• Please log in to reply
163 replies to this topic

#21 ben_usmc

ben_usmc

Kenny Powers Fan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,825 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 01:29 PM

I was one of those people who were extremely hard on Ozzy this season; and justly so. But for some reason anytime Ozzy is supposed to be a back up he plays amazing, so I'm all for letting him be the back up for the next year or two.
There's no I in team, but there's a U in c***, so don't be little jealous c***s

#22 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,826 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 01:42 PM

No. :( He needs more Cups. At least 1 or 2...and it makes it worse because if we had won it in 09 I think he would have gotten the Conn Smythe. He still hasn't gotten the recognition he deserves IMO, and he can't retire until he does.

He for sure would have been the Conn Smythe winner in 09 had the Wings won, and that would have been one of the better stories of the season for Ozzie - being named playoff MVP after such a sub-par regular season.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#23 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 04:05 PM

What's also forgotten in discussions about Osgood?

Only 8 goalies have played more playoff games, and only 7 have won more. Of the seven goalies who have won more, there are 25 Cup rings, 24 earned as starter of the last 30 Cups, and 5 Conn Smythe trophies of the 9 awarded to goalies in that time frame.

No other goaltender during that time frame has come even close to those kinds of numbers. If Osgood plays a couple more seasons and gets playoff time, he passes Vernon (77), Dryden (80), perhaps even Belfour (88), Smith (88), and Fuhr (92) in playoff wins.

The active top-10 list?

Osgood (74)
Nabokov (40)
Khabibulin (39)
Fleury (38)
Giguere (33)
Kiprusoff (25)
Ward (23)
Miller (22)
Lalime (21)
Turco (21)

Fleury, Ward, and Miller are the only ones with a realistic chance of matching Osgood by the same age.

Osgood has 74 wins at 37.
Fleury, 25, would have to average 3 wins per postseason.
Ward, 26, would have to average 4.5 wins per postseason.
Miller, 29, would have to average 6.5 wins per postseason.
Khabibulin, 37, would have to win 35 games this postseason...
Those three and Khabibulin are the only starters on the list, and Khabi is as old as Ozzie and playing for a non-playoff team. And it's likely that none of them will do it. Fleury has the best chance; he might do it or come close. The other two have to average a second round appearance over the remaining time.

"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."

#24 Glubki

Glubki

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 569 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 04:12 PM

What's also forgotten in discussions about Osgood?

Only 8 goalies have played more playoff games, and only 7 have won more. Of the seven goalies who have won more, there are 25 Cup rings, 24 earned as starter of the last 30 Cups, and 5 Conn Smythe trophies of the 9 awarded to goalies in that time frame.

No other goaltender during that time frame has come even close to those kinds of numbers. If Osgood plays a couple more seasons and gets playoff time, he passes Vernon (77), Dryden (80), perhaps even Belfour (88), Smith (88), and Fuhr (92) in playoff wins.

The active top-10 list?

Brodeur (99)
Osgood (74)
Nabokov (40)
Khabibulin (39)
Fleury (38)
Giguere (33)
Kiprusoff (25)
Ward (23)
Miller (22)
Lalime (21)
Turco (21)

Fleury, Ward, and Miller are the only ones with a realistic chance of matching Osgood by the same age.

Osgood has 74 wins at 37.
Fleury, 25, would have to average 3 wins per postseason.
Ward, 26, would have to average 4.5 wins per postseason.
Miller, 29, would have to average 6.5 wins per postseason.
Khabibulin, 37, would have to win 35 games this postseason...
Those three and Khabibulin are the only starters on the list, and Khabi is as old as Ozzie and playing for a non-playoff team. And it's likely that none of them will do it. Fleury has the best chance; he might do it or come close. The other two have to average a second round appearance over the remaining time.

If you have an online nemesis you are spending too much time online....

#25 Booster313

Booster313

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 04:22 PM

That is just that writers expectation, not fact. I haven't heard Osgood say anything about retiring. In fact he has given quite the opposite impression to me. There are certain goals he want's to accomplish and given the year he had last year, he wasn't able to make much headway. Now if this year is the same as last, well then he might look at retirement, I love Jimmy, but I for one see a bounce back year for Ozzie with closer to a 50/50 game distribution, if Osgood plays well.

What kind of color is red? Red is a warning, a declaration, a color that says I'm ready to do what it takes. Red is focused and driven because red doesn't like second place. So what kind of color is red? Their kind.

#26 mackel

mackel

Bring Back Vernie

• PipPip
  • 498 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 04:54 PM

Osgood is a Legend.

This is a joke right? Because I laughed out loud when I read it.

#27 Vladifan

Vladifan

Legend

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 5,759 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 05:23 PM

Osgood will be turning 38 this November and his contract is up after this season, so it is no surprise that people are already speculating that he will retire. I don't remember reading anywhere about Ozzie himself mentioning retirement, but he really doesn't have anything else to prove, other than perhaps wanting to win another cup before he retires. I hope he earns more playing time this season, he has a realistic shot at passing Grant Fuhr and Glenn Hall on the all-time wins list, and if he splits the starts pretty evenly with Howard, he may even catch Tony Esposito, pretty much guaranteeing himself a place in the HHOF.

Only thing I'd change in this statement is I hope he's given more playing time this season. Can't earn anything till he gets a chance to prove himself. Again.

