• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hockeytown0001

Osgood may retire following this season

Rate this topic

Osgood will be turning 38 this November and his contract is up after this season, so it is no surprise that people are already speculating that he will retire. I don't remember reading anywhere about Ozzie himself mentioning retirement, but he really doesn't have anything else to prove, other than perhaps wanting to win another cup before he retires. I hope he earns more playing time this season, he has a realistic shot at passing Grant Fuhr and Glenn Hall on the all-time wins list, and if he splits the starts pretty evenly with Howard, he may even catch Tony Esposito, pretty much guaranteeing himself a place in the HHOF.

Only thing I'd change in this statement is I hope he's given more playing time this season. Can't earn anything till he gets a chance to prove himself. Again.

I hope he improves his 5 hole.

Also, he and Babcock need to work out their differences, because it wound up becoming detrimental to us in the long run.

personally I think he needs to improve his glove, seems everyone knows thats his weak spot and they just shoot for it, needs to get his glove up there quicker.

As for the whole Osgood/Babcock and getting treated unfairly or whatever, it wouldn't surprise me, but nobody knows what's going on behind closed doors so life could be peachy neat between the two of them for all we know.

As for this past season, sure I would've like to have seen Osgood play more, but given the situation - Howard doing very little to justify getting benched on a consistent basis after Osgood went down with the flu or injury or whatever in December and the Wings having the unusual part of fighting tooth and nail for a playoff spot, Howard was going to be the guy unless he absolutely s**t the bed. Sure he did it here and there and for a game or two in the playoffs, but you can pretty much put any goalie on a list who does that from time to time, even the great ones like Hasek or Roy etc.

It wouldn't been great to see Osgood play a bit more, but the handling of goalies and what not was not the end of all end things that cost the Red Wings this season or the playoffs, it didn't really play much of a factor as some might want to believe.

I'd love to see Osgood play for a few more seasons.

Edited by SouthernWingsFan

This is a joke right? Because I laughed out loud when I read it.

I don't know how you can't call him one. Maybe Legend is a bit of an overstatement, considering only a few get the title. But still you can't argue with the way Ozzy has played and the types of numbers he has put up in his career. He DESERVES to be in the Hall of Fame without question.

I don't know why it was even referenced or why I couldn't quote it, but PUH-LEASE!!!, we all know that Eva was referencing legitimate comparisons to Osgood.

Martin "Fasto" Brodeur is in a completely different realm than Chris Osgood, and we all know it.

So please, it's not even worth the mention.

This is a joke right? Because I laughed out loud when I read it.

Legend might be pushing it, but "urban myth as truth"... how does that sound??

I hope he improves his 5 hole.

Also, he and Babcock need to work out their differences, because it wound up becoming detrimental to us in the long run.

I think this will be *LONG* forgotten by this upcoming season's end... if Babcock's legacy hopes to be as long-lived as Osgood's will be.

I don't know how you can't call him one. Maybe Legend is a bit of an overstatement, considering only a few get the title. But still you can't argue with the way Ozzy has played and the types of numbers he has put up in his career. He DESERVES to be in the Hall of Fame without question.

A-*******-men.

He will be a Hall of Famer, but I don't see him getting in 1st try unless its a weak class. I think the voters will keep in mind the fact his numbers were more a product of the teams he played on and not overwhelming stand out play on his part.

He will be a Hall of Famer, but I don't see him getting in 1st try unless its a weak class. I think the voters will keep in mind the fact his numbers were more a product of the teams he played on and not overwhelming stand out play on his part.

That same case could be made for a lot of players in the Hall.

I will agree in a way with that. I still think Ozzie did his part. Hell he might of had 3 SC for being a starter if it wasnt for him getting injured in 98-99 playoffs.

Bill Ranford :ranting: :flamingmad:

Edited by dragonballgtz

I will agree in a way with that. I still think Ozzie did his part. Hell he might of had 3 SC for being a starter if it wasnt for him getting injured in 98-99 playoffs.

Bill Ranford :ranting: :flamingmad:

Never understood what happened to him. He was lights out during the first 2 games but absolutely stunk the rest of the way. By the time Ozzie came back, the damage was already done. n

It's definitely the right time for him. Hopefully he and Draper will enjoy their last season on the Wings. Who know's it could be Lidstroms last as well. Good luck in whatever is next.

