#42 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,625 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 04:13 AM

2nd only to Marty, eh? Not shabby.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#43 Majsheppard

Majsheppard

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 10:46 AM

I said in some thread last season that I thought Larsson would be the backup this year and Osgood would have retired. Honestly he could have a crummy job on some other team in the league, but he will not have a job here again. Babcock hates Osgood, and vice versa.

I still am pissed that Ozzie had a real good shot at clinching a hall of fame spot by getting just a few more wins, when things got rough Babs didn't even give him a shot at backup. He is going to have less then 20 starts again this season and they will be so spaced out the rust on the Wizard will make sure he has a pretty mediocre season.

It is a damn shame, I love him and think he deserves better. I was also hoping that we would have sent him to Tampa, he could have been a great starter for them, but they have Ellis now so they have no need for him. I just can't see anyspot for him that really would get him the wins he needs for that for sure Hall spot.
"It is a lot easier to be an ******* to words than to people"-xkcd

Tootoo does NOT belong on this team. He is classless and I would rather see the Wings be bad than classless. I feel the same way about Bertuzzi as well, but he at least CAN make the team better. With Tootoo the team becomes worse and in danger of being classless. Would you have liked Claude on the team? Or Roy? No. So why would you be okay with that POS.

This thread has been closed due to emotions being higher than people's ability to read, interpret, and properly respond to simple posts.

#44 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 11:55 AM

any spot for him that really would get him the wins he needs for that for sure Hall spot.

If Dino truly deserved to get into the Hall for playing 19 seasons, scoring 50 goals twice, 40 goals 4 more times, and only twice breaking 100 points in his entire career during the highest scoring period in NHL history...then Osgood reached Hall-worthy status at the end of 2003-04, when he cleared 300 wins and 40 shutouts.

Realistically, Dino shouldn't have gotten into the Hall before Bernie Nicholls did. More points, fewer games, higher peak...Nicholls is one of only five players to score 150 points, and one of 11 to score 8 points in one game, 12 including playoffs. Before you say "Yeah, but Gretzky..." Nicholls' 8-point game happened for LA in 1988...Gretzky did it twice in his career, for Edmonton in 1983 and 1984.

"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."

#45 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,625 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 12:06 PM

If Dino truly deserved to get into the Hall for playing 19 seasons, scoring 50 goals twice, 40 goals 4 more times, and only twice breaking 100 points in his entire career during the highest scoring period in NHL history...then Osgood reached Hall-worthy status at the end of 2003-04, when he cleared 300 wins and 40 shutouts.

Realistically, Dino shouldn't have gotten into the Hall before Bernie Nicholls did. More points, fewer games, higher peak...Nicholls is one of only five players to score 150 points, and one of 11 to score 8 points in one game, 12 including playoffs. Before you say "Yeah, but Gretzky..." Nicholls' 8-point game happened for LA in 1988...Gretzky did it twice in his career, for Edmonton in 1983 and 1984.

Good post.

"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#46 gcom007

gcom007

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,089 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 01:59 PM

If Howard can keep improving and solidifying his game, it'll definitely be time for Osgood to wave goodbye to a great career. If Howard struggles and Osgood proves he can still do it down the stretch, he'll be back. McCollum is a goalie; who the hell knows how he'll be in a few years? Nobody as of now.
-Elliot...does not panic.

#47 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 01:26 PM

I really don't want to see Osgood retire... kind of the same feelings as Stevie.

But at the same time, seeing #30 get raised and Ozzie get inducted into the HHOF would be pretty sweet.

And yes, #30 will be raised. Ozzie was gone for a few seasons and nobody else was allowed to wear it. Larry Aurie's #6 is 'recognized' and so is Vladimir Konstantinov's '16' as far as numbers which cannot be worn. But Osgood played almost his entire career as a Wing, backstopped the team to two Cups and three Finals, owns almost every Wings goaltending record, and when most hockey fans nowadays think of "Detroit goaltending" the first guy to pop up in their heads is Chris Osgood. Kind of like Grant Fuhr (EDM), Dominik Hasek (BUF), Patrick Roy (MTL, COL), Olaf Kolzig (WSH).

As far as the HHOF... Few goalies during Osgood's career have matched the kind of success and performance he has had. And I don't think anyone would argue against their induction.

"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."

#48 Majsheppard

Majsheppard

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 04:07 PM

I can agree with all of this, I just still think that there are enough Osgood haters to stop his inclusion in the Hall... though the odds of that are low. I just hope that. I think he should be in for sure, but I just hear people complain about him nationally and locally like his success will keep him out because of the teams. I thought it was going to be fixed when he signed a two year deal with the Wings and I assumed that he would be the starter for at least one of those years getting 30 wins and then prob 20 as 1b guy in Howard's second year. That would have been undenyable, but I just still have irrational fears that he won't be included.
"It is a lot easier to be an ******* to words than to people"-xkcd

Tootoo does NOT belong on this team. He is classless and I would rather see the Wings be bad than classless. I feel the same way about Bertuzzi as well, but he at least CAN make the team better. With Tootoo the team becomes worse and in danger of being classless. Would you have liked Claude on the team? Or Roy? No. So why would you be okay with that POS.

This thread has been closed due to emotions being higher than people's ability to read, interpret, and properly respond to simple posts.

