Guest mindfly

Datsyuk-Zetterberg-Holmström

Bertuzzi-Filppula-Franzen

Cleary-Modano-Hudler

Abdelkader-Helm-Eaves

Lidström-Rafalski

Kronwall-Stuart

Ericsson-Kindl/UFA

(By having this lineup it's Draper as 13th forward (1.4M caphit as a extra forward sucks a bit but they won't trade him, Good bye RFA: Miller, Ritola, Goodbye UFA: Lebda, Lilja, Maltby)

I haven't really done the math, and we don't really know which caphit helm, eaves, abdelkader and modano(if he signs here) will have, is it possible to dress this team if helm, eaves, abdelkader gets 850k each and modano 1million? and the 6th D near league minimum (or stick with kindl)

Edit: Meech..hmmmmmm extra Dman perhaps, forgot about him.

Edited by mindfly

Guest mindfly

Yes but Hudler didn't really work as a top6 when they tried 2 seasons ago, hopefully his skating has improved when he played on the bigger ice in russia..

Cap wise it could work

according to capgeek

AUTO-GENERATED CAPGEEK.COM LINES

FORWARDS

Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Johan Franzen ($3.955m)

Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m) / Jiri Hudler ($2.875m) / Daniel Cleary ($2.800m)

Todd Bertuzzi ($1.938m) / Tomas Holmstrom ($1.875m) / Kris Draper ($1.583m)

* Mike Modano ($1.000m) / * Justin Abdelkader ($0.850m) / * Darren Helm ($0.599m)

Mattias Ritola ($0.517m) / * Patrick Eaves ($0.500m)

DEFENSEMEN

Nicklas Lidstrom ($6.200m) / Brian Rafalski ($6.000m)

Brad Stuart ($3.750m) / Niklas Kronwall ($3.000m)

Jonathan Ericsson ($0.900m) / Jakub Kindl ($0.883m)

* Derek Meech ($0.483m)

GOALTENDERS

Chris Osgood ($1.417m) / Jimmy Howard ($0.717m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS

(these totals are compiled using the bonus cushion)

ROSTER: 23; CAP: $59.4m; CARRY-OVER PENALTY: $0.050m

PAYROLL: $57.674m; BONUSES: $0.000m; CAP ROOM: $1.726m

this assumes the RFAs have the same cap hit and Modano gets $1 million. and we'll be getting rid of one of the forwards so that will free up a bit of space

Like I said earlier, if we have to give up young talent for Modano then I say no thanks. I'm tired of out young guys going to other teams and becoming stars. We really need to keep these young guys otherwise we will be drafting 1st and 2nd overall very very soon! I don't like us gambling our future with guys like Modano!

I am 100% down with that line up. I reeeally hope we keep Ritola though, I feel he still has tremendous potential and if we have to lose someone I guess the odd man out will have to be Miller as much as that pains me to say...

Edited by robb himself

Like I said earlier, if we have to give up young talent for Modano then I say no thanks. I'm tired of out young guys going to other teams and becoming stars. We really need to keep these young guys otherwise we will be drafting 1st and 2nd overall very very soon! I don't like us gambling our future with guys like Modano!

Drafting first or second overall, What? Are you nuts?

What player did the Wings give up that is a star?

Quincey, he is not exactly Lids now is he. He is a decent 3-4 d-man, maybe top pairing on a team weak in the top 2.

Flieschman?

Who has become a STAR that the wings let go?

What top 50 player have the Wings let get away from them via trade or before they were a UFA?

Guest CaliWingsNut

Thanks for yet another lines thread.... as if putting your name on it made it better than the other 5.

Quincey, he is not exactly Lids now is he. He is a decent 3-4 d-man, maybe top pairing on a team weak in the top 2.

Flieschman?

What top 50 player have the Wings let get away from them via trade or before they were a UFA?

Opie, all I'm saying is we need to quit giving guys away for guys that are only gonna be here for a year and at the most 2. Sure, Quincey isn't Lids, but there will never be another Lids. Trust me, I want to win and win every year, but gambling the future for a guy that may work out or may not I just do not think is worth it!

Guest mindfly

Opie, all I'm saying is we need to quit giving guys away for guys that are only gonna be here for a year and at the most 2. Sure, Quincey isn't Lids, but there will never be another Lids. Trust me, I want to win and win every year, but gambling the future for a guy that may work out or may not I just do not think is worth it!

Red Wing future from within:

Smith, Tatar, Ferraro, Nyquist, McCollum, Mursak, and then 5 years away... Sheahan, Jarnkrok, Pulkkinen etc

Those are future players, not Meech, Miller, Ritola etc

Ok, well then since you changed from Star player to a future player, whom would the Wings lose in the signing of Modano who is not a gamble themselves?

