• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
xtrememachine1

Sharks sign RFA Niklas Hjalmarsson

Rate this topic

I know its all about paying for potential, but my point is that he's not likely to play at a high enough level the final two seasons of the contract to make up for his likely level the first two. Yes, a guy of Hjalmarsson's talent is likely to outplay this contract at the end, but the price is a shade steep for next year and possibly the following.

Nowhere am I saying it wasn't worth it though. Like I said in my initial post, great signing if your SJ.

My point is, that if he even plays as he did this past season and continues to improve at his rate, he's already worth at least 2.5-3 and should easily be worth that, or more by next year and the following two... who knows, sky's the limit... these are HUGE IF's, I'm just saying... long and the short if it, is that we both agree - great move by SJ :thumbup::)

Who would be their goalie?

Just like the whole Hudler can he or can't he KHL drama last year. No way that someone who already has a contract would be allowed to play in the KHL.

Hudler wasn't under contract... so, no

EDIT - Hence why we had to "sign" him this year...

Edited by stevkrause

I will give Chicago props for getting tons of picks to restock their farm system. As long as picks pan out they will have a swarm of young kids coming up again soon.

No doubt.

I think the Bowmans are doing a great job of restoring that franchise. Most teams try a longer range plan to someday win the Cup. Instead, they took their young guys and added expensive veterans and went for broke and won a frikin Stanley Cup. It seemed like they went from crap to winning the Cup in only two seasons. Vancuover's going on 40 yrs without winning the Cup. Now they have to lose a lot of guys, but they are restocking the farm while they still have a stud nucleus on the ice to remain competitive.

I for one say good job Chicago, good job Stan and Scotty.

Edited by T.Low

My point is, that if he even plays as he did this past season and continues to improve at his rate, he's already worth at least 2.5-3 and should easily be worth that, or more by next year and the following two... who knows, sky's the limit... these are HUGE IF's, I'm just saying... long and the short if it, is that we both agree - great move by SJ :thumbup::)

Totally....and just like most contracts, we'll have to moniter his continued devolopment over the course of those 4 years to see if it went from (what's right now) a good deal to what could potentially be an absolute steal by SJ (or CHI if they match).

Also, why would he willingly just "go to the KHL" (even if it were an option, which it's not because he's under contract) when he's making 5m here? that's asinine to even suggest...

Just some further information on how bad the draft next year should be:

http://www.thehockeynews.com/articles/24538-A-Scouts-Life-2011-draft-looking-weak.html

“I’ve been in this racket for 15 years and straight across the board this is the weakest draft. Straight across the board, without question.” – Canadian Hockey League scout.
“It’s funny you say that,” the scout said. “We were somewhere watching a game and there was a Russian scout there and he said, ‘You know what, in Russia it’s the same thing.’ That shocked me. I figured, ‘Holy, is this worldwide? Do we have bad water or something?’ ”

So maybe Chicago's picks won't be that good. That would be hilarious if they were all busts.

Just some further information on how bad the draft next year should be:

http://www.thehockeynews.com/articles/24538-A-Scouts-Life-2011-draft-looking-weak.html

So maybe Chicago's picks won't be that good. That would be hilarious if they were all busts.

That would be funny, but I still think it's WAY too early to predict how next years draft class will look - a LOT can change in a 16, or 17 year olds game, not only in a year, but in 6 months, or even 3 months... a lot can change...

I should of word it better. The NHL made a big fuse over a player who had no contract but filed for arbitration. In their eyes it was like he had a contract sense you have to play for what they decide. Huet already has a contract...so yeah no KHL for him.

I see this as a comparable deal to when we signed Kronwall. A little steep at the time, but a steal at the end.

Agreed - and Hjalmarsson is 2 years younger than Kronwall was at the time...

I should of word it better. The NHL made a big fuse over a player who had no contract but filed for arbitration. In their eyes it was like he had a contract sense you have to play for what they decide. Huet already has a contract...so yeah no KHL for him.

right on, sorry I mis-understood - we were basically arguing the same point!

:thumbup:

so will hawks fans be booing every player that left the team next year when they get the puck on their new teams or what. Im leaning towards yes because they are all bandwagon jumpers anyways, if they have any fans next year!!!

