• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest CaliWingsNut

Ovechkin takes advisor position with Unified Hockey Club Dynamo

Rate this topic

Guest CaliWingsNut

Dynamo Moscow as we knew it died, merging with the 2010 KHL Gagarin Cup finalist HC MVD to create a new team: Unified Hockey Club Dynamo. And now this new hybrid has a new employee — an advisor to the president of the club Alex Ovechkin.

Believe it or not, but from July 1 Alex Ovechkin is employed by UHC Dynamo and even gets paid for his services.

Mikhail Tyurkin, UHC Dynamo's president, told Sovetsky Sport, "Alex has already called me. He is now my official advisor. He is now employed by UHC Dynamo."

He goes on to explain the salary is mostly a formality and modest.

Link - Yahoo

Edited by CaliWingsNut

This is random, but why do so many European hockey and soccer clubs have random initials splattered all over their team name?

Acronyms are neat I guess. HC = hockey club, FC = football club. MVD = Ministerstvo Vnutrennikh Del, which means Ministry of Internal Affairs. Which is a weird thing to name a team after, but maybe in Russia they think it's silly to name teams after leaves and ducks. :P

Whatever the salary is, I'd be upset about this if I were the NHL brass. I can understand wanting to help an old team, but the reality is he paid by the NHL to play and promote in that league. He's one of its biggest stars.

It's really obnoxious and inappropriate to take a paid position helping a team in another league. Honestly I'm surprised it's not specifically prevented in his contract.

You'd think trying to figure out how the Caps can keep from massively failing in the playoffs would be enough to fill his time.

I've been a big AO fan, but my respect for him has definitely gone down the last couple seasons as I grow weary of his antics.

Edited by haroldsnepsts

Acronyms are neat I guess. HC = hockey club, FC = football club. MVD = Ministerstvo Vnutrennikh Del, which means Ministry of Internal Affairs. Which is a weird thing to name a team after, but maybe in Russia they think it's silly to name teams after leaves and ducks. :P

And things that thrash.

Well, in Russia I bet "Ministry of Internal Affairs" is more frightening than lightning or hurricanes or even Panthers.

Guest CaliWingsNut

Whatever the salary is, I'd be upset about this if I were the NHL brass. I can understand wanting to help an old team, but the reality is he paid by the NHL to play and promote in that league. He's one of its biggest stars.

It's really obnoxious and inappropriate to take a paid position helping a team in another league. Honestly I'm surprised it's not specifically prevented in his contract.

You'd think trying to figure out how the Caps can keep from massively failing in the playoffs would be enough to fill his time.

I've been a big AO fan, but my respect for him has definitely gone down the last couple seasons as I grow weary of his antics.

I sort of agree and sort of don't on this one. I'm really sorta torn.

Everyone seems to be fine with Datsyuk spending time at college working on his sports management degree.

They make it sound like it's largely a ceremonial position where he helps out with a couple kids clubs and helps the club understand what part of the NHL really work versus the media hype. I'm pretty ok with that, but if it was more of a job taking his time, etc... then I might have issues with it.

As to the NHL blocking it, I don't think they really can. Are they going to control what every player does with their spare time? Are they going to selectively vote yes or no if each player can hold jobs outside their club position? Many players join charity organizations and jr hockey clubs which potentially could be seen as competition to the NHL as well. Cheli used to spend a fair amount of time managing his bar(s). Doesn't Draper or Maltby operate a gym?

I sort of agree and sort of don't on this one. I'm really sorta torn.

Everyone seems to be fine with Datsyuk spending time at college working on his sports management degree.

They make it sound like it's largely a ceremonial position where he helps out with a couple kids clubs and helps the club understand what part of the NHL really work versus the media hype. I'm pretty ok with that, but if it was more of a job taking his time, etc... then I might have issues with it.

As to the NHL blocking it, I don't think they really can. Are they going to control what every player does with their spare time? Are they going to selectively vote yes or no if each player can hold jobs outside their club position? Many players join charity organizations and jr hockey clubs which potentially could be seen as competition to the NHL as well. Cheli used to spend a fair amount of time managing his bar(s). Doesn't Draper or Maltby operate a gym?

I think how this differs from what Maltby, Draper or Datsyuk are doing is that Ovechkin is being paid as a consultant in another hockey league. To me that's where it crosses the line. Especially if he's helping the KHL understand exactly what works well about the NHL.

The league can't really control what players do in their free time, but it's within reason for them to restrict their employees from working for another professional hockey leagues. If you work for Little Caesar's, I think it's reasonable for them to restrict you from being paid as a consultant at an old Domino's franchise where you used to work.

And aside from the NHL's perspective on this, it's ill-timed by Ovechkin. His team just surpassed the Sharks as biggest postseason washouts, and he's choosing now to spending time helping an old team in a rival league? All of his professional hockey energy should be going towards figuring out how to keep the Caps from repeating what happened this last playoffs.

Guest CaliWingsNut

Does he really need the money to take a second job?

I doubt it's a matter of the job, but something else to put his mind to and a stepping stone to his plans after retirement.

I doubt it's a matter of the job, but something else to put his mind to and a stepping stone to his plans after retirement.

I suppose he's kind of a smart man if he's thinking about retirement already. His style of play will really limit the length of his career.