94 replies to this topic

#61 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 03:05 PM

So what happens if they still sell out?

They will still continue to copy the Detroit Red Wings until the end of time.
TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

#62 HockeyTownHouligan

HockeyTownHouligan

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 03:18 PM

I will not call them bandwagoners if they stop freaking out to the refs when their player gets hit cleanly. Or when they have a team that sticks together and wins 3 cups in 10 years or something and they continue to sell out every game. Thats when I won't consider them band wagon fans I'll consider them just fans.

#63 Majsheppard

Majsheppard

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 03:25 PM

I went to a bar here in Detroit to watch Philly-Chicago, Chicago ended up winning that game and there was a table full of Blackhawks fans, in sweaters with no name on them. They cheered and I booed them and the Hawks.

When the game was over one of them came over and asked us if we were from Philly. We said no, Detroit. He asked why are you rooting for Philly then?
I said why would I root for a team that chants Detroit sucks when we play them?

He said, well Detroit does suck. I am not one for a bar fight, but if I were ever to get into one it would have been over that. I left immediately, as I would get fired from my job for one punch to that guys face.

I say let their reign be the shortest ever. Let their misery last twice as long next time. To hell with Chicago, and to hell with their team.
"It is a lot easier to be an ******* to words than to people"-xkcd

Tootoo does NOT belong on this team. He is classless and I would rather see the Wings be bad than classless. I feel the same way about Bertuzzi as well, but he at least CAN make the team better. With Tootoo the team becomes worse and in danger of being classless. Would you have liked Claude on the team? Or Roy? No. So why would you be okay with that POS.

This thread has been closed due to emotions being higher than people's ability to read, interpret, and properly respond to simple posts.

#64 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 03:27 PM

I went to a bar here in Detroit to watch Philly-Chicago, Chicago ended up winning that game and there was a table full of Blackhawks fans, in sweaters with no name on them. They cheered and I booed them and the Hawks.

When the game was over one of them came over and asked us if we were from Philly. We said no, Detroit. He asked why are you rooting for Philly then?

He said, well Detroit does suck. I am not one for a bar fight, but if I were ever to get into one it would have been over that. I left immediately, as I would get fired from my job for one punch to that guys face.

I say let their reign be the shortest ever. Let their misery last twice as long next time. To hell with Chicago, and to hell with their team.

I think this happened with this past offseason actually

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#65 Majsheppard

Majsheppard

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 03:30 PM

I think this was a "marketing idea" created by the Chicago Tribune. You know, the paper that...

You mean the paper that paid off a jury and judge to convict and kill innocent men for a crime they did not commit in 1887 while telling all of the world false news to drive home the fact that these men were villians? Yeah that one.

Not surprised they haven't gained some integrity in 130 years.
"It is a lot easier to be an ******* to words than to people"-xkcd

Tootoo does NOT belong on this team. He is classless and I would rather see the Wings be bad than classless. I feel the same way about Bertuzzi as well, but he at least CAN make the team better. With Tootoo the team becomes worse and in danger of being classless. Would you have liked Claude on the team? Or Roy? No. So why would you be okay with that POS.

This thread has been closed due to emotions being higher than people's ability to read, interpret, and properly respond to simple posts.

#66 Tommy_Like_Wingy

Tommy_Like_Wingy

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 03:45 PM

I will not call them bandwagoners if they stop freaking out to the refs when their player gets hit cleanly. Or when they have a team that sticks together and wins 3 cups in 10 years or something and they continue to sell out every game. Thats when I won't consider them band wagon fans I'll consider them just fans.

lol what does this have to do with the fans being bandwagoners or not?

#67 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 06:52 PM

Fans of a team have to start somewhere. Doesn't make you or our fans any better than theirs. We'll see if they stick in a few years. If/when Detroit starts to get inconsistent, it'd be interesting to see if some Wings fans stay par like now. And it's slim/none that many teams will win 3 cups in 10 years.

K... You realize that by booing them and being the first to provoke and start stuff, you are encouraging conflict and a fight even if that wasn't your intention? And you're against bar fights you said?

#68 Jett1913

Jett1913

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 77 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 11:23 PM

LOL...I could tell you the fanbase will stop grasping a name eerily similar to yours, except we don't do that. Hard to stop doing something we never did, ya know?

As for Detroit sucks...nah that's gotta continue. It's too fun. You all should take that as a badge of honor anyway. I debate with a fellow Hawks fan at work about the Detroit sucks chant all the time. He takes it a bit too serious for what it is, as a few here seem to do. It's all harmless fun.

...well, then you'll pardon us for laughing our asses off as we watch your championship team get dismantled... because it's just harmless fun, right?

#69 ChicagoMan

ChicagoMan

Jr. Prospect

• 26 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 07:53 PM

Wow didn't think wings fans would be so jealous over one title. You can rip and rip the Hawks all you want about losing role players, but the fact remains the Wings did the same thing and as of right now still may not be as good as Chicago. As long as these guys minus Kopecky in the photo below are in the Indian Head sweater...Detroit is going to have a hell of a time getting past Chicago.

The Hawks have one of the best group of core players in the league. Kane, Toews, Seabrook, Keith, Hjalmarsson, Hossa, and Bolland. With the cap era in full swing it will be tough for the Wings to buy players again...It's been a awful long time since Detroit had some good prospects come through since Z and Dats

Posted Image

Edited by ChicagoMan, 25 July 2010 - 07:56 PM.

