• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

CenterIce

Dan Cleary working way back from surgery

Rate this topic

I expect a pretty decent rebound year from cleary this year. He had a string of bad luck with injuries last season, and you could tell it really affected his play. I think he will be back to his old self and hopefully see some good ice time this season to show last year was just an off year for him.

I think him and Hudler on the third line to start the season, with either Abby, Helm or Modo will give him a good chance at returning to form and also allow him to jump to the first line to spell Homer with Z and D once and a while will be great.

I really don't want to see him on special teams to start the year. Don't get me wrong he is a very very good PKer, but I would like to see him get some time to make sure he is healed, and his knee can build up to the strength it needs.

I don't think that he will see that much PK time. Z and D didn't see much in the regular season last year, as Eaves-Helm and Maltby-Miller (and Filppula at times) were great. I'm hoping that Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Franzén and Cleary don't get too much regular season PK time. It's nice to see them fresher, and not having to block shots.

Eaves-Helm will definitely play again this year. Miller may be traded, Maltby possibly won't be here, but that still leaves Filppula. Furthermore, hasn't Babcock said that Abdelkader will be getting PK time? (I'm assuming that Draper won't be getting any, and I don't know about Ritola).

Edited by NGKEIB

I don't think that he will see that much PK time. Z and D didn't see much in the regular season last year, as Eaves-Helm and Maltby-Miller (and Filppula at times) were great. I'm hoping that Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Franzén and Cleary don't get too much regular season PK time. It's nice to see them fresher, and not having to block shots.

Eaves-Helm will definitely play again this year. Miller may be traded, Maltby possibly won't be here, but that still leaves Filppula. Furthermore, hasn't Babcock said that Abdelkader will be getting PK time? (I'm assuming that Draper won't be getting any, and I don't know about Ritola).

Yeah I remember reading that in an article from Mlive. He said Abby will be on the PK from the get go next year (which to me makes Miller even less needed)

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

I think him and Hudler on the third line to start the season, with either Abby, Helm or Modo will give him a good chance at returning to form and also allow him to jump to the first line to spell Homer with Z and D once and a while will be great.

I really don't want to see him on special teams to start the year. Don't get me wrong he is a very very good PKer, but I would like to see him get some time to make sure he is healed, and his knee can build up to the strength it needs.

Agreed. I think if Modano does sign here, a 3rd line with Hudler's raw talent, Modano's savvy poise, and Cleary's grit,determination and physicality would be an absolute nightmare for other teams to match against.

Guest screwdahawks

LOL all I hear is how he is working hard rehabbing his knee and everyone keeps attributing his low point production to being injured. HELLO he has not played a full 82 games since the Wings signed him. His best point year was 42 points in 63 games in '08 season, last year was 34 points in 64 games. The guy cannot stay healthy and is not worth 3Million dollars..........

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

LOL all I hear is how he is working hard rehabbing his knee and everyone keeps attributing his low point production to being injured. HELLO he has not played a full 82 games since the Wings signed him. His best point year was 42 points in 63 games in '08 season, last year was 34 points in 64 games. The guy cannot stay healthy and is not worth 3Million dollars..........

I don't necessarily disagree that he is being overpaid, but that really has more to do with the Wing's depth then his talent level imo. When he signed the deal, he wasn't expected to play predominantly on the third line as he did last season. In addition to that, once you factor in his injuries, which have hindered him in many of the games hes played in, it is easy to see why his production has been down.

Not saying he's a bargain or anything, just stating my opinion that his lack of production for his salary has come far more from situational instances out of his control, rather then him not playing hard enough/playing poorly. Hopefully he can bounce back.

Edited by EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

Guest Crymson

A) He's versatile; his point production isn't even close to everything he brings to the table.

B) His injury in '07 was the result of a questionable hit, and his injury in '08 came from being hit in the face with a puck (gee, he should have been able to avoid that one---right, champ?)

I don't think you know much about the NHL, the Wings or Cleary's history with the team.

Guest screwdahawks

A) He's versatile; his point production isn't even close to everything he brings to the table.

B) His injury in '07 was the result of a questionable hit, and his injury in '08 came from being hit in the face with a puck (gee, he should have been able to avoid that one---right, champ?)

I don't think you know much about the NHL, the Wings or Cleary's history with the team.

Obviously YOU know more, or at least THINK you know more. His HISTORY is, he is prone to injury as I said, if you can prove me wrong then, by all means, do so...... My opinion is that he is not worth 3 million per year. You have your opinion and I have mine and we are both entitled to them. Doesn't make you or me more knowledgeable than the other...... So I lift my middle finger to you and your audacity.

HAHA to the guy above... IMO he is not a 3 mill a year player either but Raffi is not a 6 mill a year player. What are you getting at?

