• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
HankthaTank

Jimmy cracks top 10 goalies in NHL

Rate this topic

Fleury is far too inconsistent to be considered an elite goaltender, even their fans would support that.

Its true, though he's blamed for every loss. There's no way he's worth $5 mil a year. He's not $4 mil better than Brent Johnson.

I was surprised to see Howie up there. Not because I don't think he doesn't deserve it but because its rare to see a Wings goalie get credit for anything. People always say "Ohhh their defense is so good, it doesn't matter how good the goalie is. Look how good Osgood looks behind that defense." Meanwhile, Brodeur played most of his career with Scott Stevens, Scott Niedermayer, Brian Rafalski, Ken Daneyko, etc, and nobody said anything about that.

People need to realize Marty is past his prime and no longer a elite Goaltender. IMO there are a lot of overrated goalies currently in the NHL. Luongo and Fleury being the biggest.

Fleury is far too inconsistent to be considered an elite goaltender, even their fans would support that.

+1 to both of you. Along with Niemi, Fleury's probably one of the worst goaltenders to win a Cup in the past ten years.

45 wins is pretty good for a non-elite goalie.

Have you watched any of NJ's playoffs games the last few years? Marty has been downright horrendous.

Fluery also had 37 wins while having one of the worst SV% and GAA in the NHL. I wouldn't buy too much into wins.

Vokoun is honestly the most underrated goalie in the league. On Nashville and Florida, he's the only reason why his team EVER wins a game. If he were to ever go to a cup contender... he'd be vicious. I'd love to have him here. With Detroit's D and his goaltending...

Yes, I feel its a huge oversight by many and thats why I love coming on here to re-hash my memory. Vokoun should absolutely be on that list as he has been the MVP on almost every team he is on. Everyone gets overlooked in FLA and even Nashville. Case in point, Nathan Horton, although known by the trained hockey fan, will be one to watch in Beantown this year.

I can't even come up with a top 10, especially without Nabokov.

Miller

Bryzgalov

Lundqvist

Broduer

Vokoun

Luongo

Kipprusoff

Backstrom

After that are players like Rask, Halak, Rinne, Anderson, Quick, Ward, Fluery, Howard, Price, Hiller, Chris Mason, and probably a host of others I can't think of atm who are either too young, too old, too inconsistent, or too something to really stand out from the pack.

If I had to add two more, I guess I'd go with Rinne and Hiller for now.

Top 10 IMO -

1. Luongo

2. Miller

3. Kiprusoff

4. Brodeur

5. Lundqvist

6. Bryzgalov

7. Ward

8. Rinne

9. Backstrom

10. Howard

Next Tier -

1. Fleury

2. Hiller

3. Vokoun

4. Quick

5. Anderson

6. Thomas

7. Niemi

8. Giguere

9. Turco

10. Khabibulin

Hmm no Raask??

It's interesting that people question whether he belongs in the top 10 because he's been a top 5 goalie in terms of statistics in his NHL career. Of course he's only played one season but that caveat shouldn't change a ranking made based on the 09-10 season and looking towards the 10-11 season.

I can find more than 5 goalies who I feel are better than Jimmy but that's hard to justify in the light of cold hard facts-- Howard was a top 5 goalie in save percentage and goals against average. Period. He was the MVP on a team with Lidstrom, Datsyuk and Zetterberg.

It's cute that anyone would rank 09-10 Luongo over 09-10 Howard because that can't possibly be based on how Luongo played last season (average at best).

Howard can only be ranked outside the top 10 if we ignore his statistical production.

Howard has to confirm his performance next season!

Have a look at Steve Mason. He played an awesome season for CLS in 08/09. But last year he showed an average performance.

I really hope, that Jimmy will play another great season.

But you can´t call him a Top 10 goalie so far.

Howard has to confirm his performance next season!

Have a look at Steve Mason. He played an awesome season for CLS in 08/09. But last year he showed an average performance.

I really hope, that Jimmy will play another great season.

But you can´t call him a Top 10 goalie so far.

Columbus is a much different team than Detroit.

This isn't the era of goalies that it was a decade or so ago. Its weird seeing some of those names in a top 10 list and not being able to come up with anything better.

I was thinking the same thing.

It's interesting that people question whether he belongs in the top 10 because he's been a top 5 goalie in terms of statistics in his NHL career. Of course he's only played one season but that caveat shouldn't change a ranking made based on the 09-10 season and looking towards the 10-11 season.