#49 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 04:10 PM

Eva drilled it. If Dino gets in, Ozzie shall as well. Its a huuuuge f*** up on the league if they leave him out simply because of "haters"....
TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

#50 Jaymister

Jaymister

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,951 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 06:30 PM

The way things are between Ozzy and Babs, it doesn't look good for him, at least not in motown. I hope he makes a strong comeback and the Wings have a solid one-two punch in goal again, but I don't think it's likely to happen.
Cujo is a top 5 goalie in the league- Scott Lucidi

#51 KrazyGangsta

KrazyGangsta

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 2,465 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 07:09 PM

I for one would like to see Osgood stick around for 1 or 2 more seasons as backup, enough time for McCollum to groom in the AHL. At this point I'd probably keep Ozzie as the backup over anyone in the league.

It's good for him too, instead of staying home he can get a pay :).

#52 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,625 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 01:53 AM

And yes, #30 will be raised. Ozzie was gone for a few seasons and nobody else was allowed to wear it. Larry Aurie's #6 is 'recognized' and so is Vladimir Konstantinov's '16' as far as numbers which cannot be worn. But Osgood played almost his entire career as a Wing, backstopped the team to two Cups and three Finals, owns almost every Wings goaltending record, and when most hockey fans nowadays think of "Detroit goaltending" the first guy to pop up in their heads is Chris Osgood. Kind of like Grant Fuhr (EDM), Dominik Hasek (BUF), Patrick Roy (MTL, COL), Olaf Kolzig (WSH).

Thank You.

#53 EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,731 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 02:08 AM

I said in some thread last season that I thought Larsson would be the backup this year and Osgood would have retired. Honestly he could have a crummy job on some other team in the league, but he will not have a job here again. Babcock hates Osgood, and vice versa.

I still am pissed that Ozzie had a real good shot at clinching a hall of fame spot by getting just a few more wins, when things got rough Babs didn't even give him a shot at backup. He is going to have less then 20 starts again this season and they will be so spaced out the rust on the Wizard will make sure he has a pretty mediocre season.

It is a damn shame, I love him and think he deserves better. I was also hoping that we would have sent him to Tampa, he could have been a great starter for them, but they have Ellis now so they have no need for him. I just can't see anyspot for him that really would get him the wins he needs for that for sure Hall spot.

I wouldn't jump to conclusions like that and state them as fact so quickly. Anyone who follows Osgood closely knows that there is a lot more to the story then a coach disliking him (which I doubt Babcock actually does).

Edited by EZBAKETHAGANGSTA, 16 July 2010 - 02:17 AM.

Victory Honda Forever.

Like my posts? Contact Hossa4life for information regarding my fan club

#54 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,625 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 04:58 PM

Eva drilled it. If Dino gets in, Ozzie shall as well. Its a huuuuge f*** up on the league if they leave him out simply because of "haters"....

...who had better watch out for McCarty. He's coming for you. :)

#55 wally42

wally42

Prospect

• 49 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 05:01 PM

I think it's ozzy's time. It seems like he doesnt have a place with the wings anymore.

#56 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,625 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 07:13 AM

The way things are between Ozzy and Babs, it doesn't look good for him, at least not in motown. I hope he makes a strong comeback and the Wings have a solid one-two punch in goal again, but I don't think it's likely to happen.

IMO, that's likely to happen if he doesn't get sat 20+ games in a row.

#57 wally42

wally42

Prospect

• 49 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 12:35 PM

Seriously? You can't have every number up on a banner, unless you want players to start wearing 3 digits on their jerseys...

#58 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,931 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 01:12 PM

Seriously? You can't have every number up on a banner, unless you want players to start wearing 3 digits on their jerseys...

Yeah, i'm not sure Ozzy is a lock to have his number raised to the rafters. The Wings use a high standard compared to some other clubs in the league. Honestly though, after Lidstrom he's probably the next most likely guy. Z and Dats are certainly candidates, but it's too early to say yet.

When it comes to jersey retirement or the HOF, the knock against Ozzy is always the same. He's been very good for a long time, which is quite an accomplishment when you think of all the goalies who looked promising and disappeared in this league. He's been very good on a team that's been very good, but he's never been elite.

And as for Eva's Dino-Ozzy comparison, unfortunately he's using logic where there often isn't any. The Hall has always had varying standards, and it's not apples to apples. They hold a different standard for goalies than players.

#59 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 01:34 PM

Z and Dats are certainly candidates, but it's too early to say yet.

As much as I hate to say it, if I were a betting man who simply needed a meal to eat then I would guess that Pav and Z would not get their numbers retired based on the Wings standards of today.

We've seen a lot of former Wings go into the hall of fame and not have their number retired by the Wings. It's like a tier system or something. Tier 1 gets a banner at the top and tier 2 simply gets their number pulled from circulation out of respect or what have you (16, 91 so far, etc.).

#60 Booster313

Booster313

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 02:04 PM

Wings standard = HHOF level of talent + career Red Wing.

Time in jersey: Why Fedorov, Shanahan, Hasek, and Chelios aren't retired here.

Not HHOF Status: Why guys like Draper and Homer won't be retired. And why Konstintiov won't be.

Based on our current standard, Lidstrom is a lock, and Osgood has a shot as do Zetterberg and Datsyuk.

What kind of color is red? Red is a warning, a declaration, a color that says I'm ready to do what it takes. Red is focused and driven because red doesn't like second place. So what kind of color is red? Their kind.