• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Remaining Free Agents

Rate this topic

If Modano doesn't come and we still need an extra 4th line guy, Metropolit is the answer. He was great in Montreal last year. He has hands for an old guy. He's got the experience and can win face offs. He has grit and is very well balanced player. Genuine plugger. If we can get him for the same or hopefully a little less than in Montreal I think he would be a great fit for 1 year. Give him one last shot at a cup. Juts my thoughts though, What do you guys think?

My main concern is filling the blueline if Lilja does indeed take off. I'd rather not fill 2 of our top 7 D-Man positions with kids. Ideally, I'd like to see Kenny bring in a defenseman who could work the 2nd PP unit: Good mobility and lateral movement on the line, cannon shot. I nearly went bald from all the PP chances we were wasting with the D refusing to shoot and forcing the puck down low. Of course, most of those are already signed now...

Mitchell would be great, only question really in my mind is risk due to his concusion. He gets pasted again, he could very well be done for. The questions around the concussion too may lead to a discount perhaps.

My main concern is filling the blueline if Lilja does indeed take off. I'd rather not fill 2 of our top 7 D-Man positions with kids. Ideally, I'd like to see Kenny bring in a defenseman who could work the 2nd PP unit: Good mobility and lateral movement on the line, cannon shot. I nearly went bald from all the PP chances we were wasting with the D refusing to shoot and forcing the puck down low. Of course, most of those are already signed now...

I'm completely comfortable with Janik back there or even having one of the kids back there if they really show they can do it in camp.

I think Nick and Rafi need to be split up on the PP. I'll give Rafalski credit for one thing and that is being effective on the PP. Nick won't need to cover for him on the PP so they can be split. Rafalski could play with Nik Jr. or Stuart. They both can shoot and he can set either of them up.

Madden nice shut down 3rd line center still.

Too expensive. He was making nearly $3m in Chicago last year. We have space at the moment, but still need to sign Abdelkader, Helm, etc.

It's possible he'd take a discount to play with a solid team, but I doubt it.

While they're not high-profile free agents, Slava Kozlov and Ruslan Fedotenko are also out on the market. Wouldn't mind seeing either of them or Poni come to Detroit, though that's not likely to happen considering the depth we already have + possibly Modano.

Franzen-Datsyuk-Zetterberg

Hudler-Filppula-Cleary

Bert-Helm-Abdelkader

Miller-Meech-Ritola

Lidstrom-Rafalski

Stuart-Kronwall

Janik-Ericsson

We dont need more players.

I cringed looking at that 4th line.

We definately need one or two players.

Edited by uk_redwing

Franzen-Datsyuk-Zetterberg

Hudler-Filppula-Cleary

Bert-Helm-Abdelkader

Miller-Meech-Ritola

Lidstrom-Rafalski

Stuart-Kronwall

Janik-Ericsson

We dont need more players.

You forgot Holmstrom. Also, Draper is signed and would likely play above Meech (who is not yet signed).

Guest Hatethedrake!

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Holmstrom

Franzen-Filppula-Bertuzzi

Cleary-Abdelkader-Hudler

Eaves-Helm-Miller

Draper, Ritola

Lidstrom-Rafalski

Kronwall-Stuart

Ericsson-Kindl

Meech

Howard-Osgood

We're fine.

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Holmstrom

Franzen-Filppula-Bertuzzi

Cleary-Abdelkader-Hudler

Eaves-Helm-Miller

Draper, Ritola

Lidstrom-Rafalski

Kronwall-Stuart

Ericsson-Kindl

Meech

Howard-Osgood

We're fine.

Datsyuk/Zetterberg/Holmstrom

Franzen/Filppula/Hudler

Cleary/Abdelkader/Bertuzzi

Miller/Helm/Eaves

Draper/Ritola

Lidstrom/Ericsson

Kronwall/Rafalski

Kindl/Stuart

Meech

Howard

Osgood

Fixed.

I think Mitchell would be a great fit but a friend I have who lives near Vancouver says he is still feeling the effects of the concussion he suffered last year. If Modano didn't sign go after Asham and hope Brendan Smith/Janik/Kindl can handle that last d-spot.

Drapers usefulness is getting limited but he can still play well enough for a 4th line role. Holmstrom had 25 goals last year and to say he needs to go because he's soft is just ridiculous.

bolded part could not be more true.

I know that it's always fun to imagine players that you like from other teams signing with the Wings, but as has been said already, we don't need any more players. We have too many forwards to fill 4 lines, and when Meech re-signs, we will have 7 defensemen as well. Getting into debates about who we should or shouldn't go after as a free-agent just seems to be wasting time at this point. As for lines and defensive pairings, I remember reading an article that someone posted a link to on this board in which Babs mentioned a couple of different lines that he wanted to use, but now I can't find it. Does anyone know which article I'm talking about, or have links to any other articles that mention what lines and pairs we are likely to use?

If the price is right, I wouldn't mind seeing Willie Mitchell in the Winged Wheel.

mitchell has the same problem as lilja had. Would he still be effective? If he could still bring that nastiness he had before the concussion I'd be all for it.

Sutton is still there, these guys' stocks are lowering, maybe sutton's age, mediocre playoff performance (minus the hits), and injury concerns are keeping his price low, maybe he would take a nice cut to play with a contender like the wings.

If the price is right, I wouldn't mind seeing Willie Mitchell in the Winged Wheel.

When I saw that the guy that knocked out Toews was a UFA I thought how cool would it be to have him. However I started doing some digging and Began to wonder if it would be a good idea. One, as mentioned before, he is coming off some injuries that could hamper his reliability. Two I found out that he got into a fight in a practice and began to wonder if that meant he was a problem in the locker room. I personally would like to see a hard hitting defense-men on the wings but with as little cap room that they have to play with, I think that if they sign a player to a fairly high contract then it has to be a sure thing.

Edited by hellsson