157 replies to this topic

#141 Tommy_Like_Wingy

Tommy_Like_Wingy

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 12:48 AM

He won't.

See the post above yours. It's practically unheard of.

I'm not a fan of the cap, but if you're going to have one, have one. Otherwise get rid of it altogether. This is a ridiculous loophole they left open.

I think they should do what the NBA does with the luxury tax. It's one of the few things the NBA does right. It seems fair for everyone.

Edited by Tommy_Like_Wingy, 20 July 2010 - 12:55 AM.

#142 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 12:55 AM

boy this deal is certainly a head scratcher even though Kovalchuk is a supreme talent...the terms of the deal rank right up there with that absurd contract that the Isles gave DiPietro a few years back for 15 yrs I believe

No they don't. Rick DiPietro had just finished his second full season, in 123 games played he had 55 career wins, 47 losses, 7 ties, and 6 shutouts. Dipietro makes $4.5m per season through 2021. Dipietro has played only 13 games over the past two seasons due to injuries. So far he has been paid $18m and only played two seasons of more than 8 games played. That kind of cash would make him the highest paid goalie in the NHL.

Kovalchuk has in 8 seasons, 338 goals, 304 assists, 642 points in 621 games, with one 50 goal season and three more 40-goal seasons. Kovalchuk signed up for $5.88m through 2027.

One of the players was signed entirely on potential, one was signed based entirely on performance.

"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."

#143 Buppy

Buppy

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 01:30 AM

EDIT: BTW, in case anybody wanted to know, 47 players have ever reached 40 years of age, and 6 players have reached 44 years of age.

According to my figures, it's 58 players who have hit 40 (59 if you count Draper, who will be 40 before his contract expires...and with luck we'll still be playing next May 24th. But not counting a handful of players who played fewer than 10 games after 40 [with a re-exception for Brett Hull, who probably would have played a full season at 40 if not for the lockout]). 5 more (Modano, Selanne, Guerin, Lang, Weight) could hit 40 this year if they play somewhere.

Of the 10 potentially active, I'd say only Recchi has a chance of hitting 44. Maybe a couple others could make it to 42.

Of the 54 retired players, 24 played their final season at 40, 13 at 41, 6 at 42, 4 at 43, and 7 at 44 or higher.

#144 Buppy

Buppy

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 01:50 AM

No they don't. Rick DiPietro had just finished his second full season, in 123 games played he had 55 career wins, 47 losses, 7 ties, and 6 shutouts. Dipietro makes $4.5m per season through 2021. Dipietro has played only 13 games over the past two seasons due to injuries. So far he has been paid $18m and only played two seasons of more than 8 games played. That kind of cash would make him the highest paid goalie in the NHL.

Kovalchuk has in 8 seasons, 338 goals, 304 assists, 642 points in 621 games, with one 50 goal season and three more 40-goal seasons. Kovalchuk signed up for $5.88m through 2027.

One of the players was signed entirely on potential, one was signed based entirely on performance.

When your takling about a contract that extends 8-10 years after players normally start to decline, you're banking heavily on potential.

Not saying it's as mind-boggling as DiPietro's deal. That one just can't be fathomed. Everyone knows why this deal was made.

#145 RinkRat82

RinkRat82

Jr. Prospect

• 23 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 10:56 AM

Hey folks new here long time Wings fan just moved to Ky and have no hockey buddies here lol .

This deal is Bs. there is no point in having a cap at all if you can sign players to deals like this I agree .

#146 xtrememachine1

xtrememachine1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 11:51 AM

I know I'm in the minority, but I like deals like this. It keeps superstars from jumping around the league and it keeps the cap hit low so they can afford other players. Is it cheating? Its shady/ingenious but its not cheating. Their isn't a rule against that type of contract, so its all good. I felt pretty good when I saw Z sign that huge deal last year and knew he was going to be with the Wings for a long time, plus his cap hit won't cripple us and we'll remain competitive. The Penguins are getting killed right now because they have two $8.7 players on their team. As a result, Matt Cooke is their 5th best forward now.

