• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
miller76

Bettman makes how much?

Rate this topic

not surprised at all. i wish they could vote to get rid of this clown.

Shanny for comish please!!!!

didnt they GM's/Owners all just vote not to long ago ? and majority wanted him to stay, I agree Buttman is just business Chirelli would be a perfect Commish !

guy is a genious, seriously i think he is guy has a degree from Harvard graduated with honors a degree from university of Ottawa in Law. We need a guy that knows Hockey and the Business side of things.

Among the "heads" of the four major North American sports, he is paid the least, yes?

According to a report in Sports Business Journal, Bettman was paid $7.2 million US, up 1.7 per cent from the previous year. However his pay package still lags behind other major North American sports commissioners — Major League Baseball’s Bud Selig earns $18.35 million while the National Football League’s Roger Goodell gets $10.9 million.

I cannot find the NBA guy. Oh well its to early for me any way.

EDIT: Would help if I read the article :P

Edited by dragonballgtz

downright disgusting - I don't care if he's "doing what the owners want", he's not even a hockey guy and is a disgrace to the game...

Just because the league is doing "ok" - doesn't mean it couldn't be doing great...

As I've said all along, Ken Dryden should be the commissioner.

Here's how it works with Bettman.

Having Bettman as commish of the NHL for the fans / history / hockey = Worst Candidate.

BUT

Having Bettman as commish of the NHL for the owners / business wise = Perfect Candidate.

Here's how it works with Bettman.

Having Bettman as commish of the NHL for the fans / history / hockey = Worst Candidate.

BUT

Having Bettman as commish of the NHL for the owners / business wise = Perfect Candidate.

once again - just because the owners are making money and the league is doing ok, does not mean it couldn't be doing WORLD'S better - Bettman is NOT by any means (even for the owners) the best candidate and their idiotic for allowing him to remain in position for this long...

Bettman isn't as bad as most of you make him out to be.

His job is to insure the financial stability of the league, and he's doing a good job of that.

http://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/2010/7/12/1565848/commissioner-bettman-overpaid-an

Here's an article comparing the pay of the other commissioners, it appears Bettman is right with the other 3.

His job is to insure the financial stability of the league, and he's doing a good job of that.

http://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/2010/7/12/1565848/commissioner-bettman-overpaid-an

Here's an article comparing the pay of the other commissioners, it appears Bettman is right with the other 3.

once again - just because the owners are making money and the league is doing ok, does not mean it couldn't be doing WORLD'S better - Bettman is NOT by any means (even for the owners) the best candidate and their idiotic for allowing him to remain in position for this long...

Bettman is setting the league up for a big fall. Things appear to be going alright for now because he lucked out and got three years of fantastic Stanley Cup finals. Where was his "success" when we were forced to watch Tampa Bay, Carolina and Anaheim lift the Cup?

The NHL has been getting more prominent in the US, but I have a feeling he's sowing the collapse of the league by refusing to allow failing markets to move.

But I agree, from the Board of Governor's side, or whatever they're called, business is good, so why not keep him?

But he's a lying ******.

Making money is the number one priority in today's age.

You do actually want the NHL to be the best hockey league in the world right?

Here's some good facts about Bettman that I found on the blog I linked earlier.

When Bettman was hired back in 1993, NHL league revenues were $400mm/year. They’re now close to $3bn, and the league has made money and grown revenue every year under his tenure. Not that it matters but this is why he was hired.

When Bettman took over, the NHL was pulling in less than 40% of what the NBA was pulling in. Today that number is around 75%.

The NBA? David Stern managed to LOSE $400mm last season. Wait until their CBA comes up for negotiation.

Remember, it was Bettman who instituted the Canadian Assistance Plan (meaning why we have six teams in Canada and not 3).

The whole Versus deal for American audiences? ESPN gave a lowball bid with the BOG declined near unanimously. Versus came in with an offer for more money which was accepted. Stupid and dumb, right?

Except that Versus ratings for NHL hockey are now better than they were at any time when ESPN had the rights.

Read that last statement again. Now spread the gospel.

Think about the problems that Gary Bettman has to deal with and compare those to Roger Goodell (uncapped year, potential lockout, all the players in trouble with the law), Bud Selig (where to even start), David Stern (losing money, a “soft” cap, Lebron James, “PR and image issues”, etc.).

However, while Bettman is a smart cookie, he is beyond horrible on tv (and we won’t even get into the whole “seriously dude- what is with the ******* mom jeans at the Olympics?”. His mannerisms, speaking style, posture…you’d think the league would spend $100K and have him work with someone to make him easier to take (on the radio he’s marginally better).

Edited by Carman

Making money is the number one priority in today's age.

You do actually want the NHL to be the best hockey league in the world right?

Here's some good facts about Bettman that I found on the blog I linked earlier.

This is irrelevant - that's comparing a league in a time when sports in general were down, to current times without taking into consideration inflation, TV rights, the leagues OWN network, etc...

