• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Philadelphia's cap issues

Rate this topic

No. When you're $2.5m over the cap, it is about clearing space. I would've thought that part would be pretty obvious.

Yeah and when you have 3 too many bottom 6 players and move 2 of them, youre clearing cap space. Thats how math works. Team pay roll - 2 players salary = cleared cap space.

Yeah theyre gonna trade Gagne but you can also clear space by getting rid of bottom 6ers if you have 3 too many. We traded Leino to make cap space for Mule but I guess by your logic we should've traded Datsyuk so Mule could come back

I still get a crack out of that. If he were to cut that crap out, he'd make a solid addition to the Wings had he not already been re-signed IMO.

Not every player is perfect but I really can't think of any other time he has really been a diver. for the most part he just plays with an edge and will fight almost anyone and pisses everyone off. He's like a prime Maltby that fights.

Oh I didn't realize he was an RFA, and it still wouldn't surprise me to see him either not signed or his rights traded since he's an RFA. Its not so much about clearing cap space as it is getting rid of an unnecessary amount of bottom 6 players. They have more bottom 6 guys then Detroit does right now and instead of paying 3 guys to sit in the press box they can save probably a million or so by trading 1 or 2 of them.

this is a good one.

so you're saying the problem is not that theyre well over the salary cap, but that they have too much depth and need to be rid of that depth. HAHA wtf???

seriously do you give any thought at all to your posts... any?

this is a good one.

so you're saying the problem is not that theyre well over the salary cap, but that they have too much depth and need to be rid of that depth. HAHA wtf???

I don't see anything wrong with clearing salary of low-key players that don't play much anyway.

this is a good one.

Yeah thats really smart. Lets have 3 NHL calibre players sitting in our press box while we're in cap trouble instead of trading a couple of them, clearing a bit of space so we're not in as much trouble, then see what kind of move we can make with Gagne.

You really think theyre gonna sit on 3 NHL players not getting ice time while they're 2 million over the salary cap?

Give your head a shake if thats the case

I don't see anything wrong with clearing salary of low-key players that don't play much anyway.

Thank you. Cap space is cap space. Whether its 5 million youre clearing or just a million, Philly is going to trade players they wont use in order to clear it.

Yeah and when you have 3 too many bottom 6 players and move 2 of them, youre clearing cap space. Thats how math works. Team pay roll - 2 players salary = cleared cap space.

Yeah theyre gonna trade Gagne but you can also clear space by getting rid of bottom 6ers if you have 3 too many. We traded Leino to make cap space for Mule but I guess by your logic we should've traded Datsyuk so Mule could come back

Not every player is perfect but I really can't think of any other time he has really been a diver. for the most part he just plays with an edge and will fight almost anyone and pisses everyone off. He's like a prime Maltby that fights.

Firstly, you said it wasn't about clearing space. No you're contradicting yourself.

Second, my logic was to clear enough space to be under the cap. So by my logic trading Leino makes sense. The difference between Leino and Powe, is Leino had a cap hit for Detroit. He was actually under contract. Is there something wrong with the suggestion that trading someone with an actual cap hit would be better for their cap woes than someone who has no cap hit?

Firstly, you said it wasn't about clearing space. No you're contradicting yourself.

Second, my logic was to clear enough space to be under the cap. So by my logic trading Leino makes sense. The difference between Leino and Powe, is Leino had a cap hit for Detroit. He was actually under contract. Is there something wrong with the suggestion that trading someone with an actual cap hit would be better for their cap woes than someone who has no cap hit?

I meant its not really about cap space because it isn't going to clear a whole bunch but its a start.

Second, not trading Powe would be dumb. Theyre just going to give their RFA away without recieving some kind of compensation? What youre suggesting is that trading an extra bottom 6er or 2 isn't goign to help clear any cap space, which it will. Trading one of those guys could be the difference i them being over the cap or under it.

Would it be better to trade someone with a 4 mil contract to clear space? yes

Would trading a couple bottom 6ers and clear a million still be a good way to clear some space? For sure. as a wings fan and the tight cap we've had the last few years you should know a million dollars can be huge when calling up for injuries.

I meant its not really about cap space because it isn't going to clear a whole bunch but its a start.

Second, not trading Powe would be dumb. Theyre just going to give their RFA away without recieving some kind of compensation? What youre suggesting is that trading an extra bottom 6er or 2 isn't goign to help clear any cap space, which it will. Trading one of those guys could be the difference i them being over the cap or under it.

Would it be better to trade someone with a 4 mil contract to clear space? yes

Would trading a couple bottom 6ers and clear a million still be a good way to clear some space? For sure. as a wings fan and the tight cap we've had the last few years you should know a million dollars can be huge when calling up for injuries.

I agree that they should probably move a few of their bottom 6 players. But once they move Gagne, they won't need to if they don't want. This thread is about Philly's cap issues. I thought that's what we were discussing. I have no idea how you were able to infer that trading players with lower salaries does not clear cap space -- particularly after I acknowledged it has in the past with Leino and Detroit.

All this notwithstanding, this isn't even really an argument or discussion anymore. We both know where we stand. You were just a little clumsy about it.

Get a load of this WingsfaninMA guy.LGW's newest troll.welcome to the forums,bro.

FYI,smaller contracts are a little easier to move than a contract like Gagne,hence the speculation of dealing bottom 6 forwards,which tend to have smaller contracts.

Get your s*** straight before you get on here and try to poke fun.

So with Gagne gone,do they now have some money to spend?is anyone else on the way out?or are they gonna pick up a top 6 forward?

i could still see them trying to land a legit goalie but as it stands now they have 13 forwards and 8 defenseman I think.

Edited by redwingfan19

So with Gagne gone,do they now have some money to spend?is anyone else on the way out?or are they gonna pick up a top 6 forward?

well they saved 3.5 million or so if my math is right(it probably isnt) so they will just be under now I believe.