No because Kane and Teows are still on the team. Those are the only players they've heard of anyway.

first, the can't "send him to the KHL", not even an option and if I need to explain this, then you need to educate yourself...

second, you can't just "send someone to the AHL" there are ramifications there, even besides that whole, you know, an owner just eating 5 MILLION DOLLARS... the NHLPA could block the move for one, and ALSO, it sets a bad precedent for FA signings in the future...

What do you think the Capitals did with Nylander all year. They buried his cap hit in the AHL for the whole year and waived him every so often in order to try to get somebody to claim him. So you can "just send somebody to the AHL" If the owner is willing to eat the contract in order to have a better cap figure than it can be done.

http://www.kuklaskorner.com/index.php/psh/comments/how_to_offload_an_unwanted_salary/ This article states that Nylander could have been sent to the KHL had a deal been worked out between Washington, Nylander and the KHL team where the cap hit would no longer count against the Capitals Cap.

The Hawks also attempted to loan Khabibulin to the KHL before his contract expired.

The rumor is that Kotalik will be loaned to the KHL by the Flames so that his cap hit does not count against Calgary's cap. To do so he would have to be waived and then a deal reached but it can happen.

And if memory recalls I believe Bob McKenzie said Huet could be loaned to the KHL to take his cap hit off during the draft coverage.

So yes it is possible to do both those things. Maybe do your research before telling others they don't know what they are talking about.

If Chicago comes to an agreement with the KHL club and wants him to play there so that he doesn't count against the cap, yes it can happen.

Edit: As long as the Chicago Blackhawks, Cristobel Huet and a KHL club all want Huet to play in the KHL it can happen. If any one party disagrees then it cannot.

Do Sharks lose the picks even if Hawks match it?

No. Sharks only lose the picks if they get Hjalmarsson.

Edited by russianswede919293

No doubt.

I think the Bowmans are doing a great job of restoring that franchise. Most teams try a longer range plan to someday win the Cup. Instead, they took their young guys and added expensive veterans and went for broke and won a frikin Stanley Cup. It seemed like they went from crap to winning the Cup in only two seasons. Vancuover's going on 40 yrs without winning the Cup. Now they have to lose a lot of guys, but they are restocking the farm while they still have a stud nucleus on the ice to remain competitive.

I for one say good job Chicago, good job Stan and Scotty.

LMAO. Is this sarcasm? First of all, the Bowmans didn't "go for broke" and sign a million players, that was the all-knowing Dale Tallon, the Bowman's simply inheretid that mess after the deed was done.

In what way are they doing a good job at all? They've already lost about every single player that could. They only reason they are getting picks is because they literally do not have any other financial option but to dismantle their entire team...

I love the Bowmans but... a used band-aid could be doing what they are doing right now...

What do you think the Capitals did with Nylander all year. They buried his cap hit in the AHL for the whole year and waived him every so often in order to try to get somebody to claim him. So you can "just send somebody to the AHL" If the owner is willing to eat the contract in order to have a better cap figure than it can be done.

http://www.kuklaskorner.com/index.php/psh/comments/how_to_offload_an_unwanted_salary/ This article states that Nylander could have been sent to the KHL had a deal been worked out between Washington, Nylander and the KHL team where the cap hit would no longer count against the Capitals Cap.

The Hawks also attempted to loan Khabibulin to the KHL before his contract expired.

The rumor is that Kotalik will be loaned to the KHL by the Flames so that his cap hit does not count against Calgary's cap. To do so he would have to be waived and then a deal reached but it can happen.

And if memory recalls I believe Bob McKenzie said Huet could be loaned to the KHL to take his cap hit off during the draft coverage.

So yes it is possible to do both those things. Maybe do your research before telling others they don't know what they are talking about.

If Chicago comes to an agreement with the KHL club and wants him to play there so that he doesn't count against the cap, yes it can happen.

Edit: As long as the Chicago Blackhawks, Cristobel Huet and a KHL club all want Huet to play in the KHL it can happen. If any one party disagrees then it cannot.

No. Sharks only lose the picks if they get Hjalmarsson.

