• Please log in to reply
163 replies to this topic

#61 CaliWingsNut

CaliWingsNut

PeeWee Bettman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 02:13 PM

The way things are between Ozzy and Babs, it doesn't look good for him, at least not in motown. I hope he makes a strong comeback and the Wings have a solid one-two punch in goal again, but I don't think it's likely to happen.

What does his relationship with babcock have to do with him having a GAA over 3 for last season?

Figures don't lie, but liars sure figure. - Mark Twain

#62 dragonballgtz

dragonballgtz

Yu-Gi-HOE

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,389 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 05:06 PM

As much as I hate to say it, if I were a betting man who simply needed a meal to eat then I would guess that Pav and Z would not get their numbers retired based on the Wings standards of today.

We've seen a lot of former Wings go into the hall of fame and not have their number retired by the Wings. It's like a tier system or something. Tier 1 gets a banner at the top and tier 2 simply gets their number pulled from circulation out of respect or what have you (16, 91 so far, etc.).

I don't think any one besides Lidstrom will get their number retired any time soon or in the next 10-15 years. No other player currently as well in our system is that type of player.

Don't get me wrong Z and Dats are good but they are not on the same level legend wise as Yzerman or Lidstrom.

#63 WizardOfOz30

WizardOfOz30

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,726 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 05:12 PM

What does his relationship with babcock have to do with him having a GAA over 3 for last season?

Because Babcock refused to play him which prevented him from getting that playing time to improve his numbers. He didn't have a chance to prove himself because he'd only get a game here or there, even when he got a win, the next game went to Howard.

Posted Image

Thanks Offsides

"If I could sum up my career in Detroit, I was a perfect goalie for the team at the perfect time. I just wanted to be a Red Wing, that's it." Chris Osgood, July 19, 2011

#64 Broken 16

Broken 16

Bonecrushing Blueliner

• Gold Booster
  • 2,959 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 05:16 PM

I don't think any one besides Lidstrom will get their number retired any time soon or in the next 10-15 years. No other player currently as well in our system is that type of player.

Don't get me wrong Z and Dats are good but they are not on the same level legend wise as Yzerman or Lidstrom.

Not yet.

#65 thedisappearer

thedisappearer

Hall-of-Famer

• Silver Booster
  • 2,194 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 05:29 PM

Because Babcock refused to play him which prevented him from getting that playing time to improve his numbers. He didn't have a chance to prove himself because he'd only get a game here or there, even when he got a win, the next game went to Howard.

We weren't exactly in the position to give him plenty of time to round into form last season, though.
*this space for rent*

#66 dragonballgtz

dragonballgtz

Yu-Gi-HOE

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,389 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 05:31 PM

Not yet.

In my opinion never will be. Lidstrom is damn near the top or at the top of defencemen ever, depending on how you look at it. Yzerman is The Captain that says a lot about a guy who had his number retired with the C on it. That poster downtown when it said "Adopted: Detroit, MI 1983" it was true, he was the son of Detroit for years. Many would like to see him succeed in TB. Its kinda like watching a big brother or ,depending on your age, son achieve success. That is the kind of love Yzerman has from Detroit fans.

On topic
Ozzie does not have anything else to prove. If its time its time.

Edited by dragonballgtz, 18 July 2010 - 05:36 PM.

#67 Broken 16

Broken 16

Bonecrushing Blueliner

• Gold Booster
  • 2,959 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 05:35 PM

In my opinion never will be. Lidstrom is damn near the top or at the top of defencemen ever, depending on how you look at it. Yzerman is The Captain that says a lot about a guy who had his number retired with the C on it. That poster downtown when it said "Adopted: Detroit, MI 1983" it was true, he was the son of Detroit for years.

I think you greatly underestimate Z. He has a lot of career left. Yzerman was great, but he's not gonna singlehandedly shut the door on retiring numbers for decades to come. C'mon.

On topic

Agreed.

Edited by Broken 16, 18 July 2010 - 05:37 PM.

#68 CaliWingsNut

CaliWingsNut

PeeWee Bettman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 05:37 PM

I distinctively remember Babs giving him a game to prove himself shortly before the playoffs, in which he lost and let in 4 goals. He played himself out of his first role, and jimmy played into it (regardless of Osgood bitching about a "rotation").

Figures don't lie, but liars sure figure. - Mark Twain

#69 Casey

Casey

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,758 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 06:20 PM

I distinctively remember Babs giving him a game to prove himself shortly before the playoffs, in which he lost and let in 4 goals. He played himself out of his first role, and jimmy played into it (regardless of Osgood bitching about a "rotation").

A game. He had a stretch of 20+ games where he did not see the ice. Last I checked, that's not "getting a start to prove himself" and more "let's shut up the Howard haters".
Posted Image
Ceterum autem censeo, Hudler esse delendam.

#70 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,364 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 07:19 PM

Wings standard = HHOF level of talent + career Red Wing.

Time in jersey: Why Fedorov, Shanahan, Hasek, and Chelios aren't retired here.

Not HHOF Status: Why guys like Draper and Homer won't be retired. And why Konstintiov won't be.

Based on our current standard, Lidstrom is a lock, and Osgood has a shot as do Zetterberg and Datsyuk.

