• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#1 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,689 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 03:19 PM

Well its another boring summer day with little going on in free agency,bleh.I've been going through binder after binder of hockey cards and I was wondering if there are any hockey card junkies on here?
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#2 DEVILSWATERBOY

DEVILSWATERBOY

DEVILSWATERBOY

• PipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 03:22 PM

Well its another boring summer day with little going on in free agency,bleh.I've been going through binder after binder of hockey cards and I was wondering if there are any hockey card junkies on here?

At one time I was, but the exwife took them in the divorce :ranting:

#3 HockeyTownHouligan

HockeyTownHouligan

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 03:24 PM

At one time I was, but the exwife took them in the divorce :ranting:

Thats pretty cold

#4 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,689 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 03:27 PM

Damn...that's harsh.why would she take them?:o

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#5 Dano33

Dano33

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 920 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 05:23 PM

I used to be huge into this when I was a kid. I have shoe boxes full of hockey cards, but I probably haven't bought a pack in 10 years. For the longest time I thought I was rich (didn't know any better then) because I have Wayne Gretzky's and Mario Lemieux's rookie card, but it turns out they were part of some anniversary pack so you could buy them all together (not the real thing). So my Gretzky RC is worth about $5 instead of $900 like I originally thought.

Edited by Dano33, 20 July 2010 - 05:24 PM.

"I can't believe I shook this guy's friggen hand." -Dino Ciccarelli

"Don't think, just play." -Curtis Granderson, always a Tiger

#6 Tommy_Like_Wingy

Tommy_Like_Wingy

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 05:25 PM

Damn...that's harsh.why would she take them?:o

Probably to sell them out of spite.

#7 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,689 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 05:36 PM

I've got binders piling up.I buy a box or two here and there.I find myself rooting for the guys that I get rookie cards of.My Jaroslav Halak rookie card is looking pretty good right now :thumbup: I picked up an Upper Deck set from like 1991 or 1992 for $5 at this little card shop outside of Cleveland recently.Ended up with rookie cards for Modano,Brind'Amour,and Derian Hatcher.Just a ton of valuable cards for $5.obviously the guy just wanted to get rid of them.Just never know what you're gonna find.

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#8 jollymania

jollymania

Heavy Hitter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 05:40 PM

I have a bunch of cards still from when i was young and collected them, i did buy a pack a few years ago and got a Pavel Datsyuk jersey card.
"I assure you the hits along the boards he(Aaron Downey) constantly threw SEVERAL TIMES EVERY SHIFT were far more damaging hits that what Kronwall throws."
- uk_redwing
HockeyArchive Twitter

#9 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,689 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 05:43 PM

Right before Zetterberg broke in the league,I remember buying a few packs at another little store and ended up getting his RC.I've got a couple different Zetterberg RCs.

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#10 SuperCalaFilppulastic!

SuperCalaFilppulastic!

Flippin' Awesome

• PipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 05:45 PM

I used to be a huge card junkie, quit for 10 years, and came back in the last year collecting autographed cards. Here's my small, but growing, Wings collection...

http://s889.photobuc...mview=slideshow

Check out my Wings autographed card collection here!

#11 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,620 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 05:49 PM

I once had a stack of hockey cards. I came across a Claude Lemieux Avs card. I tore it the hell up.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#12 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,689 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 05:51 PM

Ahh I remember tearing up Lemieux and Forsberg cards left and right

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#13 Slave

Slave

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 470 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 05:56 PM

i only ever bought cards 1 year but i was lucky, it was the year with the rookie for belfour, fedorov, lidstrom, forsberg, hasek, and my favorite gino odjick :), now if i want a card i just get them individually at card stores, got 2 different zetterberg rookies...oh and i for some reason always get mcdonalds cards trying to the wings players

#14 Glubki

Glubki

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 569 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 06:15 PM

I started collecting in the late 80's and continued until the mid 90's. I gave them all to my little cousin who is 17 years younger than me when he started playing pee wee hockey. I can remember page after page of Jagr, Forsberg, Lidstrom and Federov rookie cards. Not sure what has happened to them as he is stationed overseas now and I haven't seen him in 8-10 years but I hope he appreciates them.
If you have an online nemesis you are spending too much time online....

