• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
T-Ruff

Kovalchuk Re-Signs with Devils

Rate this topic

I wonder if it is the $60M over 7 year deal? So who is NJ getting rid of?

David Clarkson to Detroit for Miller, Ritola and a 3rd round pick, gets them 2 bodies and saves 1.5 on the cap!

Then send Zubrus back to Washington (where he played his best hockey) along with Travis Zajack for John Erskine, Matt Bradley, a high draft pick and a prospect... gets them below the cap, fills out their roster and replenished the farm system a little bit with what they lost to get Ilya... quick, someone get me Lou's number, I need to make a call!!!

:ph34r:

Edited by stevkrause

Hell yeah, Kovalchuks a devil, can't wait til they bomb the playoffs again next year.

see that is what I am thinking. He had a better chance to win a cup in LA then he does in NJ lol oh well his decision..

ha no way that it is true.

You wouldn't think so. If it is, NHL would probably look into it.

For real? That would take him until he's 44...

According to puckdaddy, the source is kovys mother!

Would be an insane deal if true.

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

For real? That would take him until he's 44...

He's obviously going to retire before then. Do you seriously not remember the whole point of these super long deals? Two of our own stars signed them for a myriad of the same reasons.

A $5.8 mil cap hit for Kovalchuk would be pretty good. Since he's under 35, wouldn't they be off the hook if he retired before the end of this contract?

They would be, yeah. That's why these really long term deals look so shady. It makes you wonder if they have an understanding that a player is going to retire at a certain age. There's no way the Devils can expect Kovy to play into his mid-40s.

He's obviously going to retire before then. Do you seriously not remember the whole point of these super long deals? Two of our own stars signed them for a myriad of the same reasons.

No, I get why they're made. The difference is our players are signed until an age where they can be reasonably expected to play still. No one expects a player to play until they're 44.

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

A $5.8 mil cap hit for Kovalchuk would be pretty good. Since he's under 35, wouldn't they be off the hook if he retired before the end of this contract?

Correct. If the player is under 35 the day the season starts, they can retire and the remainder of the contract is void.

Edit: Note its the age of the first day of the season in question, not the age when the contract is signed. This is what Philadelphia apparently misunderstood on the Pronger extension.

Edited by EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

Yea what seeinred said pretty much.

Imagine if he DID play into his 40's...wouldn't want to be paying him almost 6m a year haha.

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

They would be, yeah. That's why these really long term deals look so shady. It makes you wonder if they have an understanding that a player is going to retire at a certain age. There's no way the Devils can expect Kovy to play into his mid-40s.

No, I get why they're made. The difference is our players are signed until an age where they can be reasonably expected to play still. No one expects a player to play until they're 44.

Even if the NHL could prove that there were agreements for Kovalchuck to retire before then (which there probably were), there is nothing stopping them from doing so in the CBA.

unless their last name ends in 'elios

seriously though, this is ridiculous, these long term deals should only be allowed to take a player to 40, as that is still a realistic age to be able to compete at a pretty high level in today's game and generally speaking, even if a guy does retire early, he's probably only shaving 3 years off his cap hit at most - not 6+... kinda defeats the "hard cap"

EDIT - for the record, I love these long term deals and think they are genius from a GM standpoint and perfectly within the rules... but they should still have SOME sort of regulation on it...

Edited by stevkrause

Guest mindfly

It's the same with Hossa, at 42 years old or something, zetterberg&mule at 40, most likely they will end their career a few years earlier than that.

Bettman will find a way to disallow these type of contracts soon :ph34r:

David Clarkson to Detroit for Miller, Ritola and a 3rd round pick, gets them 2 bodies and saves 1.5 on the cap!

Then send Zubrus back to Washington (where he played his best hockey) along with Travis Zajack for John Erskine, Matt Bradley, a high draft pick and a prospect... gets them below the cap, fills out their roster and replenished the farm system a little bit with what they lost to get Ilya... quick, someone get me Lou's number, I need to make a call!!!

:ph34r:

Wow... not a single person is going to call me insane, tell me this is not NHL 2010 by EA, ask what I'm smoking, or explain in essay form why this trade wouldn't happen? I'm dissapointed in you LGW, I expect more of you...

:hehe:

Yea what seeinred said pretty much.

Imagine if he DID play into his 40's...wouldn't want to be paying him almost 6m a year haha.

I'm sure his pay those last 4-5 years is really low, $1M or so, that way he can retire and made most of the money. The cap hit would be bad but I doubt the actual pay is.

Even if the NHL could prove that there were agreements for Kovalchuck to retire before then (which there probably were), there is nothing stopping them from doing so in the CBA.

Not quite true, the CBA specifically prohibits attempts to circumvent the cap. What that would be exactly is unclear but the NHL could easily argue that this is what is being done here.