• Please log in to reply
157 replies to this topic

#81 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,605 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 03:50 PM

The pressure is on him now; maybe he was thinking with "Little Ilya" when he signed this deal. In a real understatement...from New York Post :

Now, the Devils will have to make room for him under the salary cap, and they may have to move regulars to do it.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#82 Grim

Grim

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,620 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 03:52 PM

quick, lets sign datsyuk to a 30 year $100M extension.... before the league changes the rules! :unsure:

#83 AtomicPunk

AtomicPunk

Nobody rules these streets at night like me...

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,099 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 03:59 PM

Why in the heck did he not take the Thrashers deal for 12 years / 100 million? That's 5 less years at the same money!
I guess he thinks New Jersey (yawn) is closer to a Cup and he is willing to sacrifice ever winning a scoring title or breaking 100 points a year to win one.

His agent needs to be fired, today.
I am a victim of the science age...the underground.

Feed the Swede! - RETIRED 2012

#84 NeverForgetMac25

NeverForgetMac25

Kate: Jr. Wing Nut

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 18,184 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 04:11 PM

Why in the heck did he not take the Thrashers deal for 12 years / 100 million? That's 5 less years at the same money!
I guess he thinks New Jersey (yawn) is closer to a Cup and he is willing to sacrifice ever winning a scoring title or breaking 100 points a year to win one.

His agent needs to be fired, today.

Why should his agent be fired? Kovalchuk's the one who didn't want to be in Atlanta. Don't you think his agent would've been thrilled if he had signed the ATL deal?
It's amazing how much clarity comes when you care more about the Red Wings than any individual player.

"They are the best team in the world. They are a team that can just take over when they want to," Chicago's Patrick Kane said (of the Detroit Red Wings).

#85 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 04:13 PM

This contract isn't bloated... This s*** is Kirstie Alley.
TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

#86 Frozen-Man

Frozen-Man

Thanks for the memories

• Gold Booster
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 04:19 PM

This contract isn't bloated... This s#*t is Kirstie Alley.

Yeah but if it is for the 17 years and the league doesn't contest it that is a $5.88M cap hit - pretty great for Kovy.

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

#87 NeverForgetMac25

NeverForgetMac25

Kate: Jr. Wing Nut

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 18,184 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 04:27 PM

Yeah but if it is for the 17 years and the league doesn't contest it that is a $5.88M cap hit - pretty great for Kovy.

If the league doesn't contest it, all bets are off for every NHL GM going forward. The flood-gates will officially be open to contracts like this.
It's amazing how much clarity comes when you care more about the Red Wings than any individual player.

"They are the best team in the world. They are a team that can just take over when they want to," Chicago's Patrick Kane said (of the Detroit Red Wings).

#88 Frozen-Man

Frozen-Man

Thanks for the memories

• Gold Booster
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 04:33 PM

If the league doesn't contest it, all bets are off for every NHL GM going forward. The flood-gates will officially be open to contracts like this.

Oh yeah I agree. That's what I said a few pages back. If 44 is okay then why not 45 if 45 then why not 46. To me there is very little realistic chance Kovy plays out this contract.

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

#89 Rick Zombos Ghost

Rick Zombos Ghost

the jerk store

• PipPipPip
  • 632 posts

i would assume its heavily front loaded so his cap hit next year may be more like 8-9 million.

#90 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

So they picked his jersey # for the contract length. Somewhat cute. Let's lock up Mule and Homer for 93 and 96 years respectively.

#91 Frozen-Man

Frozen-Man

Thanks for the memories

• Gold Booster
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 04:36 PM

i would assume its heavily front loaded so his cap hit next year may be more like 8-9 million.

The cap hit is the average of the contract over the years regardless of how it is actually paid out. $100M / 17 years = $5.88M cap hit per year for 17 years.

#92 Rick Zombos Ghost

Rick Zombos Ghost

the jerk store

• PipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 04:39 PM

The cap hit is the average of the contract over the years regardless of how it is actually paid out. $100M / 17 years = $5.88M cap hit per year for 17 years.

i dont get why it wouldnt be year to year, but im no capologist....I dont think he should be earning Ovie type money, hell probably prove me wrong though.

#93 mjlegend

mjlegend

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 04:41 PM

So they picked his jersey # for the contract length. Somewhat cute. Let's lock up Mule and Homer for 93 and 96 years respectively.

Jimmy Howard: 35 years, $105 million.

MAKE IT HAPPEN, KENNY!

#94 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 04:45 PM

Jimmy Howard: 35 years, $105 million.

MAKE IT HAPPEN, KENNY!

Bertuzzi: 44 years, $46 million. Discount.

#95 Frozen-Man

Frozen-Man

Thanks for the memories

• Gold Booster
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 04:47 PM

i dont get why it wouldnt be year to year, but im no capologist....I dont think he should be earning Ovie type money, hell probably prove me wrong though.

That is why they give out those long contracts so that they can front load them, get the player a lot of cash up front, then trail off to almost nothing (for a pro hockey player :lol: ) in the final years so that when you average it out for the term of the contract the high and low average out to a reasonable cap hit. Take Z for example, he will make $7.75M next year but his cap hit is only $6.038M because he only makes $1M in 2019-20 and 2020-21.

#96 Jericho613

Jericho613

Give Nothing, Take Everything

• PipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 05:02 PM

Have fun with that contract Devils.

#97 mindfly

mindfly

GRRRRR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 05:23 PM

Ilya's contract is disgusting for the sport and nhl it looks like this

Really? I mean... REALLY? <_<

What's the purpose of the salary cap when you can have contracts like this?

Edited by mindfly, 19 July 2010 - 05:23 PM.

#98 Rick Zombos Ghost

Rick Zombos Ghost

the jerk store

• PipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 05:24 PM

That is why they give out those long contracts so that they can front load them, get the player a lot of cash up front, then trail off to almost nothing (for a pro hockey player :lol: ) in the final years so that when you average it out for the term of the contract the high and low average out to a reasonable cap hit. Take Z for example, he will make $7.75M next year but his cap hit is only $6.038M because he only makes $1M in 2019-20 and 2020-21.

So then the league will probably be stopping this in the future as it is total crap.

#99 EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,731 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 05:29 PM

So then the league will probably be stopping this in the future as it is total crap.

I love how acting like these frontloaded contracts are new...
Victory Honda Forever.

Like my posts? Contact Hossa4life for information regarding my fan club

#100 HockeyTownHouligan

HockeyTownHouligan

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 05:32 PM

so when he's 37 ten years from now thinking of retirement he can go oh yea i still have 7 YEARS left. Cheli watch out you might have someone catching you in the playing forever category. If not him playing forever it'll be his cap hit (much lower than now but still)