#15 Glubki

Glubki

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 569 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 06:15 PM

oops - doubled up....

Edited by Glubki, 20 July 2010 - 06:15 PM.

If you have an online nemesis you are spending too much time online....

#16 Detroit40oz

Detroit40oz

Rookie

• Pip
  • 107 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 06:52 PM

I used to be a huge card junkie, quit for 10 years, and came back in the last year collecting autographed cards. Here's my small, but growing, Wings collection...

http://s889.photobuc...mview=slideshow

thats an awesome collection of signed inserts! :thumbup:

I've got a pretty decent collection of hockey cards. I started collecting them when I was 5 and didnt really care much about them at the time. I thought the ninja turtles cards I had were way cooler.

by the time I was 10 in 1995 I was collecting with the fury.

spending all my money on them, and asking strictly for hockey cards and nintendo games for bday/xmas.

this went on probably til i was 15. by then, there were just was too many sets to keep up, so i started just collecting specific team sets, players i liked, and only buying an occasional pack of cards.

sometimes i'll still buy a box of something 10+ years old just because it might be something i didnt get back then, and is now priced ridiculously less than it used to be.

I've bought recent wings team sets and some single cards over the last few seasons, but i've probably alltogether bought maybe 5-10 packs of cards of the current season at the time.

i put my collecting efforts more into autographed memorabilia type things now too.

i'd probably be more into collecting cards if there were still card shows worth going to though. i hit up the gibraltar trade center shows in mount clemens and taylor from time to time, but that place has been on a decline for a few years now. they rarely have a decent player signing, and without signings to draw a crowd, dealers quit taking the time to set up there for a weekend because they could probably just sell more and work less via ebay.

and as for ebay, i do buy single cards and team sets quite often via ebay, but usually only if the seller has a few things i'd be interested in so i can get combined shipping. paying 3 dollars to have a single 5 dollar card shipped from canada is weaksauce.

my top card though is probably my yzerman opeechee rookie graded 9.0 by BGS, which was an ebay score.

copped for just under 100 bucks, which is a really good price for a 9.0.

I have never and probably never will pay more for a single card ever again, haha.

#17 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,689 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 07:12 PM

I bought a few packs that were a couple years old a while ago and got a Jonathan Toews rookie card.With him winning the Cup and the Conn Smythe trophy,I can't even imagine how much its worth.I have cards as old as the 80's,and I still collect to this day.You get rookie cards of guys you've never heard of at the time,and you don't usually value it very much.Then a year later,you go back and you can't believe you have the guy's rookie card.Modano,Brind'Amour to Jonathan Toews,Henrik Zetterberg,Bobby Ryan,Dustin Byfuglien,Patrick Kane,Shea Weber,Milan Lucic..the list just goes on and on.

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#18 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,476 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 08:34 PM

I collected cards during the 1990-91 and 1991-92 years. I have some cards from other years (Gretzky rookie, Messier rookie, Messier 2nd year autographed, etc.), but packs of cards I bought were those years. I have several copies of rookies like Fedorov, Belfour and Forsberg. I must have 15+ Forsberg cards, there seemed to be a lot more of those than Fedorov or Belfour.

Problem is, none of those cards are really worth anything at all, too many produced.

#19 SweWings

SweWings

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,917 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 08:37 PM

Oh I used to collect them properly. Had a really nice Fedorov collection - probably at least 50ish different ones. Actually they should still be around. I have no idea where anymore though. Should probably try to find them.

#20 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,476 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 08:41 PM

my top card though is probably my yzerman opeechee rookie graded 9.0 by BGS, which was an ebay score.

copped for just under 100 bucks, which is a really good price for a 9.0.

IS that really a good deal? I thought an Yzerman rookie card in mint condition was quoted at around $80-100 and you'd normally be able to buy for 50% of the quoted price.