• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
xtrememachine1

Sharks sign RFA Niklas Hjalmarsson

Rate this topic

Who would be their goalie?

Just like the whole Hudler can he or can't he KHL drama last year. No way that someone who already has a contract would be allowed to play in the KHL.

Chicago can send him to the KHL; it would be a loan to the team that he would be sent to and he would still be paid by the Hawks. The Hudler drama was due to the fact that he had agreed to the arbitration, and then signed the KHL contract. If Chicago chooses to loan him to a KHL team it would be no different than Michael Nylander, who is under contract to and being paid by the Capitals through the end of this coming season, but is loaned out to and playing for Jokerit of SM-Liiga.

But most likely Huet would go to the AHL, unless he requested another destination.

As far as Hjalmarsson, this might be a situation where the Hawks should trade his rights to a team that can afford him for something better than the picks they would receive. Perhaps they could deal him to Phoenix for Adrian Aucoin, Taylor Pyatt, and a mid round pick? Save $500k on matching the offer sheet, and spend it on two players instead of one.

Edited by eva unit zero

Well, it sure as hell seems (I rate it as "no other choice") that Chicago needs to get rid of Huet's cap hit whether it be the KHL or AHL route... reputation damaging as it might be.

If I were the Hawks I would match Hjalmarsson and let Niemi walk then sign another goalie on the cheao (Turco or Theodore)

I think Hammer's gone from Chicago and they're going to try to sign Niemi.

Chicago's gotta be working hard at not letting this get to the hearing.

Unless the arbitration comes back greater than $2.5 or they can't negotiate a hit at no more than $2.5 million, I don't see either of those two goalies as a viable option for Chicago.

Theodore might take less than $2 million/yr. contract as his value has fallen off and he could be the odd man out if WASH decides to roll with Varlamov and Neuvirth.

GP W L OTL GAA SV%

47 30 7 7 2.81 .911

That's not shabby, but Jose is fading not rising... Theodore/Crawford doesn't scream stability in net.

Turco turned down a $2 million/yr. contract from Philly. The Hawks can't afford to make that kind of offer to him, let alone the money that Turco thinks he worth.

Also, now that their stanley cup winning depth has been depleted... why would he go there?

Maybe by "Offer Sheets Don't Concern Me" He meant that he will match them :ph34r:

Even though the Hawks can always send Huet and whoever to the minors, what if the rest of the league decided to screw the Hawks over by not making any deals with them or whatever so that they start the season over the cap and have to forfeit every game? "You've forfeited the first twenty games? Okay now I think we'll talk."

Stan and Scotty Bowman have virtually nothing to do with the Stanley Cup winning roster... Dave Tallon built it, and the mess that came with it. As far as the off season, it's not a stroke of brilliance it's the obvious move to get draft picks for players. There isn't an option A B C or D... there is only an option A... shed salary, get picks in return... any GM would be doing the same thing, the best one and the worst one would have to make the same decision. No one is arguing that Scotty Bowman isn't one of the greatest minds in hockey and that his son Stan probably inherited some of that knowledge... We're just saying you can't credit, nor fault them for the Cup or the mess... let's see where Chicago is in five years before we go crowning Stan the savior of Chi-Town.

Dead on!

:thumbup::clap:

I still say there is ZERO chance Huet goes to the KHL (MAYBE SEL or FEL, but not KHL) and people need to stop acting like the AHL is a simple solution - there are ramifications for either move and Chicago will be affected with free agents due to either...

Dead on!

:thumbup::clap:

I still say there is ZERO chance Huet goes to the KHL (MAYBE SEL or FEL, but not KHL) and people need to stop acting like the AHL is a simple solution - there are ramifications for either move and Chicago will be affected with free agents due to either...

Which ramification do you think Chicago is more afraid of. Offending Huet and POSSIBLY other free agents, or not being able to ice a competitive team due to Huet's contract?

Easy choice. They will bite the bullet to have cap room over the image of honoring contracts to a fault...

Hate to break it to you, but there is no honor in the way they NEED to do business even if it isn't what they want to do.

They have already had to trade away half of their team that signed contracts after winning the cup, they already look bad, one more move in waiving Huet won't make them look that much worse.

I hear your point about honor and image, and that there are ramifications that will affect the way that free agents look at their team, but you are over valuing that concept.

When it comes down to cap compliance or honor, they need to pick cap compliance.

Waiving Huet gives them a better chance to fill out their roster and ice a competitive team, plain and simple that outweighs the honor of not waiving Huet.

It is a business, and that is how the decision will be made.

Which ramification do you think Chicago is more afraid of. Offending Huet and POSSIBLY other free agents, or not being able to ice a competitive team due to Huet's contract?

Easy choice. They will bite the bullet to have cap room over the image of honoring contracts to a fault...

Hate to break it to you, but there is no honor in the way they NEED to do business even if it isn't what they want to do.

They have already had to trade away half of their team that signed contracts after winning the cup, they already look bad, one more move in waiving Huet won't make them look that much worse.

I hear your point about honor and image, and that there are ramifications that will affect the way that free agents look at their team, but you are over valuing that concept.

When it comes down to cap compliance or honor, they need to pick cap compliance.

Waiving Huet gives them a better chance to fill out their roster and ice a competitive team, plain and simple that outweighs the honor of not waiving Huet.

It is a business, and that is how the decision will be made.

The fact of the matter is, you can argue that they ALREADY will have a hard time icing a competitive team with all the changes they've already had to make and they should do the right thing and just buy him out, they still have to eat some cap space - but as the old saying goes, they made their bed, they have to lie in it.

