• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#41 SDavis35

SDavis35

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 941 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 08:46 PM

The team around Luongo s***s the bed not him he is easily one of the best in the league, just because he hasnt won anything doesnt make him a bad player, lots of players in other sports are top players and never won anything either, his D always hangs him out to dry.

Gotta be honest, watching Luongo play in the Gold Medal game got me REAL nervous. Even with just 2GA it wasn't his best game. He's still got a lot to prove in pressure situations, and last year showed some inconsistencies if I remember correctly. Either way, he'd stick on my top 10... don't really know who else or where to put them on that list.

#42 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,336 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 09:26 PM

Not really, when you consider second year goalies have a tendency to regress.

Some regress. The sophomore slump is a big exaggerated. Sure it happens sometimes but does it happen any more frequently than regression does with any other player (not counting 35+ guys).
Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft

#43 thedisappearer

thedisappearer

Hall-of-Famer

• Silver Booster
  • 2,194 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 09:48 PM

Some regress. The sophomore slump is a big exaggerated. Sure it happens sometimes but does it happen any more frequently than regression does with any other player (not counting 35+ guys).

With goalies? Recent evidence says yes.
*this space for rent*

#44 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 10:04 PM

Have a look at Steve Mason. He played an awesome season for CLS in 08/09.

Overrated season. Not awesome. He was average among starters, but a great couple of weeks earned him the Calder and a Vezina nomination.
"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."

#45 Shady Ultima

Shady Ultima

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 10:22 PM

Top 10 IMO -

1. Luongo
2. Miller
3. Kiprusoff
4. Brodeur
5. Lundqvist
6. Bryzgalov
7. Ward
8. Rinne
9. Backstrom
10. Howard

Next Tier -

1. Fleury
2. Hiller
3. Vokoun
4. Quick
5. Anderson
6. Thomas
7. Niemi
8. Giguere
9. Turco
10. Khabibulin

Perfect example of what I meant. Vokoun should be at LOWEST #7. He posts average GAA and SV%, but he's about the same in those categories as Luongo was when he was in Florida

#46 puffy

puffy

Slightly Insane

• PipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 10:23 PM

Jimmy is not top 10. Any unbiased fan would agree.

He still has a lot to prove.

Edited by puffy, 16 July 2010 - 10:24 PM.

#47 Buppy

Buppy

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,990 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 10:56 PM

Raycroft!

But seriously, it certainly is exaggerated. I think it's more a case of just about every year brings a new crop of 'next big thing' goalies, and most of them end up either flaring out or never taking that next step to being a clear top goalie.

Raycroft, Lalime, Mason, DiPietro, Theodore, Huet, Ellis, Roloson, Ward... just a few off the top of my head. Not always rookies or even young guys, and some have had pretty solid careers. They just get over-hyped during a particularly good year or playoff run. And players can have good years and bad years. One season just isn't enough for most people to consider a player among the elite. They have to prove it wasn't a fluke.

Howard probably deserves to be considered one of the top 10 goalies from last year, but that doesn't mean much for next year, nor make him one of the ten best goalies currently playing. Just like Thomas's Vezina two years ago didn't make him one of the ten best last year.

#48 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 23,360 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 10:58 PM

Raycroft!

But seriously, it certainly is exaggerated. I think it's more a case of just about every year brings a new crop of 'next big thing' goalies, and most of them end up either flaring out or never taking that next step to being a clear top goalie.

Raycroft, Lalime, Mason, DiPietro, Theodore, Huet, Ellis, Roloson, Ward... just a few off the top of my head. Not always rookies or even young guys, and some have had pretty solid careers. They just get over-hyped during a particularly good year or playoff run. And players can have good years and bad years. One season just isn't enough for most people to consider a player among the elite. They have to prove it wasn't a fluke.

Howard probably deserves to be considered one of the top 10 goalies from last year, but that doesn't mean much for next year, nor make him one of the ten best goalies currently playing. Just like Thomas's Vezina two years ago didn't make him one of the ten best last year.

Not to mention Giguere in 2003-04. I know he wasn't a rookie in 2003, but it was his first playoff.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#49 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 01:05 AM

Perfect example of what I meant. Vokoun should be at LOWEST #7. He posts average GAA and SV%, but he's about the same in those categories as Luongo was when he was in Florida

Average sv%?

Vokoun has been one of the league's best goaltenders for nearly a decade and nobody gives him credit. Vokoun has better playoff numbers than Luongo on worse teams, his save percentage has been .918 or better six of the past seven seasons. Luongo only four in the last seven. Vokoun has hit .919, .920, .925, and .926 in the past four seasons compared to Luongo's .913, .917, .920, and .921.

But as far as Panthers tenure?

Vokoun is .919, .925, .926 in save percentage. Luongo's save percentages were .920, .915, .918, .931, .914.

So Vokoun has outperformed Luongo both in direct competition and in comparison of their time with Florida. Vokoun also has singlehandedly carried his team to the playoffs in the past, something Luongo was never able to do.

The two goalies have comparable career statistics, so given the fact that Vokoun has been the better goalie recently and the two have equal careers, any top-goalies list which includes Luongo must include Vokoun.

"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."

#50 Buppy

Buppy

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,990 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 01:29 AM

...Vokoun ...

