• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Jasper84

Brett Lebda signs with Toronto

Rate this topic

Guest Crymson

If Lebda does even half-decently in Toronto, I guarantee there will be people bashing Holland for not re-signing him. Included amongst the people will likely be many of those who spent a significant amount of time bashing Lebda in the past. They'll accuse Holland of not seeing his potential; they'll accuse Babcock of using him incorrectly; they'll lament his loss and feel sorry for themselves. It'll be hilarious.

How do people figure Lebda will get 40 points?or even come close?He'll be a 3rd pairing defenseman and he won't be surrounded by nearly as much talent in Toronto as he was in Detroit.

Toronto doesn't even have one viable forward scoring line, and they have all of one defenseman (Kaberle) who can move the puck effectively---and that defenseman just so happens to suck at defense.

Adios partner.

In all seriousness I hope he gets some more playing time there and he'll somehow get into a more established role.

He had one here and did really well for himself his first few seasons here, but tailed off and didn't really improve whatsoever overall.

Best of luck to him with the Maple Leafs.

They'll accuse Holland of not seeing his potential; they'll accuse Babcock of using him incorrectly; they'll lament his loss and feel sorry for themselves. It'll be hilarious.

Pretty much what all Wings fans do when a guy leaves and does well elsewhere. Not really making any breaking news here. Might be funny but it happens with every single move that doesn't appear to work out well for the Wings and/or Wings fans. Ho-hum what can ya do? You will be Captain Eat the Crow! :thumbup:

Edited by HankthaTank

Guest Crymson

Pretty much what all Wings fans do when a guy leaves and does well elsewhere. Not really making any breaking news here. Might be funny but it happens with every single move that doesn't appear to work out well for the Wings and/or Wings fans. Ho-hum what can ya do? You will be Captain Eat the Crow! :thumbup:

Lang, Schneider and Bertuzzi really did badly after leaving the Wings. People forget about them when they complain about this sort of thing. If Lebda does badly, people will forget about his case and still go on the same self-pity trip (i.e. "IT HAPPENS EVERY TIME!!!!") the next time a player does leave and do better with another team.

Lang, Schneider and Bertuzzi really did badly after leaving the Wings. People forget about them when they complain about this sort of thing. If Lebda does badly, people will forget about his case and still go on the same self-pity trip (i.e. "IT HAPPENS EVERY TIME!!!!") the next time a player does leave and do better with another team.

Lang was on the downhill with the Wings. 62pts his first full season then 52pts his second...he hit 54pts when he left.

I grew up pretty close to Lebdas home town. We used to rent that ice in the video all the time. When they won the cup he brought it to a small bar 5 minutes away from my parents house. I didn't find out about it until later. I was hoping he'd win another cup in Detroit so I could be there the 2nd time. Too bad he wasn't good enough to stick around!

Brett Lebda: "This is the No. 1 hockey market in the world, everyone knows that. It's even a way step up from Detroit from what I can tell."

He's obviously referring to the WAY heavier media coverage. Hope he enjoys the microscope.

Brett Lebda: "This is the No. 1 hockey market in the world, everyone knows that. It's even a way step up from Detroit from what I can tell."

Lebda's obviously smart enough to know what keeps most Leafs fans going. They accept that their team sucks but they comfort themselves by saying at least they're the mecca of hockey.

Can't say I disagree with him. Playing for the Leafs is the equivalent of playing for the Yankees. They're gonna eat him alive there.

From Toronto Star :

“It’s going to make for good competition in the end. Sometimes you go to teams and you just float your way through training camp knowing that you’ve got a spot. Now, a few guys are fighting for their lives and I feel like I’m one of them. So I’ve got to be on my game every day and work hard and let the chips fall where they may,” he said.

Not only that, but he is right Toronto is the #1 hockey market in the world.

From youth hockey upwards.

Right. I hope for his sake, he plays well. Because the backlash over there will be 10X what is was here. God help him. :)

Lebda will be lucky to be in the regular rotation. As far as PP, he has a very good shot at being on the second pair, and would probably be the first spare if not, if he is in the top 6. If not, he won't get much PP time. And he won't get much ES time regardless; and NO time on the PK. Sounds like he might even get less time in Toronto than he got here, unless he manages to be a "coach's favorite" and get an unearned spot there too.

Guest Crymson

Can't say I disagree with him. Playing for the Leafs is the equivalent of playing for the Yankees. They're gonna eat him alive there.

He'll still be $2.9m richer, minus taxes.

Lebda will be lucky to be in the regular rotation. As far as PP, he has a very good shot at being on the second pair, and would probably be the first spare if not, if he is in the top 6.

Aye. Despite Toronto's absurd expenditure of cap space on defenseman, Lebda is really one of their only ones who can produce any sort of offense.

Aye. Despite Toronto's absurd expenditure of cap space on defenseman, Lebda is really one of their only ones who can produce any sort of offense.

Kaberle?

Gunnarsson is no slouch with the puck, either.

Oh, and Lebda will dress for the Leafs tonight against Ottawa.

Edited by MacK_Attack

Guest Crymson

Kaberle?

Gunnarsson is no slouch with the puck, either.

Oh, and Lebda will dress for the Leafs tonight against Ottawa.

Go back and note that I said "one of the only..."; yes, Kaberle is one of them, and he's indeed pretty much the only one with any significant offensive ability. Sadly for the Leafs, Kaberle cannot play both point positions on both power play units. White was quality, but he's gone. Phaneuf is, I will admit, decent, and Beauchemin can handle some offensive responsibility as well. However, half of the Leafs` d-corps in any given game will probably be incapable of any offense; Schenn, Komisarek and Finger are offensively incompetent.

This is the stage at which I laugh uproariously at the fact that the Leafs have more money tied up in defenseman ($28m) than they are currently spending on forwards ($22.5m) and still do not have anywhere near the best defensive corps in the league. The $7.35m expended on goaltending is also fairly amusing.

Great job, Burkie.

Edited by Crymson