#70 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,696 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 08:01 PM

Kris Versteeg
Dustin Byfuglien
Andrew Ladd
Ben Eager
Adam Burish
Brent Sopel
Colin Fraser
Nick Boynton
John Madden

Chicagoman,you don't have much of a core left bro :lol:
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#71 Heroes of Hockeytown

Heroes of Hockeytown

Big Goal Bob

• Bronze Booster
  • 13,729 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 08:17 PM

It's been a awful long time since Detroit had some good prospects come through since Z and Dats

It's no mean feat when you're not operating on first overall picks, but the guys that have gotten to the big club in Detroit since those two like Franzen, Filppula, Kronwall, Hudler, and Howard have done well. You have to remember that most of the players from the last 4-5 drafts aren't even on the Red Wings yet. But even if they did draft someone as good as Zetterberg or Datsyuk, since they already have a Hank and Pav it would be harder for them to have the same impact, they'd have to get in line.

But I am a firm believer in the Wings' scouts and GMs, and that the kids will one day inherent the team from Hank and Pav, as they did from Yzerman and Fedorov.

Edited by Heroes of Hockeytown, 25 July 2010 - 08:18 PM.

"We've been in the same spot all year long. We won 50 games for the fourth year in a row. People think we're just hum-drum and boring.
No, you know what we are, we're good. You can't do what we do every single day and not be good." - Mike Babcock

#72 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,775 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 08:21 PM

Wow didn't think wings fans would be so jealous over one title. You can rip and rip the Hawks all you want about losing role players, but the fact remains the Wings did the same thing and as of right now still may not be as good as Chicago.

The Red Wings organization isn't the one ripping off other team's ideas here.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#73 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,775 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 08:29 PM

Kris Versteeg
Dustin Byfuglien
Andrew Ladd
Ben Eager
Adam Burish
Brent Sopel
Colin Fraser
Nick Boynton
John Madden

Chicagoman,you don't have much of a core left bro :lol:

You'll soon be able to add either Sharp or Niemi to that list.

"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#74 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,375 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 08:30 PM

Wow didn't think wings fans would be so jealous over one title. You can rip and rip the Hawks all you want about losing role players, but the fact remains the Wings did the same thing and as of right now still may not be as good as Chicago. As long as these guys minus Kopecky in the photo below are in the Indian Head sweater...Detroit is going to have a hell of a time getting past Chicago.

The Hawks have one of the best group of core players in the league. Kane, Toews, Seabrook, Keith, Hjalmarsson, Hossa, and Bolland. With the cap era in full swing it will be tough for the Wings to buy players again...It's been a awful long time since Detroit had some good prospects come through since Z and Dats

Maybe the Wings can tank for years to get those high-end prospects.

That cap era comment doesn't even make sense either. You do realize the Red Wings have been the best team in the league still since the cap was put in place?

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#75 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,775 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 08:32 PM

Maybe the Wings can tank for years to get those high-end prospects.

That cap era comment doesn't even make sense either. You do realize the Red Wings have been the best team in the league still since the cap was put in place?

This.

#76 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,922 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 09:16 PM

The Red Wings organization isn't the one ripping off other team's ideas here.

Since they've lost the title of Second City (population-wise) to LA, they aren't second in anything. Now that they have a Cup, they want to be the second city to use the Hockeytown idea. The tie-in with the Hawks works nicely.

They get the joy of winning with the security of hanging on to the coattails of the original.

EDIT to add: And think of the money they save by not having to come up with something original! Not only do they get points from the Green People for recycling, they also get some money to buy nice things for the players they are trying to woo despite having to offer low salaries. That's a lot of pizza, dogs, and whatever else they eat there.

Edited by 55fan, 25 July 2010 - 09:19 PM.

#77 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,775 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 09:28 PM

Since they've lost the title of Second City (population-wise) to LA, they aren't second in anything. Now that they have a Cup, they want to be the second city to use the Hockeytown idea. The tie-in with the Hawks works nicely.

They get the joy of winning with the security of hanging on to the coattails of the original.

EDIT to add: And think of the money they save by not having to come up with something original! Not only do they get points from the Green People for recycling, they also get some money to buy nice things for the players they are trying to woo despite having to offer low salaries. That's a lot of pizza, dogs, and whatever else they eat there.

Maybe they can lure Keith Tkachuk out of retirement with a contract that includes free deep dish Chicago style pizza.

#78 thedisappearer

thedisappearer

Hall-of-Famer

• Silver Booster
  • 2,194 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 10:04 PM

It's no mean feat when you're not operating on first overall picks

Fact. Call me when you get multiple, or back to backů or don't implode after one.
*this space for rent*

#79 Original-Six

Original-Six

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 10:05 PM

Posted Image

Yawn....been there done that.

Posted Image

Posted Image

...It's been a awful long time since Detroit had some good prospects come through since Z and Dats

LMAO.....post of the summer.

Edited by Original-Six, 25 July 2010 - 10:07 PM.

#80 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,922 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 07:17 AM

Don't forget Langer. He was an Olympic medalist too!

Posted Image

Edit: I need a better shot of that. Anyway, left to right- Lang, Sammy, Nik, Nick, Homer, Hank

Edited by 55fan, 26 July 2010 - 07:20 AM.