• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
T-Ruff

Kovalchuk Re-Signs with Devils

Rate this topic

I'm not saying that it will happen, I'm not certain that the NHL will challenge the signing if it goes until he is 44 my point is they can challenge it and might chose to do so. They were not happy with the Hossa and Pronger signings last year and commented on the fact it was the first long term contracts that extended into a player's 40's, this contract (again if true) would extend to 44, is that attempting to circumvent the cap? If not would 45, 46, 47? At some point as the limit keeps being pushed they may decided to challenge a contract as being designed to circumvent the cap.

With a contract like that, if he were to retire before his contract is up does he still get paid until the age the contract lists? Or is the contract completely voided? I know some of you are saying that the contract is void if he retires but does that just mean his salary wouldnt count against the Cap after they retire but the team is still on the hook to pay him until the end of his contract? So basically he can sit on his but at home an just collect the money watching the games from tv? Or is the contract completly voided and the team is no longer obligated to pay him the remainder of the contract if he decides to retire early?

I'm not saying that it will happen, I'm not certain that the NHL will challenge the signing if it goes until he is 44 my point is they can challenge it and might chose to do so. They were not happy with the Hossa and Pronger signings last year and commented on the fact it was the first long term contracts that extended into a player's 40's, this contract (again if true) would extend to 44, is that attempting to circumvent the cap? If not would 45, 46, 47? At some point as the limit keeps being pushed they may decided to challenge a contract as being designed to circumvent the cap.

Certainly. But given that they've let those contracts slide it would have to take quite a push for the brass to step in, e.g. signing Doughty to a 25 year contract or something. Besides, my main reason for replying was to post the video under a thin veil (very thin) of promoting discussion.

Certainly. But given that they've let those contracts slide it would have to take quite a push for the brass to step in, e.g. signing Doughty to a 25 year contract or something. Besides, my main reason for replying was to post the video under a thin veil (very thin) of promoting discussion.

No, I think it is a good discussion and an interesting one to have. I don't know if they will challenge that contract but the longer past 40 it gets it gets exponentially more unlikely to be a reality. At some point they would have to address it, what if a 34 year old player signs a 16 year contract getting about 8-10M the first couple of year and then drops off as rapidly as possible for the rest of the contract? At some point it is too much and has to be challenged, I don't know if this reaches that point but playing until 44 is pretty unlikely for Kovy.

When Seabrook goes RFA next year, Kenny should offer him a 30 year deal at 90 million dollars, 3 million dollar cap hit for one of the better young d-men in the game!

Pay him 8-9 a year for the first 9 years then ride out the deal with minimum contracts :lol:

What?? he could play until he 55! :hehe:

Edited by stevkrause

I get texts from espn.com related to the NHL and they are claiming its 17 years, 150 million. Either that's a typo, espn has awful sources, or that's just a ridiculously DUMB deal.

Honestly, the only way to really close this loophole would be to calculate the average retirement age of NHL players and make that the cutoff age for long-term contracts like this. Of course, calculating something like that is tough, because some players end up playing overseas once they retire, a la Hasek. It may just seem like an arbitrary age, but 40 seems to be the one that makes the most sense. There's absolutely no way Kovalchuk is playing until he's 44 and frankly, I don't even see him playing much past 40, if even that.

Puckdaddy is reporting the deal at 17 years 100mill+

Unconfirmed so far.

That's ridiculous.

Maybe next summer we can sign Semin to a 25 year, $81m contract that pays him 9m million for the first 5 years, 5m for the next 3 then 3m for the next 2 then 1m per season the next 15 and it's only a 3.24m cap hit!

Edited by Z and D for the C

When Seabrook goes RFA next year, Kenny should offer him a 30 year deal at 90 million dollars, 3 million dollar cap hit for one of the better young d-men in the game!

Pay him 8-9 a year for the first 9 years then ride out the deal with minimum contracts :lol:

What?? he could play until he 55! :hehe:

The hell with it give Keith and Doughty each 15 year 45 mill deals. :thumbup::hehe::sly:

I get texts from espn.com related to the NHL and they are claiming its 17 years, 150 million. Either that's a typo, espn has awful sources, or that's just a ridiculously DUMB deal.

That has to be a typo...because that would make absolutely NO sense with the term of the deal. That's still an $8.8M/yr cap hit and the point of these cap-circumventing contracts is to LOWER the yearly cap hit.

The hell with it give Keith and Doughty each 15 year 45 mill deals. :thumbup::hehe::sly:

I like the way you think!!!

But instead, what if we just give them both 30 year, 90 million dollar deals? it's still only 6 mil against the cap for both of them!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Edited by stevkrause

The best is when he turns 38 he can go get a 15 million dollars a year contract in the KHL. rolf

They should make it so if you sign a player past age 40, his cap hit stays on salary until the deal is over.

Only problem with this, players would never get multiyear deals then when they approach 40. That is unfair to players because then they would have to take one year deals where if they get hurt they lose all opportunity to make money.

Honestly, the only way to really close this loophole would be to calculate the average retirement age of NHL players and make that the cutoff age for long-term contracts like this. Of course, calculating something like that is tough, because some players end up playing overseas once they retire, a la Hasek. It may just seem like an arbitrary age, but 40 seems to be the one that makes the most sense. There's absolutely no way Kovalchuk is playing until he's 44 and frankly, I don't even see him playing much past 40, if even that.

Or you could just say that all salaries count fully against the cap for their signed duration regardless of when a player retires.

If it is true, as being reported, I'm not sure how the league can approve such a contract. A 17 year contract would mean he is 45 at completion. It is obvious that they have no intention of paying him until he is 45, clear circumvention of the cap.