• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Hockey Card Collectors

Rate this topic

Well its another boring summer day with little going on in free agency,bleh.I've been going through binder after binder of hockey cards and I was wondering if there are any hockey card junkies on here?

At one time I was, but the exwife took them in the divorce :ranting:

I used to be huge into this when I was a kid. I have shoe boxes full of hockey cards, but I probably haven't bought a pack in 10 years. For the longest time I thought I was rich (didn't know any better then) because I have Wayne Gretzky's and Mario Lemieux's rookie card, but it turns out they were part of some anniversary pack so you could buy them all together (not the real thing). So my Gretzky RC is worth about $5 instead of $900 like I originally thought.

Edited by Dano33

I've got binders piling up.I buy a box or two here and there.I find myself rooting for the guys that I get rookie cards of.My Jaroslav Halak rookie card is looking pretty good right now :thumbup: I picked up an Upper Deck set from like 1991 or 1992 for $5 at this little card shop outside of Cleveland recently.Ended up with rookie cards for Modano,Brind'Amour,and Derian Hatcher.Just a ton of valuable cards for $5.obviously the guy just wanted to get rid of them.Just never know what you're gonna find.

i only ever bought cards 1 year but i was lucky, it was the year with the rookie for belfour, fedorov, lidstrom, forsberg, hasek, and my favorite gino odjick :), now if i want a card i just get them individually at card stores, got 2 different zetterberg rookies...oh and i for some reason always get mcdonalds cards trying to the wings players

I started collecting in the late 80's and continued until the mid 90's. I gave them all to my little cousin who is 17 years younger than me when he started playing pee wee hockey. I can remember page after page of Jagr, Forsberg, Lidstrom and Federov rookie cards. Not sure what has happened to them as he is stationed overseas now and I haven't seen him in 8-10 years but I hope he appreciates them.

I used to be a huge card junkie, quit for 10 years, and came back in the last year collecting autographed cards. Here's my small, but growing, Wings collection...

http://s889.photobuc...mview=slideshow

thats an awesome collection of signed inserts! :thumbup:

I've got a pretty decent collection of hockey cards. I started collecting them when I was 5 and didnt really care much about them at the time. I thought the ninja turtles cards I had were way cooler.

by the time I was 10 in 1995 I was collecting with the fury.

spending all my money on them, and asking strictly for hockey cards and nintendo games for bday/xmas.

this went on probably til i was 15. by then, there were just was too many sets to keep up, so i started just collecting specific team sets, players i liked, and only buying an occasional pack of cards.

sometimes i'll still buy a box of something 10+ years old just because it might be something i didnt get back then, and is now priced ridiculously less than it used to be.

I've bought recent wings team sets and some single cards over the last few seasons, but i've probably alltogether bought maybe 5-10 packs of cards of the current season at the time.

i put my collecting efforts more into autographed memorabilia type things now too.

i'd probably be more into collecting cards if there were still card shows worth going to though. i hit up the gibraltar trade center shows in mount clemens and taylor from time to time, but that place has been on a decline for a few years now. they rarely have a decent player signing, and without signings to draw a crowd, dealers quit taking the time to set up there for a weekend because they could probably just sell more and work less via ebay.

and as for ebay, i do buy single cards and team sets quite often via ebay, but usually only if the seller has a few things i'd be interested in so i can get combined shipping. paying 3 dollars to have a single 5 dollar card shipped from canada is weaksauce.

my top card though is probably my yzerman opeechee rookie graded 9.0 by BGS, which was an ebay score.

copped for just under 100 bucks, which is a really good price for a 9.0.

I have never and probably never will pay more for a single card ever again, haha.

I bought a few packs that were a couple years old a while ago and got a Jonathan Toews rookie card.With him winning the Cup and the Conn Smythe trophy,I can't even imagine how much its worth.I have cards as old as the 80's,and I still collect to this day.You get rookie cards of guys you've never heard of at the time,and you don't usually value it very much.Then a year later,you go back and you can't believe you have the guy's rookie card.Modano,Brind'Amour to Jonathan Toews,Henrik Zetterberg,Bobby Ryan,Dustin Byfuglien,Patrick Kane,Shea Weber,Milan Lucic..the list just goes on and on.

I collected cards during the 1990-91 and 1991-92 years. I have some cards from other years (Gretzky rookie, Messier rookie, Messier 2nd year autographed, etc.), but packs of cards I bought were those years. I have several copies of rookies like Fedorov, Belfour and Forsberg. I must have 15+ Forsberg cards, there seemed to be a lot more of those than Fedorov or Belfour.

