• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

CenterIce

Red Wings re-sign Derek Meech

Rate this topic

The best thing you could say about Meech or Janik is that they'd be fighting for a very limited, rather unimportant role, and so couldn't do much damage.

I'd prefer we find someone decent, but failing that I'm ok with standing pat with what we have, and saving some cap space for the deadline. Hey, you never know. Maybe Weber and Nashville management will start a big feud... dreaming's allowed, right? :hehe:

You're not going to be able to spend the league minimum and sign a better defenseman than Derek Meech.

You're not going to be able to spend the league minimum and sign a better defenseman than Derek Meech.

Debateable. Irrelevant though, since we aren't limited to league minimum. Depending on what Abs and Helm sign for, how much reserve we want to keep, and if we want to risk going with only 13 forwards, we could potentially go as high as $2-2.5 million.

$1.5 is more realistic, but that could still get us something better. Few decent ones left though, so there's a good chance we just have ride what we have, at least for a while to build up some cap for a trade.

Guest mindfly

Wings competition for the 6th spot (assuming ericsson is safe at no.5?) I'd say that's healthy and good compeition...

Kindl, Janik, Meech (if not traded), Ryasensky, Mckee/Hnidy/FA, Smith (outside chance), unknown camp invite (most likely, they always got invites for every position)

Edited by mindfly

Janik is a good one-tool defenseman to have as a #7. Meech isn't as physical or as defensively capable, but he's better all-around, and a better player overall. The fact that he can be plugged into a defensive or offensive role on defense makes him a better choice than Janik, let alone the fact that he is a better puck mover and sees the ice better.

Did you not read the part where I said "strictly in regards to the #7 Dman" or where I stated Meech is the better all-around player? All you essentially did is repeat what I said.

Debateable. Irrelevant though, since we aren't limited to league minimum. Depending on what Abs and Helm sign for, how much reserve we want to keep, and if we want to risk going with only 13 forwards, we could potentially go as high as $2-2.5 million.

$1.5 is more realistic, but that could still get us something better. Few decent ones left though, so there's a good chance we just have ride what we have, at least for a while to build up some cap for a trade.

Except that if we're committing that kind if cash to another defenseman, he sure as hell better not be the #7 defenseman.

If we're strictly talking Dmen, I'd probably slightly prefer Janik. His game is very different than Meech's, and I think for a bottom pairing his style of play is a little more useful than what Meech brings. What makes your question blurry is that its not just Meech vs. Janik for the 7th Dman, rather its Janik vs. Meech for the 7th Dman + Meech, the capable plug up front.

Good question.....tough to answer.

In the games that I saw (and personally at the Joe, like 12/31 against COL), Janik looked better defensively and more responsible on both ends of the ice. Not saying that Meech isn't, but that Janik is slightly ahead of him.

I am glad I looked at that date on this topic... that was funny though...made me laugh for a moment, until I realized that if you just replace the name in the title with Quincey and it was just about as useless as a signing this would have been, then I curse Holland again...