• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
stevkrause

Riley Sheahan puck-tricks

Rate this topic

This article mentioned it, so of course, I went and found it -

He demonstrated his puck-handling skills in a YouTube video three years ago, where he is standing in his driveway doing tricks with the puck on his stick.

"I wish I could take it off, but I don't know how to take it off,'' Sheahan said. "All the kids thought it was pretty impressive. If you look at it now, it looks pretty embarrassing. I was just having a little fun with the puck.''

I find it kind of funny that it embarrasses him - it's pretty impressive, at bare minimum the control with one hand... especially considering he was only a kid when the video was taken... anyway, here it is:

Edited by stevkrause

Too bad you can do NONE of it in a hockey game. Whenever I get out to a public place for a bit of practice, I always see kids trying this kinda stuff. I am sure it helps with hand-eye cordination, but I always think why don't you work on something that will help you in a game. I always love playing pick up games too where a kid decides to pick up the puck and carry it on the stick in the air.

I always just slash their stick or if close enough hit them while they keep their eyes on the puck at the end of their stick. Get alot of breakaways like that. Moral of the story, learn to pass the puck boys and girls. Much more useful skill. :)

I think that is why he is embarraced about it. Neat trick, but feels like it is showing off and not even in a way that is meaningful.

Too bad you can do NONE of it in a hockey game. Whenever I get out to a public place for a bit of practice, I always see kids trying this kinda stuff. I am sure it helps with hand-eye cordination, but I always think why don't you work on something that will help you in a game. I always love playing pick up games too where a kid decides to pick up the puck and carry it on the stick in the air.

I always just slash their stick or if close enough hit them while they keep their eyes on the puck at the end of their stick. Get alot of breakaways like that. Moral of the story, learn to pass the puck boys and girls. Much more useful skill. :)

I think that is why he is embarraced about it. Neat trick, but feels like it is showing off and not even in a way that is meaningful.

:P

Although it doesn't apply to real game action, it definitely serves its purpose - it not only develops forearm strength(strength on the puck), but (as you already touched on) hand-eye coordination as well... furthermore, it develops soft hands, which is crucial to not only stick handling, but passing and receiving passes as well...

Although I agree why he may feel embarrassed, because he feels like he's showing off(so far from interviews, he seems relatively humble), I disagree that it's not meaningful, because it shows intangibles that are VERY hard to teach - soft hands.

Although it doesn't apply to real game action, it definitely serves its purpose - it not only develops forearm strength(strength on the puck), but (as you already touched on) hand-eye coordination as well... furthermore, it develops soft hands, which is crucial to not only stick handling, but passing and receiving passes as well...

Oh I agree, but you know what also does all those things. Playing hockey. :D

I still think you improve your hands best by practicing stick handling and passing. The only reason they can do those tricks is because they practice hockey the right way alot.

Don't get me wrong I will practice that stuff too, like Sheahan there in a drive way, or living room, or backyard. My gripe is when you get out on icetime where you can actually do things that you can't outside, play hockey not lacrosse.

I think you are right he is humble. I also think he knows that if you get complimented for a thread the needle pass it feels really good, or a deke that puts someone on their butt. When someone says whoa that was cool that you could do that trick, you just kinda go oh thanks... *shrugs*

I am the type that just, (and rarely) does somethign right then skates back and just says thanks if anyone says anything but feels embarraced. Rarely when I know it was something really good I would actually smile and enjoy the ribbing that comes with it. That is the kinda guy Riley strikes me as, I like it. Modest is a good way to go. This is why I think the youtube thing bugs him. I bet if he had a Datsyuk like deke in the NHL go up on Youtube, he wouldn't feel embarraced about it!

and Illegal... lol. The one and only time that will ever work. It was a great goal for sure. Just not a fan how that turned the game into lets see what kinda tricks I can do on a breakaway instead of putting the puck in the net.

Not illegal, and that wasn't the first or last time a goal was scored like that. ESPN article

Not illegal, and that wasn't the first or last time a goal was scored like that. ESPN article

exactly - a high stick is only when the puck is redirected, if the puck never leaves the players possession, it is simply considered controlling the puck...

This is what has me excited most about Sheahan putting on the Winged Wheel one day. From the freep...

You noticed Sheahan's size out there," Nill said of Riley Sheahan (6-feet-2, 200 pounds), drafted 21st overall last month. "Guys take runs and bounce off him."

More of this please!

that quote got me pretty pumped too, the best part is, that he hasn't stopped growing - he could conceivably be 6'3 or ever 6'4 by the time he gets here and will surely add more mass as well... could develop into quite the power forward...

and Illegal... lol. The one and only time that will ever work. It was a great goal for sure. Just not a fan how that turned the game into lets see what kinda tricks I can do on a breakaway instead of putting the puck in the net.

and how is that illegal? stick is below the crossbar. it's perfectly fine.