• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Wings4Life19

Red Wings prospect camp

Rate this topic

Guest screwdahawks

http://blog.mlive.co...spect_camp.html

"Nill called Mitch Callahan "something we don't have ... he's going to fight anybody, one of those fan favorite type of players."

Mitchell Callahan's 5'10" and about 180 lbs of pure muscle, so don't assume that he's going to be a heavyweight, but I'd best describe him as a hybrid of Kirk Maltby, Darren McCarty, and Dallas Drake in their primes--he's a winger who adores playing a north-south game in which his speedy skating allows him to get in on the forecheck, bang bodies, and generate turnovers, but he can also dig out pucks and slide them out front to forwards for scoring chances, grind the puck out, or, again, work with a more offensively talented player (his partner in crime was Landon Ferraro) toe generate offense on the cycle, he possesses a mature defensive awareness for a player of his age, he absolutely works his butt off, his shot and pass are underrated, and, mostly...

He loves being a grinder, embraces the concept that it's his job to hit people and pi..I mean tick people off, and while he's missing his two front teeth and gets nicked up in the face a lot because he's a fearless player who is more than willing to drop the gloves, what impressed me most about Mitchell was the way his intelligence out-stripped his fantastic work ethic.

For a doofy-looking kid with a gap-toothed smile, he kept up with every drill, spoke to the coaches regularly when he needed clarification on the technical points of where they wanted him to go and where he should position himself to most aggressively cut off scoring chances against, get in on the forecheck, or create scoring chances himself, and he spoke like a young man who understood that it's both attention to detail and hard work would separate him from your every-day, nondescript grinder.

Really, I guess I'd say that he's the first real Dallas Drake-type player the Wings have had in their system since Dallas Drake came into town as an incredibly intelligent and incredibly annoying forechecker who had 10-15 goal and 30-40 point potential. "

:clap:

Scotty Bowman said Dallas Drake was the dumbest player he had ever coached.

I get to watch Callahan play aaaaaaall the time here in Kelowna! trust me guys...this is the kid weve been waiting for....hes nothing but energy...he hits, fights, and scores clutch goals...this guy is gunna be one of the best 3rd-4th liners weve had in a loooong time!

:thumbup:

Nice, he's gonna be adored here. So do you think he has really imrpoved this past season compared to the season prior? I know his scoring went up but how is his skating? Thats what I'm most concerned about. Also, is he a big hitter like a Drake type or does he just hit often kinda like Maltby?

If he plays like Drake he's golden to me because Drake was a huge hitter but Cally will probably be among the top fighters in the league with like 20 a year.

http://blog.mlive.com/snapshots/2010/07/red_wings_links_prospect_camp.html

"Nill called Mitch Callahan "something we don't have ... he's going to fight anybody, one of those fan favorite type of players."

Mitchell Callahan's 5'10" and about 180 lbs of pure muscle, so don't assume that he's going to be a heavyweight, but I'd best describe him as a hybrid of Kirk Maltby, Darren McCarty, and Dallas Drake in their primes--he's a winger who adores playing a north-south game in which his speedy skating allows him to get in on the forecheck, bang bodies, and generate turnovers, but he can also dig out pucks and slide them out front to forwards for scoring chances, grind the puck out, or, again, work with a more offensively talented player (his partner in crime was Landon Ferraro) toe generate offense on the cycle, he possesses a mature defensive awareness for a player of his age, he absolutely works his butt off, his shot and pass are underrated, and, mostly...

He loves being a grinder, embraces the concept that it's his job to hit people and pi..I mean tick people off, and while he's missing his two front teeth and gets nicked up in the face a lot because he's a fearless player who is more than willing to drop the gloves, what impressed me most about Mitchell was the way his intelligence out-stripped his fantastic work ethic.

For a doofy-looking kid with a gap-toothed smile, he kept up with every drill, spoke to the coaches regularly when he needed clarification on the technical points of where they wanted him to go and where he should position himself to most aggressively cut off scoring chances against, get in on the forecheck, or create scoring chances himself, and he spoke like a young man who understood that it's both attention to detail and hard work would separate him from your every-day, nondescript grinder.

Really, I guess I'd say that he's the first real Dallas Drake-type player the Wings have had in their system since Dallas Drake came into town as an incredibly intelligent and incredibly annoying forechecker who had 10-15 goal and 30-40 point potential. "

:clap:

Good write up. Kinda gets you pumped for 2 or 3 seasons from now when he makes the squad and bumps out Miller haha

Nice, he's gonna be adored here. So do you think he has really imrpoved this past season compared to the season prior? I know his scoring went up but how is his skating? Thats what I'm most concerned about. Also, is he a big hitter like a Drake type or does he just hit often kinda like Maltby?

If he plays like Drake he's golden to me because Drake was a huge hitter but Cally will probably be among the top fighters in the league with like 20 a year.

Good write up. Kinda gets you pumped for 2 or 3 seasons from now when he makes the squad and bumps out Miller haha

3-4 years from now maybe?

mule/dats/tatar

nyqvist/sheahan/zeterberg

nestrasil/abby/ferrero

cally/helm/mursak

home grown tough guy

smith/kronwall

ericsson/almqvist

lashoff/nicastro

erdhardt

mccollum/jimmy

this is assumed guys retire/not re signed and if these guys project to what there potential is

Edited by redwingfan19

3-4 years from now maybe?

mule/dats/tatar

nyqvist/sheahan/zeterberg

nestrasil/abby/ferrero

cally/helm/mursak

home grown tough guy

smith/kronwall

ericsson/almqvist

lashoff/nicastro

erdhardt

mccollum/jimmy

this is assumed guys retire/not re signed and if these guys project to what there potential is

I like the looks of that but Mursak will be a top 6 guy I think. Maybe switch him with Ferraro because Ferraro is grittier and tougher then Mursak and better for a 4th line role.