• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

CenterIce

Holland thinks he is close to signing Eaves, Miller, and Meech

Rate this topic

I'm sure he is getting looks from other teams who are willing to offer him a little more money. He knows he will be getting more ice time with the Wings in the near future once he establishes a more offensive threat.

My bet is that Kenny is waiting for Modano before he does anything and he has let our RFA's know that

I personally dont mind Meech he did ok for us last season in the games he got into, i think i just like having him because he can fill a hole upfront or in the back, but if we had to let some guys go id let Lebda,Meech,Miller and Lils go

I like the idea of keeping Meech too. Don't really see why he gets so much hate. It's a great depth signing.

I know, it's not like he's 30-something with a lengthy sports-related medical record or something of this nature- the guy's TWENTY-SIX years old he's only going to get better IF he actually plays his given position.

The deal with Helm and Abdelkader is a bit unnerving in that it's not like the organization has so much as a direct replacement for one of them let alone both.

If they are going to re-sign Eaves and Miller right now, and try to bring in Modano as well, that seems to push Ritola right out the door before he ever gets the opportunity to start with the big club. Can't say I like that very much.

It doesn't necessarily mean that Ritola is the odd man out. However, one of he and Miller will likely have to go if there is another signing. I think the plan is to trade one of them for picks if we need to free up roster space.

Guest mindfly

If they are going to re-sign Eaves and Miller right now, and try to bring in Modano as well, that seems to push Ritola right out the door before he ever gets the opportunity to start with the big club. Can't say I like that very much.

They can afford to do that because Ritola is, no matter how you look at it, redundant to this team, they got many promising prospects ready in 2 years or so

for the millionth time - RE-SIGNING MEECH IS ABOUT RETAINING ASSETS

They WILL move him, or waive him, but why would you just let him go to UFA without qualifying him first to see if you can at least get something in return, before you just let him walk?!?!

Keep things in perspective people...

It doesn't necessarily mean that Ritola is the odd man out. However, one of he and Miller will likely have to go if there is another signing. I think the plan is to trade one of them for picks if we need to free up roster space.

Good point, I hadn't considered the prospect of a trade. They can sign both and go over the cap before the season starts and have time to deal one of them.

Nobody else wants Meech; he's neither a good Dman, nor a good forward.

Meech, and Miller are not needed; would rather see Holland spend his time, and salary cap on more useful players.

how are you going to reply to my post and COMPLETELY disregard the guts of the post????

They WILL move him, or waive him, but why would you just let him go to UFA without qualifying him first to see if you can at least get something in return, before you just let him walk?!?!

Just because they're retained, does not mean they are going to be on the roster, or "taking up cap space"

Think he's got his priorities a bit mixed up. Helm and abby should be a done deal before the others get signed.

No. He has his priorities correct.

Helm and Abdelkader:

--Do not have arbitration rights

--Will be signed to multi-year deals with an eye toward minimizing the cap hit

--Are in a disadvantageous position to sign long deals due to their lack of production and thus their agents will resist the idea of signing them cheaply for a long time even if that's all they can really bargain for

--These two deals are the most time consuming for Holland because there will be more negotiating involving trading term and yearly cap hit as well as arguments about the financial value of upside

--In reality Abdelkader doesn't deserve a raise since he was overpaid last season for what he provided. Holland won't pay a million to score a couple of times a year. Is he a checker or a player with offensive potential. His AHL stats tells you one thing and his NHL stats tells you another. This means the two sides will likely be farther apart at the start of negotiation

Eaves, Miller and Meech:

--Not core players

--Holland will be looking at one year deals to keep the cap hit low and the roster flexible

--The players will be more likely to sign 1 year deals in the hope that they can produce a better season next year

--All three have arbitration rights which means their contracts need to be sorted out as soon as possible

Helm and Abdelkader:

--Are in a disadvantageous position to sign long deals due to their lack of production and thus their agents will resist the idea of signing them cheaply for a long time even if that's all they can really bargain for

--These two deals are the most time consuming for Holland because there will be more negotiating involving trading term and yearly cap hit as well as arguments about the financial value of upside

--In reality Abdelkader doesn't deserve a raise since he was overpaid last season for what he provided. Holland won't pay a million to score a couple of times a year. Is he a checker or a player with offensive potential. His AHL stats tells you one thing and his NHL stats tells you another. This means the two sides will likely be farther apart at the start of negotiation

Eaves, Miller and Meech:

--Not core players

--Holland will be looking at one year deals to keep the cap hit low and the roster flexible

--The players will be more likely to sign 1 year deals in the hope that they can produce a better season next year

--All three have arbitration rights which means their contracts need to be sorted out as soon as possible

I agree with everything you said, with the exception of one part - Eaves not being a core player - I think he needs to be locked up long term and hasn't even scratched the surface of what he's capable in the Winged Wheel...