Problem is, none of those cards are really worth anything at all, too many produced.

Oh I used to collect them properly. Had a really nice Fedorov collection - probably at least 50ish different ones. Actually they should still be around. I have no idea where anymore though. Should probably try to find them.

my top card though is probably my yzerman opeechee rookie graded 9.0 by BGS, which was an ebay score.

IS that really a good deal? I thought an Yzerman rookie card in mint condition was quoted at around $80-100 and you'd normally be able to buy for 50% of the quoted price.

thats an awesome collection of signed inserts! :thumbup:

I've got a pretty decent collection of hockey cards. I started collecting them when I was 5 and didnt really care much about them at the time. I thought the ninja turtles cards I had were way cooler.

by the time I was 10 in 1995 I was collecting with the fury.

spending all my money on them, and asking strictly for hockey cards and nintendo games for bday/xmas.

this went on probably til i was 15. by then, there were just was too many sets to keep up, so i started just collecting specific team sets, players i liked, and only buying an occasional pack of cards.

sometimes i'll still buy a box of something 10+ years old just because it might be something i didnt get back then, and is now priced ridiculously less than it used to be.

I've bought recent wings team sets and some single cards over the last few seasons, but i've probably alltogether bought maybe 5-10 packs of cards of the current season at the time.

i put my collecting efforts more into autographed memorabilia type things now too.

i'd probably be more into collecting cards if there were still card shows worth going to though. i hit up the gibraltar trade center shows in mount clemens and taylor from time to time, but that place has been on a decline for a few years now. they rarely have a decent player signing, and without signings to draw a crowd, dealers quit taking the time to set up there for a weekend because they could probably just sell more and work less via ebay.

and as for ebay, i do buy single cards and team sets quite often via ebay, but usually only if the seller has a few things i'd be interested in so i can get combined shipping. paying 3 dollars to have a single 5 dollar card shipped from canada is weaksauce.

I have never and probably never will pay more for a single card ever again, haha.

Awesome user picture! I still have a poster of that NHL2K game hung up in my room from 10 years ago when they gave them out as a promotion at some roller hockey festival by Hockeytown Authentics.

IS that really a good deal? I thought an Yzerman rookie card in mint condition was quoted at around $80-100 and you'd normally be able to buy for 50% of the quoted price.

actually under 100 for a professionally graded yzerman o pee chee rookie is a good price for sure. ...if its a card with a 9.0 grade.

heres an example of a completed auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/1984-85-Steve-Yzerman-Rookie-RC-OPC-O-Pee-Chee-BGS-9-/190401045707?cmd=ViewItem&pt=US_Hockey_Trading_Cards&hash=item2c54c964cb

a 9.0 is almost perfect, and the difference between that and a 10 aren't much, but an yzerman rookie graded 10 could easily go for a few hundred. ive never seen one personally, but ive seen a 9.5. a 10 is the best it can get, and for a card thats 26 years old, being completely 100% perfect is a rarity. even if it was immediately put in a card sleeve pulled fresh from a pack in 1984, its centering and the cut could be make it a 7.

cosmetically and centering wise, the difference between a card that receives a grade of 8.0 and 9.0 are somewhat small, and most people are fine with having an yzerman rookie that just looks good enough to display. some probably wouldnt care if its a topps or an o pee chee. i normally wouldnt care myself. im a pretty broke dude, and i collect for the fun of it and i like to occasionally look through binders and boxes of cards remembering old days.

an yzerman o pee chee however was something i'd splurge cash to the best of my ability to get the best possible condition one i can.

i've got a few ungraded topp's yzerman rc's and 3 ungraded o pee chee's in great condition. probably 8-8.5's if graded... those OPC's are cards that would currently fetch between 40-50 if i tried selling them (half book value like you said)

but graded cards are a whole different game.

also a topps yzerman rookie in great shape could probably be had for 20 bucks on ebay.

Awesome user picture! I still have a poster of that NHL2K game hung up in my room from 10 years ago when they gave them out as a promotion at some roller hockey festival by Hockeytown Authentics.

thanks!

nhl2k is definitely a key game.

I probably put more time into that than any other nhl game.

if you've never played it and just had that poster to look at for years, its worth buying a used dreamcast and a copy of it.

you could snag both for probably less than 40 bucks ;].