Not really, when you consider second year goalies have a tendency to regress.

The team around Luongo s***s the bed not him he is easily one of the best in the league, just because he hasnt won anything doesnt make him a bad player, lots of players in other sports are top players and never won anything either, his D always hangs him out to dry.

Gotta be honest, watching Luongo play in the Gold Medal game got me REAL nervous. Even with just 2GA it wasn't his best game. He's still got a lot to prove in pressure situations, and last year showed some inconsistencies if I remember correctly. Either way, he'd stick on my top 10... don't really know who else or where to put them on that list.

Not really, when you consider second year goalies have a tendency to regress.

Some regress. The sophomore slump is a big exaggerated. Sure it happens sometimes but does it happen any more frequently than regression does with any other player (not counting 35+ guys).

Some regress. The sophomore slump is a big exaggerated. Sure it happens sometimes but does it happen any more frequently than regression does with any other player (not counting 35+ guys).

With goalies? Recent evidence says yes.

Top 10 IMO -

1. Luongo

2. Miller

3. Kiprusoff

4. Brodeur

5. Lundqvist

6. Bryzgalov

7. Ward

8. Rinne

9. Backstrom

10. Howard

Next Tier -

1. Fleury

2. Hiller

3. Vokoun

4. Quick

5. Anderson

6. Thomas

7. Niemi

8. Giguere

9. Turco

10. Khabibulin

Perfect example of what I meant. Vokoun should be at LOWEST #7. He posts average GAA and SV%, but he's about the same in those categories as Luongo was when he was in Florida

Raycroft!

But seriously, it certainly is exaggerated. I think it's more a case of just about every year brings a new crop of 'next big thing' goalies, and most of them end up either flaring out or never taking that next step to being a clear top goalie.

Raycroft, Lalime, Mason, DiPietro, Theodore, Huet, Ellis, Roloson, Ward... just a few off the top of my head. Not always rookies or even young guys, and some have had pretty solid careers. They just get over-hyped during a particularly good year or playoff run. And players can have good years and bad years. One season just isn't enough for most people to consider a player among the elite. They have to prove it wasn't a fluke.

Howard probably deserves to be considered one of the top 10 goalies from last year, but that doesn't mean much for next year, nor make him one of the ten best goalies currently playing. Just like Thomas's Vezina two years ago didn't make him one of the ten best last year.

Raycroft!

But seriously, it certainly is exaggerated. I think it's more a case of just about every year brings a new crop of 'next big thing' goalies, and most of them end up either flaring out or never taking that next step to being a clear top goalie.

Raycroft, Lalime, Mason, DiPietro, Theodore, Huet, Ellis, Roloson, Ward... just a few off the top of my head. Not always rookies or even young guys, and some have had pretty solid careers. They just get over-hyped during a particularly good year or playoff run. And players can have good years and bad years. One season just isn't enough for most people to consider a player among the elite. They have to prove it wasn't a fluke.

Howard probably deserves to be considered one of the top 10 goalies from last year, but that doesn't mean much for next year, nor make him one of the ten best goalies currently playing. Just like Thomas's Vezina two years ago didn't make him one of the ten best last year.

Not to mention Giguere in 2003-04. I know he wasn't a rookie in 2003, but it was his first playoff.

Perfect example of what I meant. Vokoun should be at LOWEST #7. He posts average GAA and SV%, but he's about the same in those categories as Luongo was when he was in Florida

Average sv%?

Vokoun has been one of the league's best goaltenders for nearly a decade and nobody gives him credit. Vokoun has better playoff numbers than Luongo on worse teams, his save percentage has been .918 or better six of the past seven seasons. Luongo only four in the last seven. Vokoun has hit .919, .920, .925, and .926 in the past four seasons compared to Luongo's .913, .917, .920, and .921.

But as far as Panthers tenure?

Vokoun is .919, .925, .926 in save percentage. Luongo's save percentages were .920, .915, .918, .931, .914.

So Vokoun has outperformed Luongo both in direct competition and in comparison of their time with Florida. Vokoun also has singlehandedly carried his team to the playoffs in the past, something Luongo was never able to do.

The two goalies have comparable career statistics, so given the fact that Vokoun has been the better goalie recently and the two have equal careers, any top-goalies list which includes Luongo must include Vokoun.