• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hockeytown0001

Osgood may retire following this season

Rate this topic

I for one would like to see Osgood stick around for 1 or 2 more seasons as backup, enough time for McCollum to groom in the AHL. At this point I'd probably keep Ozzie as the backup over anyone in the league.

It's good for him too, instead of staying home he can get a pay :).

And yes, #30 will be raised. Ozzie was gone for a few seasons and nobody else was allowed to wear it. Larry Aurie's #6 is 'recognized' and so is Vladimir Konstantinov's '16' as far as numbers which cannot be worn. But Osgood played almost his entire career as a Wing, backstopped the team to two Cups and three Finals, owns almost every Wings goaltending record, and when most hockey fans nowadays think of "Detroit goaltending" the first guy to pop up in their heads is Chris Osgood. Kind of like Grant Fuhr (EDM), Dominik Hasek (BUF), Patrick Roy (MTL, COL), Olaf Kolzig (WSH).

Thank You.

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

I said in some thread last season that I thought Larsson would be the backup this year and Osgood would have retired. Honestly he could have a crummy job on some other team in the league, but he will not have a job here again. Babcock hates Osgood, and vice versa.

I still am pissed that Ozzie had a real good shot at clinching a hall of fame spot by getting just a few more wins, when things got rough Babs didn't even give him a shot at backup. He is going to have less then 20 starts again this season and they will be so spaced out the rust on the Wizard will make sure he has a pretty mediocre season.

It is a damn shame, I love him and think he deserves better. I was also hoping that we would have sent him to Tampa, he could have been a great starter for them, but they have Ellis now so they have no need for him. I just can't see anyspot for him that really would get him the wins he needs for that for sure Hall spot.

I wouldn't jump to conclusions like that and state them as fact so quickly. Anyone who follows Osgood closely knows that there is a lot more to the story then a coach disliking him (which I doubt Babcock actually does).

Edited by EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

The way things are between Ozzy and Babs, it doesn't look good for him, at least not in motown. I hope he makes a strong comeback and the Wings have a solid one-two punch in goal again, but I don't think it's likely to happen.

IMO, that's likely to happen if he doesn't get sat 20+ games in a row.

And yes, #30 will be raised. Ozzie was gone for a few seasons and nobody else was allowed to wear it. Larry Aurie's #6 is 'recognized' and so is Vladimir Konstantinov's '16' as far as numbers which cannot be worn. But Osgood played almost his entire career as a Wing, backstopped the team to two Cups and three Finals, owns almost every Wings goaltending record, and when most hockey fans nowadays think of "Detroit goaltending" the first guy to pop up in their heads is Chris Osgood. Kind of like Grant Fuhr (EDM), Dominik Hasek (BUF), Patrick Roy (MTL, COL), Olaf Kolzig (WSH).

Seriously? You can't have every number up on a banner, unless you want players to start wearing 3 digits on their jerseys...

Seriously? You can't have every number up on a banner, unless you want players to start wearing 3 digits on their jerseys...

Yeah, i'm not sure Ozzy is a lock to have his number raised to the rafters. The Wings use a high standard compared to some other clubs in the league. Honestly though, after Lidstrom he's probably the next most likely guy. Z and Dats are certainly candidates, but it's too early to say yet.

When it comes to jersey retirement or the HOF, the knock against Ozzy is always the same. He's been very good for a long time, which is quite an accomplishment when you think of all the goalies who looked promising and disappeared in this league. He's been very good on a team that's been very good, but he's never been elite.

And as for Eva's Dino-Ozzy comparison, unfortunately he's using logic where there often isn't any. The Hall has always had varying standards, and it's not apples to apples. They hold a different standard for goalies than players.

Z and Dats are certainly candidates, but it's too early to say yet.

As much as I hate to say it, if I were a betting man who simply needed a meal to eat then I would guess that Pav and Z would not get their numbers retired based on the Wings standards of today.

We've seen a lot of former Wings go into the hall of fame and not have their number retired by the Wings. It's like a tier system or something. Tier 1 gets a banner at the top and tier 2 simply gets their number pulled from circulation out of respect or what have you (16, 91 so far, etc.).

Wings standard = HHOF level of talent + career Red Wing.

Time in jersey: Why Fedorov, Shanahan, Hasek, and Chelios aren't retired here.

Not HHOF Status: Why guys like Draper and Homer won't be retired. And why Konstintiov won't be.

Based on our current standard, Lidstrom is a lock, and Osgood has a shot as do Zetterberg and Datsyuk.

Guest CaliWingsNut

The way things are between Ozzy and Babs, it doesn't look good for him, at least not in motown. I hope he makes a strong comeback and the Wings have a solid one-two punch in goal again, but I don't think it's likely to happen.

What does his relationship with babcock have to do with him having a GAA over 3 for last season?

As much as I hate to say it, if I were a betting man who simply needed a meal to eat then I would guess that Pav and Z would not get their numbers retired based on the Wings standards of today.