This is using skewed examples to make a point... for the final time - just because the owners are making money and the league is doing OK(not great, JUST OK) does not mean it couldn't be doing WORLD'S better

Edited by stevkrause

This is irrelevant - that's comparing a league in a time when sports in general were down, to current times without taking into consideration inflation, TV rights, the leagues OWN network, etc...

This is using skewed examples to make a point... for the final time - just because the owners are making money and the league is doing OK(not great, JUST OK) does not mean it couldn't be doing WORLD'S better

Fair enough, but still I think you are putting too much stock into what Bettman's job actually is. He's merely a puppet, you have to go after the BOG to actually change the rules of the game which I'm pretty sure is your issue with the current league correct? What are your actual concerns with the league currently?

"Roger Goodell (uncapped year, potential lockout,all the players in trouble with the law)"

I think this argument doesn't fly. Goodell didn't take over the league until 2006, he hasn't had enough time to deal with all the issues. He has been hard on many of the players with serious league problems. Not to mention he is dealing with the largest sport in America, that makes more the twice that of the NHL. I think Goodell is by far the better commissioner of the two.

I would also love to see how much the NFL made in comparison of the NHL in 1993. I think if you look and the spread, I would bet that it was closer back then compared to now. Back then NHL was the forth largest sport and now it's 5th.

Fair enough, but still I think you are putting too much stock into what Bettman's job actually is. He's merely a puppet, you have to go after the BOG to actually change the rules of the game which I'm pretty sure is your issue with the current league correct? What are your actual concerns with the league currently?

I agree he's a puppet and that the BOG still makes the final calls, but that is all the more reason that they need a strong leader who will actually stand up to them and tell them what is best for the league (and for themselves and revenues) once in awhile - A good commissioner isn't a doormat and will stand up to owners and do what's best for the owner's in the long term (not just the short - ie. the NFL's Roger Goodell)

My biggest problems with the league currently are:

- the horrible marketing and cross promotion of the league

- poor product placement by forcing teams into failing markets after they've proven they can't survive there

- lack of exposure in more traditional TV markets (VS can still be it's flagship station and I actually think they do a pretty good job, minus Renaugh and McGuire), but they should have had a secondary TV deal with ESPN, to at least have a couple games a month on there and that would have opened the door to ABC, instead of the atrocity that is NBC

- absolute joke of disciplinary rulings (I know this is Campbell - but this is where the commissioner needs to step up, have the stones and make a difficult personnel change)

What it really comes down to, is the NHL needs a firm leader and a REAL hockey guy who knows the game and will stand up for things when it matters, not a spineless, sniveling little doormat...

"Roger Goodell (uncapped year, potential lockout,all the players in trouble with the law)"

I think this argument doesn't fly. Goodell didn't take over the league until 2006, he hasn't had enough time to deal with all the issues. He has been hard on many of the players with serious league problems. Not to mention he is dealing with the largest sport in America, that makes more the twice that of the NHL. I think Goodell is by far the better commissioner of the two.

I would also love to see how much the NFL made in comparison of the NHL in 1993. I think if you look and the spread, I would bet that it was closer back then compared to now. Back then NHL was the forth largest sport and now it's 5th.

I actually don't think any of these arguments fly - he's actually handled all of these issues BRILLIANTLY and is holding guys accountable... the off the field actions are more a result of the player's upbringings and where they come from, than the league they play in... as for the CBA issue they have now - I can guarantee it will get worked out... Goodell knows what he's doing and is the perfect example of what a commissioner should be in a professional sports league

My biggest problems with the league currently are:

- the horrible marketing and cross promotion of the league

- poor product placement by forcing teams into failing markets after they've proven they can't survive there

- lack of exposure in more traditional TV markets (VS can still be it's flagship station and I actually think they do a pretty good job, minus Renaugh and McGuire), but they should have had a secondary TV deal with ESPN, to at least have a couple games a month on there and that would have opened the door to ABC, instead of the atrocity that is NBC

- absolute joke of disciplinary rulings (I know this is Campbell - but this is where the commissioner needs to step up, have the stones and make a difficult personnel change)

What it really comes down to, is the NHL needs a firm leader and a REAL hockey guy who knows the game and will stand up for things when it matters, not a spineless, sniveling little doormat...

Marketing and cross promotion of the league could be improved, although I do think that's a little petty. The TV ratings have been improving.

Now this one I really have a problem with, the league needs hockey to grow in those areas. Proven they can't survive? How is that at all "proven".

Phoenix will be success, they just need an owner that actually knows how to lead a franchise. It's hard to grow a franchise when you don't win. Don't punish the area for the short comings of the past ownership.

And ESPN just doesn't make sense yet, it was too expensive at the time. I see this changing soon though.

And the disciplinary rules definitely need refining, I'll agree that Bettman could put in some more suggestions then he currently is.

The person I think you are describing would be a disaster unless he has the ability to manage a multi billion dollar league, that is the single most important thing in professional sports.

Edited by Carman