Clears hasn't played a full 82 games very often and not too many do which is why hockey is by far the toughest sport on the planet to play, condition for, and stay healthy the longest for as well. He is getting up there in age definitely but he brings more intangibles to the ice and the locker room than just about any other player does in the league. His performance in the 08-09 playoffs was just ridiculous and could have been in the top 3 of our Conn Smythe candidates if we had won. I really don't think people appreciate what Clears brings night in and night out enough really. He is quite possibly the most overlooked warrior we have on this roster and will be proven next year without a doubt. As I have stated you can bookmark, do what you will with it. So ready to eat the crow if I have to. Not too worried especially with addition of Huds and an up and coming Abdelkader to that line. Should be a very interesting thing to watch. Clears has a ton to prove STILL somehow and if it doesn't happen then I can understand the bashing and or trade talks. Til then we shall see....

Edited by HankthaTank

Forget the roster,Cleary is one of the must underrated players in the league.the guy plays his brains out every single game and once he's injured,its time to trade him.Give me a break.This guy's a warrior.Give him a chance to get back to 100% before you bash his game.

Forget the roster,Cleary is one of the must underrated players in the league.the guy plays his brains out every single game and once he's injured,its time to trade him.Give me a break.This guy's a warrior.Give him a chance to get back to 100% before you bash his game.

Couldn't have said this part better myself. He's a guy who can do everything.

Yeah screwdahawks is right :rolleyes: . The hardest worker on the team, who played through 2 torm meniscus for this team because of our injury situation that he would normally be out 2 months for most likely( didn't see anyone else injured doing that for the team), has been clutch every playoffs, played through a completely torn groin and broken hand in the stanley cup finals, has proven he can put up 40 points, and is the most versatile forward on the team and one of the most versatile in the league and can play on every single line should be gone.

Guest Crymson

Obviously YOU know more, or at least THINK you know more. His HISTORY is, he is prone to injury as I said, if you can prove me wrong then, by all means, do so...... My opinion is that he is not worth 3 million per year. You have your opinion and I have mine and we are both entitled to them. Doesn't make you or me more knowledgeable than the other...... So I lift my middle finger to you and your audacity.

Oh, I do know more. You're calling him injury prone; the facts call you wrong:

• It's extremely rare for a hockey player to play 82 games in a season. We had only three do so last season, we had a whopping one player apiece do so in each of the two seasons before that. That you claimed otherwise contributed to the "you don't know much about hockey" comment.
  • He has missed 59 games over five seasons; this puts him at an average of 70 games per season, which is, at worst, average amongst players in the NHL.
  • Two of the games he missed in '05-'06 were due to flu; proneness to injury had nothing to do with this.
  • All 19 of the games he missed in '07-'08 were due to having his jaw shattered by a puck while screening the goalie; proneness to injury had nothing to do with this.
  • All eight games he missed in '09-'10 were due to an injury to his left eye; proneness to injury had nothing to do with this.
  • The total sum of games missed by Cleary due to standard hockey injury over the last five years is thus 30 rather than 59; this places him at only six games missed to standard injury per season over the last five seasons, which in turn classifies him as an exceptionally durable hockey player.

In other words, your statement that Cleary is injury-prone was not an opinion; it was simply incorrect, the product of your decision to make uninformed claims. I have nothing against your opinions; you're entitled to them. But your claim on Cleary's durability wasn't an opinion; it was simply a know-it-all pronouncement that had no truth behind it.

Edited by Crymson

I expect maybe 50 games out of him lol. Everyone on this forum knows how I feel about Cleary and his Overpaid contract. I really don't expect even 60 games out of him, his body is giving up. Damaged goods, and those who post clips on youtube etc with his 'clutch' goals, truth is with another player making 3 million on our team getting as much ice time as Cleary does they're gonna get 'clutch' goals as well. I for one wish he was off the team, but that's just me.

Oh, I do know more. You're hating on him for missing 20 games per season, when:

A) It's rare for a hockey player to get through an entire season without injury.

B) His injury in 2007 was due to a questionable hit.

C) His injury in 2008 was due to having his jaw shattered by a puck while screening the goalie.

D) His injury this season was due to

Your claims that he is exceptionally injury-prone are silly.

Let me just add that prone to injury has 2 meanings.

1. Susceptible or likely to get injured in any way.

2. Prone on a certain part of the body which continuously gets injured.

When we say this we mean out of all the Red Wings on the team If I had to place money on who was going to be injured and miss most of the season I'm putting it on Cleary cause he always gets hurt, and Zetterberg because of his back.

Edited by NBCnothingbutcrosby

I expect maybe 50 games out of him lol. Everyone on this forum knows how I feel about Cleary and his Overpaid contract. I really don't expect even 60 games out of him, his body is giving up. Damaged goods, and those who post clips on youtube etc with his 'clutch' goals, truth is with another player making 3 million on our team getting as much ice time as Cleary does they're gonna get 'clutch' goals as well. I for one wish he was off the team, but that's just me.

CLUTCHHHHHH

Or this from soooo long ago... :hehe:

Complaining about youtube posts will just get some more of this. And making claims that Clears will play 50 games lol and be shocked if he plays 60 cracks me up. What are these "signs of age" inuries he has had??? I am interested here.