We've seen a lot of former Wings go into the hall of fame and not have their number retired by the Wings. It's like a tier system or something. Tier 1 gets a banner at the top and tier 2 simply gets their number pulled from circulation out of respect or what have you (16, 91 so far, etc.).

I don't think any one besides Lidstrom will get their number retired any time soon or in the next 10-15 years. No other player currently as well in our system is that type of player.

Don't get me wrong Z and Dats are good but they are not on the same level legend wise as Yzerman or Lidstrom.

What does his relationship with babcock have to do with him having a GAA over 3 for last season?

Because Babcock refused to play him which prevented him from getting that playing time to improve his numbers. He didn't have a chance to prove himself because he'd only get a game here or there, even when he got a win, the next game went to Howard.

I don't think any one besides Lidstrom will get their number retired any time soon or in the next 10-15 years. No other player currently as well in our system is that type of player.

Don't get me wrong Z and Dats are good but they are not on the same level legend wise as Yzerman or Lidstrom.

Not yet.

Because Babcock refused to play him which prevented him from getting that playing time to improve his numbers. He didn't have a chance to prove himself because he'd only get a game here or there, even when he got a win, the next game went to Howard.

We weren't exactly in the position to give him plenty of time to round into form last season, though.

Not yet.

In my opinion never will be. Lidstrom is damn near the top or at the top of defencemen ever, depending on how you look at it. Yzerman is The Captain that says a lot about a guy who had his number retired with the C on it. That poster downtown when it said "Adopted: Detroit, MI 1983" it was true, he was the son of Detroit for years. Many would like to see him succeed in TB. Its kinda like watching a big brother or ,depending on your age, son achieve success. That is the kind of love Yzerman has from Detroit fans.

On topic

Ozzie does not have anything else to prove. If its time its time.

Edited by dragonballgtz

In my opinion never will be. Lidstrom is damn near the top or at the top of defencemen ever, depending on how you look at it. Yzerman is The Captain that says a lot about a guy who had his number retired with the C on it. That poster downtown when it said "Adopted: Detroit, MI 1983" it was true, he was the son of Detroit for years.

I think you greatly underestimate Z. He has a lot of career left. Yzerman was great, but he's not gonna singlehandedly shut the door on retiring numbers for decades to come. C'mon.

On topic

Agreed.

Edited by Broken 16

Guest CaliWingsNut

I distinctively remember Babs giving him a game to prove himself shortly before the playoffs, in which he lost and let in 4 goals. He played himself out of his first role, and jimmy played into it (regardless of Osgood bitching about a "rotation").

I distinctively remember Babs giving him a game to prove himself shortly before the playoffs, in which he lost and let in 4 goals. He played himself out of his first role, and jimmy played into it (regardless of Osgood bitching about a "rotation").

A game. He had a stretch of 20+ games where he did not see the ice. Last I checked, that's not "getting a start to prove himself" and more "let's shut up the Howard haters".

Wings standard = HHOF level of talent + career Red Wing.

Time in jersey: Why Fedorov, Shanahan, Hasek, and Chelios aren't retired here.

Not HHOF Status: Why guys like Draper and Homer won't be retired. And why Konstintiov won't be.

Based on our current standard, Lidstrom is a lock, and Osgood has a shot as do Zetterberg and Datsyuk.

That doesn't mean that #30 will still be worn after Osgood, however.

In my opinion never will be. Lidstrom is damn near the top or at the top of defencemen ever, depending on how you look at it. Yzerman is The Captain that says a lot about a guy who had his number retired with the C on it. That poster downtown when it said "Adopted: Detroit, MI 1983" it was true, he was the son of Detroit for years. Many would like to see him succeed in TB. Its kinda like watching a big brother or ,depending on your age, son achieve success. That is the kind of love Yzerman has from Detroit fans.

On topic

Both of them have 7+ years more to play. It's to early to say. Z already has a Conn Smyth and Dats has 2 consecutive Selkes. Time will tell...

That's how it works. You start out getting a game here and there and if you do well enough you get more. Ozzie never got past the game here and there. It's Ozzie's fault, nobody elses.

Shortly after Osgood got sick, he started in a game against Nashville, and won 3-2.

Who was in net THE NEXT THREE GAMES after that win? Do you honestly think Osgood was given much of a chance at that point?

Shortly after Osgood got sick, he started in a game against Nashville, and won 3-2.

Who was in net THE NEXT THREE GAMES after that win? Do you honestly think Osgood was given much of a chance at that point?

That was my point, he wasn't given a chance to prove himself when he did not get consecutive starts. I understand they wanted to go with the hot goalie because of the position we were in, but Babcock is very lucky that Howard didn't have an injury late in the season because we didn't have a reliable back up goalie to go to and that was not Osgood's fault. He could only do what he could at practice, it's not the same as playing in games.

Both of them have 7+ years more to play. It's to early to say. Z already has a Conn Smyth and Dats has 2 consecutive Selkes. Time will tell...

3 Selkes for Pavs.