First - Too bad the player will have to want to play there and I HIGHLY doubt he has ANY desire to play in any league other than the NHL.

EDITED - Thought Huet was Canadian, although I still do not see him wanting to go to the KHL

Second - All of your examples were "attempted" - It is yet to be executed and it will not be executed, there is too much bad blood between the leagues for it to ever work and Huet would have to reserve his career to ending in the KHL if this happened, as this would merely suspend his contract and it would have to honored upon his return to the NHL and that would not happen...

Thirdly - Nylander is a broken down shell of what he was and they could rationalize waiving him... how are they going to rationalize waiving Huet and sending him to the AHL when his numbers are relatively consistent with what he has been his whole career and what he was when he was signed to that ridiculous deal... also, even though he's not his father - remember who Chicago's owner is - 5m is a lot to eat for a team that is already going to be a shell of what they were and not likely to make a deep playoff run this upcoming year ESPECIALLY if they get a key injury or 2.

Your arguments are flawed and unreasonable... he could still end up in the AHL (even though there would be ramifications that I doubt Chicago wants) but to even suggest the KHL is asinine...

LMAO. Is this sarcasm? First of all, the Bowmans didn't "go for broke" and sign a million players, that was the all-knowing Dale Tallon, the Bowman's simply inheretid that mess after the deed was done.

In what way are they doing a good job at all? They've already lost about every single player that could. They only reason they are getting picks is because they literally do not have any other financial option but to dismantle their entire team...

I love the Bowmans but... a used band-aid could be doing what they are doing right now...

Lets call a spade a spade, for what they were handed by Tallon, they've actually done a pretty good job at least receiving picks for assets to fix the mess they were dealt... it's just SUCH a huge mess, there's no way to fix it outright... it's going to take time, but they are definitely doing a good job with the hand they were dealt...

Edited by stevkrause

First - Too bad the player will have to want to play there and all of your examples are Russians or at least European, Huet is a Canadian and I HIGHLY doubt he has ANY desire to play in any league other than the NHL.

Huet is European, he was born and trained in France.

First - Too bad the player will have to want to play there and all of your examples are Russians or at least European, Huet is a Canadian and I HIGHLY doubt he has ANY desire to play in any league other than the NHL.

Second - All of your examples were "attempted" - It is yet to be executed and it will not be executed, there is too much bad blood between the leagues for it to ever work and Huet would have to reserve his career to ending in the KHL if this happened, as this would merely suspend his contract and it would have to honored upon his return to the NHL and that would not happen - see point 1

Thirdly - Nylander is a broken down shell of what he was and they could rationalize waiving him... how are they going to rationalize waiving Huet and sending him to the AHL when his numbers are relatively consistent with what he has been his whole career and what he was when he was signed to that ridiculous deal... also, even though he's not his father - remember who Chicago's owner is - 5m is a lot to eat for a team that is already going to be a shell of what they were and not likely to make a deep playoff run this upcoming year ESPECIALLY if they get a key injury or 2.

Your arguments are flawed and unreasonable... he could still end up in the AHL (even though there would be ramifications that I doubt Chicago wants) but to even suggest the KHL is asinine...

Lets call a spade a spade, for what they were handed by Tallon, they've actually done a pretty good job at least receiving picks for assets to fix the mess they were dealt... it's just SUCH a huge mess, there's no way to fix it outright... it's going to take time, but they are definitely doing a good job with the hand they were dealt...

Huet is not Canadian he is French. KHL is a possibility, and he COULD be waived. Would it make Chicago look bad, sure. You can't say it's not possible though.

Huet is European, he was born and trained in France.

I stand corrected - still not the best relationship between the French and Russians though, so I don't see how that makes it much more of a reasonable scenario...

Huet is not Canadian he is French. KHL is a possibility, and he COULD be waived. Would it make Chicago look bad, sure. You can't say it's not possible though.

I still think KHL would never happen - too much bad blood between the NHL and KHL... as for waiving, it is possible and I already said that, but it'd be a very bad move on their part as an organization...

One of the very few NHL players from France.

thanks for the heads up, learn something new every day!

I always thought he was French-Canadian...

Edited by stevkrause