I don't think many people actually make the HoF without having a good team around them. While I see the point you are making, I personally feel that he has done enough on his own to make it.

I said in some thread last season that I thought Larsson would be the backup this year and Osgood would have retired. Honestly he could have a crummy job on some other team in the league, but he will not have a job here again. Babcock hates Osgood, and vice versa.

I still am pissed that Ozzie had a real good shot at clinching a hall of fame spot by getting just a few more wins, when things got rough Babs didn't even give him a shot at backup. He is going to have less then 20 starts again this season and they will be so spaced out the rust on the Wizard will make sure he has a pretty mediocre season.

It is a damn shame, I love him and think he deserves better. I was also hoping that we would have sent him to Tampa, he could have been a great starter for them, but they have Ellis now so they have no need for him. I just can't see anyspot for him that really would get him the wins he needs for that for sure Hall spot.

any spot for him that really would get him the wins he needs for that for sure Hall spot.

If Dino truly deserved to get into the Hall for playing 19 seasons, scoring 50 goals twice, 40 goals 4 more times, and only twice breaking 100 points in his entire career during the highest scoring period in NHL history...then Osgood reached Hall-worthy status at the end of 2003-04, when he cleared 300 wins and 40 shutouts.

Realistically, Dino shouldn't have gotten into the Hall before Bernie Nicholls did. More points, fewer games, higher peak...Nicholls is one of only five players to score 150 points, and one of 11 to score 8 points in one game, 12 including playoffs. Before you say "Yeah, but Gretzky..." Nicholls' 8-point game happened for LA in 1988...Gretzky did it twice in his career, for Edmonton in 1983 and 1984.

If Dino truly deserved to get into the Hall for playing 19 seasons, scoring 50 goals twice, 40 goals 4 more times, and only twice breaking 100 points in his entire career during the highest scoring period in NHL history...then Osgood reached Hall-worthy status at the end of 2003-04, when he cleared 300 wins and 40 shutouts.

Realistically, Dino shouldn't have gotten into the Hall before Bernie Nicholls did. More points, fewer games, higher peak...Nicholls is one of only five players to score 150 points, and one of 11 to score 8 points in one game, 12 including playoffs. Before you say "Yeah, but Gretzky..." Nicholls' 8-point game happened for LA in 1988...Gretzky did it twice in his career, for Edmonton in 1983 and 1984.

Good post.

If Howard can keep improving and solidifying his game, it'll definitely be time for Osgood to wave goodbye to a great career. If Howard struggles and Osgood proves he can still do it down the stretch, he'll be back. McCollum is a goalie; who the hell knows how he'll be in a few years? Nobody as of now.

I really don't want to see Osgood retire... kind of the same feelings as Stevie.

But at the same time, seeing #30 get raised and Ozzie get inducted into the HHOF would be pretty sweet.

And yes, #30 will be raised. Ozzie was gone for a few seasons and nobody else was allowed to wear it. Larry Aurie's #6 is 'recognized' and so is Vladimir Konstantinov's '16' as far as numbers which cannot be worn. But Osgood played almost his entire career as a Wing, backstopped the team to two Cups and three Finals, owns almost every Wings goaltending record, and when most hockey fans nowadays think of "Detroit goaltending" the first guy to pop up in their heads is Chris Osgood. Kind of like Grant Fuhr (EDM), Dominik Hasek (BUF), Patrick Roy (MTL, COL), Olaf Kolzig (WSH).

As far as the HHOF... Few goalies during Osgood's career have matched the kind of success and performance he has had. And I don't think anyone would argue against their induction.

I can agree with all of this, I just still think that there are enough Osgood haters to stop his inclusion in the Hall... though the odds of that are low. I just hope that. I think he should be in for sure, but I just hear people complain about him nationally and locally like his success will keep him out because of the teams. I thought it was going to be fixed when he signed a two year deal with the Wings and I assumed that he would be the starter for at least one of those years getting 30 wins and then prob 20 as 1b guy in Howard's second year. That would have been undenyable, but I just still have irrational fears that he won't be included.

The way things are between Ozzy and Babs, it doesn't look good for him, at least not in motown. I hope he makes a strong comeback and the Wings have a solid one-two punch in goal again, but I don't think it's likely to happen.