That doesn't mean that #30 will still be worn after Osgood, however.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#71 chrisdetroit

chrisdetroit

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,407 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 07:38 PM

In my opinion never will be. Lidstrom is damn near the top or at the top of defencemen ever, depending on how you look at it. Yzerman is The Captain that says a lot about a guy who had his number retired with the C on it. That poster downtown when it said "Adopted: Detroit, MI 1983" it was true, he was the son of Detroit for years. Many would like to see him succeed in TB. Its kinda like watching a big brother or ,depending on your age, son achieve success. That is the kind of love Yzerman has from Detroit fans.

On topic

Both of them have 7+ years more to play. It's to early to say. Z already has a Conn Smyth and Dats has 2 consecutive Selkes. Time will tell...

That's how it works. You start out getting a game here and there and if you do well enough you get more. Ozzie never got past the game here and there. It's Ozzie's fault, nobody elses.
Do or do not. There is no try

#72 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,332 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 07:57 PM

Shortly after Osgood got sick, he started in a game against Nashville, and won 3-2.

Who was in net THE NEXT THREE GAMES after that win? Do you honestly think Osgood was given much of a chance at that point?

Posted Image

#73 WizardOfOz30

WizardOfOz30

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,726 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 07:32 AM

Shortly after Osgood got sick, he started in a game against Nashville, and won 3-2.

Who was in net THE NEXT THREE GAMES after that win? Do you honestly think Osgood was given much of a chance at that point?

That was my point, he wasn't given a chance to prove himself when he did not get consecutive starts. I understand they wanted to go with the hot goalie because of the position we were in, but Babcock is very lucky that Howard didn't have an injury late in the season because we didn't have a reliable back up goalie to go to and that was not Osgood's fault. He could only do what he could at practice, it's not the same as playing in games.

Posted Image

Thanks Offsides

"If I could sum up my career in Detroit, I was a perfect goalie for the team at the perfect time. I just wanted to be a Red Wing, that's it." Chris Osgood, July 19, 2011

#74 Casey

Casey

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,758 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 10:12 AM

Both of them have 7+ years more to play. It's to early to say. Z already has a Conn Smyth and Dats has 2 consecutive Selkes. Time will tell...

3 Selkes for Pavs.
Posted Image
Ceterum autem censeo, Hudler esse delendam.

#75 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,364 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 07:44 AM

3 Selkes for Pavs.

With a 4th coming soon.

"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#76 Hiei

Hiei

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 06:09 PM

The #30 will not grace the back of a Red Wing Jersey again. Book it.

Get oz to 400 at least. If he takes over again should Howard falter, then i say roll with it Wiz! DETROIT STYLE!

"Hit em with your purse, ya *****!" - Random Wings fans shouting at Franziska

#77 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,364 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 07:52 PM

The #30 will not grace the back of a Red Wing Jersey again. Book it.

Get oz to 400 at least. If he takes over again should Howard falter, then i say roll with it Wiz! DETROIT STYLE!

I like it.

#78 Broken 16

Broken 16

Bonecrushing Blueliner

• Gold Booster
  • 2,959 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 08:00 PM

Osgood made his bed last season. What happens next season is up to him... again. I almost didn't respond because I really didn't feel like being assaulted with a ton of stats and scenarios that supposedly show different. Anyone that is honest with themselves will admit that Osgood played poorly when he was in. Despite what stats say, he was constantly out of position, fought the puck on most nights and routinely made poor decisions. He looked lost most nights and I don't buy the rust theory. He wasn't squashed by Babcock. He squashed himself.

<sits back and waits for the Osgood faithful to pile on the negs> heh

Edited by Broken 16, 20 July 2010 - 08:06 PM.

#79 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 10:14 PM

Osgood made his bed last season. What happens next season is up to him... again. I almost didn't respond because I really didn't feel like being assaulted with a ton of stats and scenarios that supposedly show different. Anyone that is honest with themselves will admit that Osgood played poorly when he was in. Despite what stats say, he was constantly out of position, fought the puck on most nights and routinely made poor decisions. He looked lost most nights and I don't buy the rust theory. He wasn't squashed by Babcock. He squashed himself.

<sits back and waits for the Osgood faithful to pile on the negs> heh

Osgood was the Wings' best player until he went out with the flu in like November. After that, he played like 5 games. Howard was playing great, but one major reason the Wings lost in the playoffs is because Howie was so tired. If Babs had played Ozzie more, Howie wouldn't have been as tired, so if he DID falter, Babs would have been more comfortable going to Ozzie, who would have been in game shape. Babs is a good coach, but he mismanaged his goalies last year.
"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."

#80 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,364 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 10:16 PM

Osgood was the Wings' best player until he went out with the flu in like November. After that, he played like 5 games. Howard was playing great, but one major reason the Wings lost in the playoffs is because Howie was so tired. If Babs had played Ozzie more, Howie wouldn't have been as tired, so if he DID falter, Babs would have been more comfortable going to Ozzie, who would have been in game shape. Babs is a good coach, but he mismanaged his goalies last year.

Starting Howard 20+ games in a row was for sure a mistake.