Helm and Abdelkader:

Eaves, Miller and Meech:

--Not core players

:thumbup:

Thank you, I was tihnking more people would catch onto this but I guess not. Holland said they are going to resign him but also said he will be moved at the beginning of the season if a role isn't found for him. Hopefully he is part of a trade that gets us one of those rfas that went to arbitration.. Tanner Glass or Jared Boll please

Why does everyone assume Eaves is a better choice than Miller? Because he scored 20 goals as a rookie?

I like Eaves' upside more but you can't discount how important Miller was to the penalty kill. With that in mind I'll break down the statistical contribution of each player below.

Regular Season:

Games Played:

Eaves 65

Miller 80

Winner: Miller is more durable

Goals:

Eaves 12 (0pp, 1sh, 1gw)

Miller 10 (1pp, 1sh, 3gw)

Winner: Eaves, although Miller had 3 game winners to his 1 and was more useful on the PP.

Plus/Minus:

Eaves 0

Miller +2

Winner: Miller

Time on Ice:

Eaves 13:26 TOI/G ; 2:16 SH/G ; 0:19 PP/G

Miller 12:42 TOI/G ; 1:49 SH/G ; 0:15 PP/G

Winner: Eaves, who was 2nd on the team in PK time per game (Miller was 3rd)

Real-Time Stats:

Eaves 128 Hits ; 44 blocked shots

Miller 97 Hits ; 47 blocked shots

Winner: Eaves (give away and take away stats were nearly identical)

Well statistically it looks like Eaves is the winner but they're both very close.

I agree with everything you said, with the exception of one part - Eaves not being a core player - I think he needs to be locked up long term and hasn't even scratched the surface of what he's capable in the Winged Wheel...

He could be a core player... time will tell. I want to give him another season here before I decide that. In truth I think Miller deserves another season as well since he has nearly identical stats as Eaves.

Well statistically it looks like Eaves is the winner but they're both very close.

He could be a core player... time will tell. I want to give him another season here before I decide that. In truth I think Miller deserves another season as well since he has nearly identical stats as Eaves.

The tipping points to me are that -

A. Eaves has a canon of a shot and is a right handed shot at that

B. Eaves has more of a mean streak

I don't want to necessarily give up on Miller either and thought he played VERY well for us, but if we sign Modano, SOMEONE has to go, so it becomes a matter of if you want to give up on:

Ritola (who we drafted and cultivated and hasn't even really been given a chance yet) or Miller...

then if you go ahead and add that 4th line "tough guy" as well (as Holland has said he is looking to do) then it means you pretty much have to cut ties with both...

abby played 8 minutes a night with may and maltby...... of course he is not going to score. Put him between bertuzzi and cleary and i bet he could score 10-15 goals 30 pts no problem. Plus everything else that he brings he is easily worth 1M.

I see him as a future 20-20 guy like cleary except hits more and will drop the gloves and if he is given a chance to center the third line this season I think he will surprise a lot of people.

Edited by redwingfan19

Again, agreed. Of all of our RFA's, I think Eaves is the guy with the most potential to be a successful Wing for a long time. I really, really hope we lock him up long term. Keep the cap hit low, but give him security and a spot for the long run. He won't get Kronwall/Flip money, but I'd love to see a 5-year deal, and by the end of it, I would not be shocked to see him playing at or above the level of Kronwall/Flip.

Like you said, I don't think we've even scratched the surface yet. He's a guy that I really think could break out a most Franzen-style in the next year or two. I'm not saying he'll be a 40 goal guy like Franzen can be, but I think he's got a lot of offensive upside to his game...it's just waiting for a defining moment to break out and come to fruition. With more confidence and long-term security, in a great organization like the Wings, this guy can easily exceed his earliest expectations and production in Ottowa.

In any event, hearing that he's close to signing is great news.