CLUTCHHHHHH

Or this from soooo long ago... :hehe:

Complaining about youtube posts will just get some more of this. And making claims that Clears will play 50 games lol and be shocked if he plays 60 cracks me up. What are these "signs of age" inuries he has had??? I am interested here.

The past two seasons he has played under 65 games, so yeah you're right completely insane i say he players under 60!!! [insert sarcasm here]

Signs of age let's see first, I said damaged goods not having to do with age itself, but having to do with wear on the body.

Cleary's list of recent injurys

-Groin tears

-Torn menisci (not to mention surgery)

-Jaw fractures

-Seperated Shoulder

That's just the last 2 seasons... He knows he hasn't earned his check, he knows he let his team down, he knows he didn't put not even 1 POINT up in the Phx series.

So go ahead play clips of him on a hit where he left his feet (Which I didn't enjoy watching because you can clearly see him jump before contact.) and how he had a clinching goal. But with 15 minutes of Ice time each game there are WAY better players making the same amount of money who can get the job done as well, they may not get clinching goals those exact moments but they could probably keep us out of those moments as well. (David Backes comes to mind)

Guest Crymson

What do we know about you and your feelings on Cleary? Well, we know that you've showed up to make inane claims about him, and that you've then jetted away without responding when people have called out your nonsense for what it is.

What do we know about you and your feelings on Cleary? Well, we know that you've showed up to make inane claims about him, and that you've then jetted away without responding when people have called out your nonsense for what it is.

What am I gonna do fight over the internet. No.

I'm gonna make my claims and watch them play out again next season, then come back on here and say "I told you so" while everyone complains and wants him to waive his NTC.

If it doesn't playout that way which I believe it will but oh well, I'll come back and eat crow's pie.

The past two seasons he has played under 65 games, so yeah you're right completely insane i say he players under 60!!! [insert sarcasm here]

Signs of age let's see first, I said damaged goods not having to do with age itself, but having to do with wear on the body.

-Groin tears

-Jaw fractures

-Seperated Shoulder

That's just the last 2 seasons... He knows he hasn't earned his check, he knows he let his team down, he knows he didn't put not even 1 POINT up in the Phx series.

So go ahead play clips of him on a hit where he left his feet (Which I didn't enjoy watching because you can clearly see him jump before contact.) and how he had a clinching goal. But with 15 minutes of Ice time each game there are WAY better players making the same amount of money who can get the job done as well, they may not get clinching goals those exact moments but they could probably keep us out of those moments as well. (David Backes comes to mind)

Not everyone plays all 82 games every single season.Cleary is a battler so of course he's gonna get banged up here and there.Give the guy a break.If he comes back 100% next year and puts up 25 points in 65 or 70 games,then i'll understand people's frustration.

Guest Crymson

-Groin tears

-Jaw fractures

-Seperated Shoulder

Sigh...

• Cleary played 74 games in '08-'09.
  • Cleary's jaw was not injured within the last two seasons.
  • Jaw injuries do not have any long-term performance implications for hockey players.
  • Groin tears are extremely common in hockey players.
  • Groin tears can often be 100% recovered from.
  • Torn menisci often cause no lasting effect after being treated, unlike injuries to the collateral and cruciate ligaments.
  • Cleary most certainly did not let the team down in '08-'09; he was good during the regular season, and he was one of our absolute best players during the playoffs.
  • Cleary was playing injured all of last season, including during the playoffs. He was presumably asked, as a result of the crazy injury spell, to play throughout the regular season despite his injuries; one would assume that he would have taken time off for rehab otherwise.
  • Dion Phaneuf called Cleary's hit clean, and the Flames as a whole made no fuss about the hit. This has been pointed out to you more than once already.
  • Cleary is one of the most complete players on the team. He accomplishes a whole lot with his ice time.
  • Backes is younger than Cleary and will be paid considerably more; this makes your comparison rather silly.

In short: your post is full of inanities.

What am I gonna do fight over the internet. No.

I'm gonna make my claims and watch them play out again next season, then come back on here and say "I told you so" while everyone complains and wants him to waive his NTC.

If it doesn't playout that way which I believe it will but oh well, I'll come back and eat crow's pie.

Oh, OK... I get it now. You come on here and make passionate statements but don't actually care about anyone's opinion. Is that right? If so, why don't you just yell at a wall instead?

Nay, I'm fairly sure you just like to whine and don't like to take responsibility for your words.

Edited by Crymson

Not everyone plays all 82 games every single season.Cleary is a battler so of course he's gonna get banged up here and there.Give the guy a break.If he comes back 100% next year and puts up 25 points in 65 or 70 games,then i'll understand people's frustration.

I know hockey players get hurt obviously but he missed 1/4 of each season as of late, it'd be a lot nicer if his cap hit was 1/4 less... we could really use that extra $625,000 of cap room.

I know hockey players get hurt obviously but he missed 1/4 of each season as of late, it'd be a lot nicer if his cap hit was 1/4 less... we could really use that extra $625,000 of cap room.

Yeah but it simply doesn't work that way.He couldn't have planned on getting hurt for a fourth of the year and sign for a fourth less.