"He even ate with women who at that time were accorded the same status as the family donkey. Are we willing to break bread with, say, child sex slaves, transgender teens and undocumented workers? Because when Jesus comes back to Earth, that's where he'll be hanging."
You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.

#28 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,854 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 06:06 PM

I hope he improves his 5 hole.

Also, he and Babcock need to work out their differences, because it wound up becoming detrimental to us in the long run.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#29 darkmanx

darkmanx

Toronto's Finest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,736 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 06:27 PM

Also, he and Babcock need to work out their differences, because it wound up becoming detrimental to us in the long run.

personally I think he needs to improve his glove, seems everyone knows thats his weak spot and they just shoot for it, needs to get his glove up there quicker.

#30 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 08:06 PM

As for the whole Osgood/Babcock and getting treated unfairly or whatever, it wouldn't surprise me, but nobody knows what's going on behind closed doors so life could be peachy neat between the two of them for all we know.

As for this past season, sure I would've like to have seen Osgood play more, but given the situation - Howard doing very little to justify getting benched on a consistent basis after Osgood went down with the flu or injury or whatever in December and the Wings having the unusual part of fighting tooth and nail for a playoff spot, Howard was going to be the guy unless he absolutely s**t the bed. Sure he did it here and there and for a game or two in the playoffs, but you can pretty much put any goalie on a list who does that from time to time, even the great ones like Hasek or Roy etc.

It wouldn't been great to see Osgood play a bit more, but the handling of goalies and what not was not the end of all end things that cost the Red Wings this season or the playoffs, it didn't really play much of a factor as some might want to believe.

I'd love to see Osgood play for a few more seasons.

Edited by SouthernWingsFan, 12 July 2010 - 08:06 PM.

#31 DyingAlive

DyingAlive

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 08:32 PM

I don't know how you can't call him one. Maybe Legend is a bit of an overstatement, considering only a few get the title. But still you can't argue with the way Ozzy has played and the types of numbers he has put up in his career. He DESERVES to be in the Hall of Fame without question.
Posted Image

#32 e_prime

e_prime

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,726 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 08:48 PM

I don't know why it was even referenced or why I couldn't quote it, but PUH-LEASE!!!, we all know that Eva was referencing legitimate comparisons to Osgood.
Martin "Fasto" Brodeur is in a completely different realm than Chris Osgood, and we all know it.
So please, it's not even worth the mention.

Legend might be pushing it, but "urban myth as truth"... how does that sound??

I think this will be *LONG* forgotten by this upcoming season's end... if Babcock's legacy hopes to be as long-lived as Osgood's will be.

I don't know how you can't call him one. Maybe Legend is a bit of an overstatement, considering only a few get the title. But still you can't argue with the way Ozzy has played and the types of numbers he has put up in his career. He DESERVES to be in the Hall of Fame without question.

A-*******-men.
(AtomicPunk @ February 4, 2010 - 12:16AM)

Imma let you finish, and your cap numbers are all good and all that, but imma let Kenny figure it out. Kenny's cap numbers were the best cap numbers this year.

#33 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,826 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 09:19 PM

If it is indeed Ozzie's last season, I bet nobody wears #30 in Detroit again for a long time, if ever.

"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#34 mackel

mackel

Bring Back Vernie

• PipPip
  • 498 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 09:23 PM

He will be a Hall of Famer, but I don't see him getting in 1st try unless its a weak class. I think the voters will keep in mind the fact his numbers were more a product of the teams he played on and not overwhelming stand out play on his part.

#35 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,826 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 09:47 PM

He will be a Hall of Famer, but I don't see him getting in 1st try unless its a weak class. I think the voters will keep in mind the fact his numbers were more a product of the teams he played on and not overwhelming stand out play on his part.

That same case could be made for a lot of players in the Hall.

#36 dragonballgtz

dragonballgtz

Yu-Gi-HOE

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,450 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 09:49 PM

I will agree in a way with that. I still think Ozzie did his part. Hell he might of had 3 SC for being a starter if it wasnt for him getting injured in 98-99 playoffs.

Bill Ranford :ranting: :flamingmad:

Edited by dragonballgtz, 12 July 2010 - 09:58 PM.

#37 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,826 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 08:49 AM

I will agree in a way with that. I still think Ozzie did his part. Hell he might of had 3 SC for being a starter if it wasnt for him getting injured in 98-99 playoffs.

Bill Ranford :ranting: :flamingmad:

Never understood what happened to him. He was lights out during the first 2 games but absolutely stunk the rest of the way. By the time Ozzie came back, the damage was already done. n

#38 Pucks

Pucks

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 11:27 AM

It's definitely the right time for him. Hopefully he and Draper will enjoy their last season on the Wings. Who know's it could be Lidstroms last as well. Good luck in whatever is next.

Welcome to the playoffs....where the games get better and the officiating gets worse.

#39 DyingAlive

DyingAlive

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 11:45 AM

I don't think many people actually make the HoF without having a good team around them. While I see the point you are making, I personally feel that he has done enough on his own to make it.
Posted Image

#40 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,826 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 04:59 PM

I don't think many people actually make the HoF without having a good team around them. While I see the point you are making, I personally feel that he has done enough on his own to make it.

Remember D-Mac's words:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BJCxdkoIxc