultz

(emphasis mine)

Holland must be happy about this. Meech's agent is deluded if he thinks the arbiters will hand his client a big salary for sitting in the press box.

Note that this doesn't necessarily mean Meech will actually go to arbitration. He could be signed well before his hearing date.

Edit: thanks to FireCaptain for the spelling lesson.

Edited by Drake_Marcus

He'd be DELUDED too.

haha.

Thanks to LeBrun:

(emphasis mine)

Holland must be happy about this. Meech's agent is diluted if he thinks the arbiters will hand his client a big salary for sitting in the press box.

Note that this doesn't necessarily mean Meech will actually go to arbitration. He could be signed well before his hearing date.

Theres alot of tasty 4th line grinders/fighters in that list...Carcillo, Boll, Janssen, Eager, Glass>Meech.

Meech definitely isn't the highlight of that list. :lol:

More importantly, neither has Jamie Tardif.

I don't think he has arbitration rights since he hasn't even made the NHL and signed a rookie contract.

I don't think he has arbitration rights since he hasn't even made the NHL and signed a rookie contract.

Lucky for Detroit. No doubt the arbitration would rule a multi-million dollar contract was deserved.

Lucky for Detroit. No doubt the arbitration would rule a multi-million dollar contract was deserved.

We'll see when we watch the Griffs games next season :)

I'm waiting for Callahan to turn 20 so he can join the Griffs and we can see if he's got the chops to fight as a pro.

I've never really understood arbitration.When a guy files for it,what's the point?Does this mean Meech will be a Wing next year for sure?I'm clueless when it comes to arbitration.

We've got his rights. But the Wings have three options when it comes to an arbitration decision:

1. Walk away and the player immediately becomes a UFA

2. Accept the ruling and pay them to play next season

3. Accept the ruling and trade the player off with a set contract (as specified by the arbiter)

Probably means Holland was trying to get him at the league minimum.

Most of you guys forget, Meech has been playing on a contract that was BELOW LEAGUE MINIMUM because of when it was signed. Arbitration doesn't necessarily mean the player wants a huge contract. It often means that the team and player have not come to an agreement, yet would like to and intend to. Meech could be asking for $850k and Holland offering $500k, and Holland might be spending more time negotiating with Eaves/Miller/Abby/Helm so Meech filed for arbitration to ensure he would definitely have a contract with the team because he is worth more than $500k.

Probably means Holland was trying to get him at the league minimum.

Most of you guys forget, Meech has been playing on a contract that was BELOW LEAGUE MINIMUM because of when it was signed. Arbitration doesn't necessarily mean the player wants a huge contract. It often means that the team and player have not come to an agreement, yet would like to and intend to. Meech could be asking for $850k and Holland offering $500k, and Holland might be spending more time negotiating with Eaves/Miller/Abby/Helm so Meech filed for arbitration to ensure he would definitely have a contract with the team because he is worth more than $500k.

His cap hit was under the minimum last season. His salary wasn't. His hit was slightly over minimum for the first two years.

And he's not worth more than $500k to us. We'd be better off without him. Maybe it will force us to get a real defenseman.

His cap hit was under the minimum last season. His salary wasn't. His hit was slightly over minimum for the first two years.

And he's not worth more than $500k to us. We'd be better off without him. Maybe it will force us to get a real defenseman.

Defensemen in Meech's age range who scored a similar PPG make between $500k and $1.5m. Another thing is that Meech can use Jonathan Ericsson's contract as a comparable, as given similar ice time Meech's offensive numbers come close to Ericsson's despite play time, plus Meech has the advantage of speed and is better than Ericsson defensively. Meech could end up with a contract at $525k, or he could end up with a contract at close to $1m. My bet is that he is signed before arbitration occurs.

Defensemen in Meech's age range who scored a similar PPG make between $500k and $1.5m. Another thing is that Meech can use Jonathan Ericsson's contract as a comparable, as given similar ice time Meech's offensive numbers come close to Ericsson's despite play time, plus Meech has the advantage of speed and is better than Ericsson defensively. Meech could end up with a contract at $525k, or he could end up with a contract at close to $1m. My bet is that he is signed before arbitration occurs.

If Modano signs here I think Meech is gone. The Wings will likely use the 6th defenseman spot to inject hitting, a bit of fighting and a stable veteran presence on the 3rd pairing.

I am officially tired of this garbage- for starters the dude was making absolute peanuts up until this point and was likely offered much the same again and filed for an arbitration so he could likely get closer to the 1m mark, darn him that greedy punk (/sarcasm).

Secondly, the guy is 26 years old and has played a whole whopping 126 NHL games in the last four seasons, majority of those NOT at his given position. And yet when he's actually playing his given position he's not bad. But he's horrible, never going to be anything, and we should get every washed-up, 30-something year old defensemen that's possibly better than Meech, that doesn't understand how business is conducted in Detroit, and possibly can't skate worth crap but oh, he's 6'+ and has a "mean streak" ...that leads straight to the penalty box. Excellent.

I say good for Derek Meech, and he'll be playing some quality minutes for someone this year. And if it's not Detroit, well then you can just add him to the list of guys Detroit HAD that maybe they should've kept.