The long and the short of it is, that they are kidding themselves if they HONESTLY think they have a very good shot at making a deep playoff run (if even making the playoffs) with the lack of depth (all a team needs to do, is shut down that 1st line and they're dead in the water)

They'll have a lot better chance of becoming relevant sooner rather than later, if they can land free-agents without having to sign everyone and their brother to no movement clauses, just to lure them there - and THAT is a business move.

Maybe by "Offer Sheets Don't Concern Me" He meant that he will match them :ph34r:

Or that he knew he would just lose the player if they received an offer sheet because he wouldn't be able to match it, so why concern yourself with it. :lol:

Or that he knew he would just lose the player if they received an offer sheet because he wouldn't be able to match it, so why concern yourself with it. :lol:

or "PLEASE give offer sheets! Then I don't have to try and trade them and I STILL get draft picks without negotiating!"

losing a player via offer sheet is actually a good thing for Chicago with the shape their in...

Guest Hatethedrake!

So basically the Hawks have 8 good players now. Toews, Kane, Hossa, Bolland, Sharp, Keith, Seabrook and Campbell. Does this team even make the playoffs next year?

Edited by Hatethedrake!

So basically the Hawks have 8 good players now. Toews, Kane, Hossa, Bolland, Sharp, Keith, Seabrook and Campbell. Does this team even make the playoffs next year?

that's the million dollar question and you could easily argue that Bolland isn't a top 6 player anyway and won't be anywhere near as effective without the players around him...

It will basically be a matter of shutting down one offensive line and getting your top offense out on the ice against either of the bottom 2 d pairings and they can EASILY be exploited...

that's the million dollar question and you could easily argue that Bolland isn't a top 6 player anyway and won't be anywhere near as effective without the players around him...

It will basically be a matter of shutting down one offensive line and getting your top offense out on the ice against either of the bottom 2 d pairings and they can EASILY be exploited...

Hunter made him change his game to a more defensive one and he has stuck with it so far in the NHL. They will need him to step up with offense huge next year, which he is capable of. The guy was a monster for the knights.

Hunter made him change his game to a more defensive one and he has stuck with it so far in the NHL. They will need him to step up with offense huge next year, which he is capable of. The guy was a monster for the knights.

and Danny Cleary was a monster offensively with the Belleville Bulls - just because a guy can score in bunches in the OHL, doesn't mean it will cross over to the NHL... it doesn't diminish their value to their club, as they offer other intangibles, but they should not be counted on as HUGE point producers...

I think Bolland is exactly what he has been - A very solid, 2-way forward capable of 40-50pts a year... I think he's very good for what he does, I just don't think he is going to have a career year and I think, if anything, his numbers will slide back without the same depth of talent around him as he had the previous couple years...

Don't get me wrong - I think he's a very quality player, I just don't think he is going to be a big solution to the amount of offense they are losing (especially since the top lines will be easier to shut down without the same depth)

It's not a good sign when Bolland is one of your top players.

Guest Heaten

I was reading some of the Blackhawk's posts on their HF forum / and HFboards. This seems to be the general consensus of their fans:

-Apparently Hjalmarsson was the next coming to Nick Lidstrom, but now that Sharks offer sheeted him, he's an overrated player who will never develop into nothing more than an offensively inept 4th defenceman. Apparently they have kids in the system that are twice the player as Hjalmarsson is... for under $800,000 per year.

- Niemi was the next coming to Patrick Roy, but since he opted to take his salary to arbitration, Tolaska or Theodore can carry the team to the cup next year. - or Marty Turco will sign with the Blackhawks for under $1 million per for his last chance to win a Stanley Cup (Despite already being offer $6 million for 3 years by another team)

- Apparently 2011 draft will be the deepest and best draft we've ever seen the past 25 years.

- All their rookies and draft picks will develop into top NHLers because they have the best drafting and developing team in all of sports. They will, at minimum, surpass the players they lost... But chances are they'll develop into all-stars.

- Despite only having 14 players signed and only have $3.6 million cap space to sign 7 more players, there currently is no team in the NHL that can even come close to rivaling the Blackhawks next season.

I'm sure there are more, but this what I found so far....

I was reading some of the Blackhawk's posts on their HF forum / and HFboards. This seems to be the general consensus of their fans:

-Apparently Hjalmarsson was the next coming to Nick Lidstrom, but now that Sharks offer sheeted him, he's an overrated player who will never develop into nothing more than an offensively inept 4th defenceman. Apparently they have kids in the system that are twice the player as Hjalmarsson is... for under $800,000 per year.

- Niemi was the next coming to Patrick Roy, but since he opted to take his salary to arbitration, Tolaska or Theodore can carry the team to the cup next year. - or Marty Turco will sign with the Blackhawks for under $1 million per for his last chance to win a Stanley Cup (Despite already being offer $6 million for 3 years by another team)

- Apparently 2011 draft will be the deepest and best draft we've ever seen the past 25 years.

- All their rookies and draft picks will develop into top NHLers because they have the best drafting and developing team in all of sports. They will, at minimum, surpass the players they lost... But chances are they'll develop into all-stars.

- Despite only having 14 players signed and only have $3.6 million cap space to sign 7 more players, there currently is no team in the NHL that can even come close to rivaling the Blackhawks next season.

I'm sure there are more, but this what I found so far....

:lol:

thanks for the investigative reporting!