Ritola?

Sure Modano is a gamble, he could show his age and turn out to be a horrible decision for Holland, he also could turn out to be a 40 point producer who gives the wings a serious third line.

And the cost to make that move would quite simply be to let Ritola walk.

Ritola could be a 40 point producer, highly unlikely, he could also turn out to be a career AHLer.

Both are a gamble. It is not like they would be losing Tatar, Nyquist, or Ferraro, whom look to be the top forward prospects. And when they are ready (Tatar could be this coming season, could be next year) would be of more value to the Wings than Ritola, Meech, or Kindl (IMO).

It is not like Abby or Helm are going to have to walk in order to make room for Modano.

What stars are you speaking of sir????

Flieschman?

Holland chose to trade Quincey vs Meech... sounds like he just made a rare mistake. It wasn't an issue of bringing in someone older to replace him.

Holland chose to trade Quincey vs Meech... sounds like he just made a rare mistake. It wasn't an issue of bringing in someone older to replace him.

I wouldn't classify it as a mistake, one he could get return on and the other no one would have claimed off of waivers.

I think it was more of a favor to Quincey, to give him a chance to use his recent(at the time) post season success and get some playing time.

Both were slotted to be the 7th d-man in Det, Quincey was going to get serious minutes in LA that he would not have gotten in Det until about 5 other guys retired.

Well...... I suppose its a catch 22, but I just don't like the fact of signing a guy that may or may not work out at 1 to 1.5 million when we could sign two guys for that! Now not only are we out 1.5 million, but if Modano gets hurt we have to bring someone up that may not be ready just yet. I understand that WE HAVE NOT GIVEN UP ANY STARS YET, but we seem to keep mortgaging the future on older players. No doubt that Modano will make the third line killer and the second power play line better, I'm not saying I don't want Modano on the team, I just don't want to lose young talent because of it.

Since I just read that Meech filed for arbitration, this may not matter anymore.

Cleary-Modano-Hudler

Abdelkader-Helm-Eaves

Lidström-Rafalski

Kronwall-Stuart

Ericsson-Kindl/UFA

Looks pretty good, and gives us a lot of room to move around as well.

Datsyuk or Zetterberg can drop down a line if need be to mix things up. Everyone on our third line (Modano, Cleary, and Hudler) can get second line time if they step up their game and play well. Or in the event of injuries. Hell, I'd say that as a third line could become our second line from time to time, depending on how Bert plays, if Franzen is healthy, and if Flip is streaking or not.

Having Abbey, Helm, Eaves, Draper rotate the fourth line is pretty solid for a grind line. With obviously a little talent in the pool at GR to sneak in for a few games here and there. IMO this roster has more depth than our roster has had in a few years. As noted by Draper being an alternate instead of being the main 4th line center I think we'd be better prepared to handle a few injuries (knock on wood), and our Power Play should improve. Our depth scoring has probably the highest potential in the league, if Modano can put up 30-40 points, Hudler is good for another 40+ Points (Kenny's talked about how he wants to see 60+ out of him). Cleary will chip in a few. And that's our THIRD line.

This, is of course, assuming Modano signs. Heh.

Cleary-Modano-Hudler

Abdelkader-Helm-Eaves

Miller

Looks good but now add him to the mix. When I see all of that I just don't see the need to add Miller....His $ was good I must say and he can just hang GR for most of the season and be ready for a call up. Beats calling up Malts or someone else. So not terrible I guess.

Cap wise it could work

according to capgeek

FORWARDS

* Mike Modano ($1.000m) / * Justin Abdelkader ($0.850m) / * Darren Helm ($0.599m)

DEFENSEMEN

* Derek Meech ($0.483m)

GOALTENDERS

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS

this assumes the RFAs have the same cap hit and Modano gets $1 million. and we'll be getting rid of one of the forwards so that will free up a bit of space

i'm liking the look of this roster, but i'd work out a deal with yzerman sending draper to the bolts as he would be much more useful there for his last year or two and provide some much needed veteran leadership for tampa. i want ritola to get some ice time and prove the vast majority of LGW wrong about him.

Cap wise it could work

according to capgeek

FORWARDS

DEFENSEMEN

* Derek Meech ($0.483m)

GOALTENDERS

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS

why would helm take less then abdelkader, when Helm is more proven that him. Helm scored the GWG that sent then to the finals 2 years ago.

With the contracts for Helm and Abdelkader taking a bit longer, and the speculation that they will be longer term deals, it makes me think both will be anywhere from 850K to 1 million...

Edit: Also, let's not forget that the RFA's need to be given a raise under the CBA. The exact percentages are somewhere in another thread.

Edited by Jesusberg