• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Z and D for the C

Ritola, Miller or Eaves?

Rate this topic

79 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I think it's pretty much a given at this point that Modano is going to sign here. But, unless Kenny pulls off a Miracle, we're going to have to dump one forward. I don't think we have the cap space to keep them all and, as it is, (I'm 99% sure anyway), we can't send Ritola, Miller, Eaves, Helm or Appledecker down to GR. So it looks like we'll have to lose one of them. Helm and Abdelkader are givens on the team, obviously. I question your reason if you'd rather lose one of them. I also think Eaves is a shoe in but I included it in the poll anyway, maybe not everyone thinks like me.

In my opinion, it comes down to Ritola and Miller, and it's close. I like Miller a lot and I would hate to lose him, but I think his role is the most redundant (while being the least-good at it). Eaves would be the other player in the same role, but he is much better IMO. Miller, I think, has pretty much exhausted his potential, whereas Eaves can still be a solid offensive contributor while being very good on the PK like he was last year. I think it would be a mistake to lose Ritola because he still does have potential, and while he might not get a great chance this year, he can still have an opportunity to show it, especially with injuries that are bound to happen. Plus I would hate to lose him in favor of Miller and see him become a 60/70 point player later on.

So in the end I would mind the least losing Miller.

I didn't read the question and voted Eaves. I thought it was who we wanted to keep <_<

I did the same at first - go back and delete your vote, that's what I did...

As long as Patty Eaves is here for the long haul, I'm happy...

Maybe because Miller has a teeny tiny bit more upside than Modano.

you definitely can't argue that Modano gives you a much better chance to win NOW though... I'm willing to sacrifice losing Miller and Ritola for a one year deal on Modano as long as the brass still goes out and gets a mean SOB 4th liner and fills that D void

In my perfect world(with what's left now) we sign Modano, then we re-up Meech and trade the rights to Meech, Miller and Ritola to Columbus for the rights to Boll and a pick/prospect(or 2), then sign Hnidy to fill out the D

:ph34r:

Maybe because Miller has a teeny tiny bit more upside than Modano.

I'm just not seeing it. Miller will certainly be playing hockey longer than Modano, but Modano has leadership, offensive and defensive skills that I still consider to be above that of Miller's, and having another veteran presence on the ice and in the locker-room will be good for the younger guys that Holland wants on the team long-term. Heck, Modano scored almost as many points last year as Miller has in his entire career, and Mike only played in 59 games.

I'm just not seeing it. Miller will certainly be playing hockey longer than Modano, but Modano has leadership, offensive and defensive skills that I still consider to be above that of Miller's, and having another veteran presence on the ice and in the locker-room will be good for the younger guys that Holland wants on the team long-term. Heck, Modano scored almost as many points last year as Miller has in his entire career, and Mike only played in 59 games.

Haven't we got enough, I mean really? Lidstrom, Draper, Holmstrom, Osgood? Chuck in Rafalski too.

And guys like Mursak, Tatar, Nyquist, the guys of our future, they wont be around when Modano is, rendering your whole point irrelevant.

Does anyone think there is a chance that it could be Draper? I know Kenny would never ask him to waive his NMC but don't you think Draper might approach him about moving him to a prefered destination (Toronto?). Does Draper really want to spend his last season on the Wings as the 13/14 forward? Even if Modano doesn't sign Draper will still at very best be the 13th forward or possibly 14th. He would only get into a handful of games because 2 regular players would have to be injured for him to get into the lineup. I realize that he brings tons of intangibles off the ice that are extremely valuable to the organization but don't you think he would consider asking Holland to move him somewhere where he can contribute more?

Modano will certainly help the future, he's an immediate improvement on the third line and offers a different mold of successful hockey player that helm, Abby, Ericsson etc. can take advice from.

I'll take a proven commodity over a marginal prospect every day on this current wings team.

Edited by Carman

We won't need to dump anyone based on cap space, it's going to come down to who earns the roster spots and possibly losing someone to waivers. If Holland decides he wants to keep everyone he will just park Abby in GR again, I know Abs probably wouldn't appreciate that but it is an option, and yes I know Babcock said he plans on Abby playing all year, that was before he planned on having Modano.

We won't need to dump anyone based on cap space, it's going to come down to who earns the roster spots and possibly losing someone to waivers.

And if we end up spending $1.5 million on Modano, but then Eaves, Abdelkader, Helm, and Miller all play their asses off in camp to a far higher level than Modano, will they really bench Modano and give the spots to them? I have a really hard time seeing a scenario in which we shell out all this for Modano then scratch him, no matter who "earns" what spot.

Modano will certainly help the future, he's an immediate improvement on the third line and offers a different mold of successful hockey player that helm, Abby, Ericsson etc. can take advice from.

I'll take a proven commodity over a marginal prospect every day on this current wings team.

Again...

That we don't already have?!

Where's the option to not sign Modano? I vote for that.

:yowza::clap:

Last I checked we didn't have an American HoF bound forward named Modano. If I'm wrong sorry.

Oh okay, last time I checked I thought we had enough leadership, without feeling the need to bring in more just to have a good ol' heart to heart with Abby and co.

Please re-sign Eaves at least. With a little work (and a little more ice time) I think he is a capable 20+ goal scorer. Thing is, Eaves HAS scored 20 goals before, so it's not something that he couldn't do again.

And if we end up spending $1.5 million on Modano, but then Eaves, Abdelkader, Helm, and Miller all play their asses off in camp to a far higher level than Modano, will they really bench Modano and give the spots to them? I have a really hard time seeing a scenario in which we shell out all this for Modano then scratch him, no matter who "earns" what spot.

None of those guys are as talented as Modano. They might bust their asses but that doesn't mean they'll get more results.

You can never have enough leadeship.

Modano has a much higher potential to put up points considering he as done it many times before.

If he wants to play another year I have no doubt he would be an immediate improvemnt over any internal

options.

I'm not worried about losing a marginal prospect. Quincy would not be the same player if we kept him, and he's really just a good offensive defenseman, not exactly what the wings needed in a bottom pairing.

You can never have enough leadeship.

Modano has a much higher potential to put up points considering he as done it many times before.

If he wants to play another year I have no doubt he would be an immediate improvemnt over any internal

options.

I'm not worried about losing a marginal prospect. Quincy would not be the same player if we kept him, and he's really just a good offensive defenseman, not exactly what the wings needed in a bottom pairing.

Despite leading (or coming close to) the Avs in shot blocks, hits, and although not always a true reflection, ice time?

Despite leading (or coming close to) the Avs in shot blocks, hits, and although not always a true reflection, ice time?

Damn youmust rate Lidstrom real low if you judge defense by hits and shot blocks.

I'm more or less seeing Quincy used in Colorado could not have been duplicated in Detroit.