I was digging through some stats earlier and was pretty surprised at how well Vokoun has done. Guess that's what you get playing in Nashville and Florida.

#51 StayClassy

StayClassy

Babcock's Doormat

• Pip
  • 64 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 01:46 AM

Miller
Bryzgalov
Kiprusoff
Brodeur
Backstrom
Lundqvist
Vokoun
Luongo
Fleury
Howard

I didn't too much though in the order so much, but it seems close enough to me.

Edited by StayClassy, 17 July 2010 - 01:47 AM.

"Let him live."

#52 Jaymister

Jaymister

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,954 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 02:30 AM

Why is Luongo so high on everyone's list? The guy hasn't won anything, and he always s***s the bed in big games and the playoffs. Most overrated player in the NHL

totally agree, his numbers in the reguler season where even subpar last season.
Cujo is a top 5 goalie in the league- Scott Lucidi

#53 Tommy_Like_Wingy

Tommy_Like_Wingy

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 03:26 AM

Miller
Bryzgalov
Kiprusoff
Brodeur
Backstrom
Lundqvist
Vokoun
Luongo
Fleury
Howard

I didn't too much though in the order so much, but it seems close enough to me.

Please tell me you didn't purposely leave Halak, Rinne, and Anderson off the list just to squeeze Howard in there....

Edited by Tommy_Like_Wingy, 17 July 2010 - 03:27 AM.

#54 puffy

puffy

Slightly Insane

• PipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 10:58 PM

Marc Andre Fleury is so overrated it hurts.

For starters a 2.65 GAA is hardly something to brag about, especially when you play on a great team.

Lets forget GAA for a second though because I know people like to bring up SV%.

MARC ANDRE FLEURY
2005/2006 .898
2006/2007 .906
2007/2008 .921
2008/2009 .912
2009/2010 .905

JEAN SEBASTIEN GIGUERE
2005/2006 .911
2006/2007 .918
2007/2008 .922
2008/2009 .900
2009/2010 .916 (With Toronto)

Does anyone see the irony here? JS Giguere is a past his prime pile of puke according to many people and yet Fleury makes the Top 10 in some cases? Give me a break!!! Put Marc-Andre on the Leafs and see if he can pull off a GAA lower than 3.20 and a save % higher than .900. I highly doubt he can.

Edited by puffy, 17 July 2010 - 11:19 PM.

#55 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 23,360 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 12:22 PM

Please tell me you didn't purposely leave Halak, Rinne, and Anderson off the list just to squeeze Howard in there....

Halak should be on the list based on one playoff run?

"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#56 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 12:25 PM

Halak should be on the list based on one playoff run?

Well can't you kind of say the same thing about Jimmy's rookie season?

#57 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 23,360 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 12:32 PM

Well can't you kind of say the same thing about Jimmy's rookie season?

I'd say an entire season beats out a month and a half of hockey. Halak's regular season stats aren't terrible, but they're not top 10 worthy. Howard should be rated in that category for this season mainly due to the fact that he was a rookie and posted veteran stats.

#58 chrisdetroit

chrisdetroit

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,407 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 12:54 PM

This is silly. Lots of goaltenders have 1 good year and then fizzle. Even friken Cristobal Huet had 1 good year. Therefore, Jimmy doesn't qualify and neither does Craig Anderson or Steve Mason.

2 or 3 good years as well as at least 1 good playoff IMO is necessary. Therefore, strike Luongo, Jimmy, Peke Rinne, Steve Mason, etc.
Do or do not. There is no try

#59 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 23,360 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 01:13 PM

This is silly. Lots of goaltenders have 1 good year and then fizzle. Even friken Cristobal Huet had 1 good year. Therefore, Jimmy doesn't qualify and neither does Craig Anderson or Steve Mason.

2 or 3 good years as well as at least 1 good playoff IMO is necessary. Therefore, strike Luongo, Jimmy, Peke Rinne, Steve Mason, etc.

But Lou only let in 5 this time around instead of 7, he improved!!

#60 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,304 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 01:20 PM

Average sv%?

Vokoun has been one of the league's best goaltenders for nearly a decade and nobody gives him credit. Vokoun has better playoff numbers than Luongo on worse teams, his save percentage has been .918 or better six of the past seven seasons. Luongo only four in the last seven. Vokoun has hit .919, .920, .925, and .926 in the past four seasons compared to Luongo's .913, .917, .920, and .921.

But as far as Panthers tenure?

Vokoun is .919, .925, .926 in save percentage. Luongo's save percentages were .920, .915, .918, .931, .914.

So Vokoun has outperformed Luongo both in direct competition and in comparison of their time with Florida. Vokoun also has singlehandedly carried his team to the playoffs in the past, something Luongo was never able to do.

The two goalies have comparable career statistics, so given the fact that Vokoun has been the better goalie recently and the two have equal careers, any top-goalies list which includes Luongo must include Vokoun.

Great post.

I've always liked Vokoun and thought he was a very good goaltender. I couldn't believe the Preds picked Mason over him pretty much based on 40 games performance. It's unfortunate that Vokoun has remained somewhat in the shadows because of the less than stellar teams he plays for.

Maybe the fans in Florida should start yelling "Vooooouuuuuu!" anytime he makes a routine save.