If you want to have a cap, that's all fine and good, but the cost of players is rising faster than the salary cap. If teams didn't make these huge mega deals like the Kovalchuk one, you would eventually have a situation where every team in the league would consist of one or two stars and a bunch of AHLers or a team full of mediocre players.

#147 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,176 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 12:16 PM

I know I'm in the minority, but I like deals like this. It keeps superstars from jumping around the league and it keeps the cap hit low so they can afford other players. Is it cheating? Its shady/ingenious but its not cheating. Their isn't a rule against that type of contract, so its all good. I felt pretty good when I saw Z sign that huge deal last year and knew he was going to be with the Wings for a long time, plus his cap hit won't cripple us and we'll remain competitive. The Penguins are getting killed right now because they have two $8.7 players on their team. As a result, Matt Cooke is their 5th best forward now.

If you want to have a cap, that's all fine and good, but the cost of players is rising faster than the salary cap. If teams didn't make these huge mega deals like the Kovalchuk one, you would eventually have a situation where every team in the league would consist of one or two stars and a bunch of AHLers or a team full of mediocre players.

big difference though is Z's contract expires before he can collect an old age pension. what player like kovalchuk plays past the age of 40? if the NHL investigated pronger's contract, this one should be on the table in front of the board pretty soon. this deal can't be legit to the NHL brass.

next we're gonna see kessel signed until the age of 50 by burke...

Free darkmanx!

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

#148 Kira

Kira

"I hope you're not from KGB"

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,556 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 12:44 PM

I'm a little skeptical about this contract. Yeah, it's not that big of a hit, but the length of it makes me wonder.
Posted Image

#149 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,600 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 12:59 PM

Hey folks new here long time Wings fan just moved to Ky and have no hockey buddies here lol .

This deal is Bs. there is no point in having a cap at all if you can sign players to deals like this I agree .

Welcome aboard.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#150 _Kabrok_

_Kabrok_

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 56 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 01:19 PM

Why doesn't every team simply signed all their under-35 players to reasonably priced, 20 year contracts and we can do away with free agency altogether. That way, no team has to worry about keeping their team together and we can suck all the off-season drama out of hockey.

Um, because then if they don't perform well you're stuck with them for their entire career.

#151 sibiriak

sibiriak

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 08:35 PM

TSN reports that the league just disallowed Kovy's contract. link

#152 brett

brett

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,974 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 09:23 PM

NJ looks to be pretty stacked this season with arnott kovy volchenkov tallinder and hedberg.

doesnt really mean much tho we were stacked when we had hossa...

#153 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 09:26 PM

NJ looks to be pretty stacked this season with arnott kovy volchenkov tallinder and hedberg.

doesnt really mean much tho we were stacked when we had hossa...

Might not have Kovy... We shall see.
TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

#154 Yzerman191

Yzerman191

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,245 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 09:50 PM

Interesting turn of events... Luongo is signed until he's 43, Hossa until he's 42, Zetterberg and Franzen until they're 40, etc. They either need to make some sort of rule against it or allow it, because the line seems pretty clouded to me.

#155 Original-Six

Original-Six

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 09:51 PM

Interesting turn of events... Luongo is signed until he's 43, Hossa until he's 42, Zetterberg and Franzen until they're 40, etc. They either need to make some sort of rule against it or allow it, because the line seems pretty clouded to me.

The rule appears to be 44 lol

#156 crotty99

crotty99

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 10:34 PM

So do you guys think this is going to change where kovy ends up? I dont think nj will want the cap hit to be much bigger than it was and kovalchuck won't want less money. Maybe it's back to Atlanta for him? (unlikely) new York islanders or even the KHL.

Posted Image

Thanks TeeMan!

#157 Original-Six

Original-Six

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 11:32 PM

The saga continues.....

#158 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 11:55 PM

Well, why doesn't he just go to the KHL? I'm sure some team over there is willing to pay out the ass for him.