• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Hockey Card Collectors

Rate this topic

Guest mindfly

I've got collection, used to have a massive one, now only one folder or whatever you call em, but lot's of classic players, here's two of 4 red wing pages

dscn1898.jpg

s62jbb.jpg

these are my most recent ebay pick ups, i havent bought anything new in the last few months though.

i picked up that jimmy howard griffins auto for a ridiculously low price, like $3.00 including shipping. i got it back in november before he broke out into full time fury, so im guessing i probably wouldnt be able to pick it up for as low as i did then ;]. its not an NHL card though so i wouldnt consider it a rookie, its from a 2007 AHL set.

and the ciccarelli jersey cards were awesome deals aswell. i got the north stars one for 2 or 3 dollars and the capitals one for around 5 bucks, # 33/99

I have the worst hockey card collecting story ever. Me and friend collected cards back when we were young about 1978-1979ish and only for one year. We were insane and bought them at every opportunity. We would not only buy packs, but rather entire boxes. I think we kept buying because we thought we didnt have the team picture card for the four expansion teams from the WHA. Only later did we realize the four teams were on the same card with just their logos and not the team picture itself, but because of this misunderstanding we had collected the entire league set of cards at least 14 times over. You might have heard of a player who was a rookie that year by the name of Wayne Gretzky. So at one time I had at least 14 Gretzky rookies and you might by now know where this story is heading.

Fast forward about 8 years or so 1987ish. I knew in my head the Gretzky cards were of some value even at that point. Never bothered to value them in a guide or anything so im not sure what I had in value even at that point. I knew a kid in high school who was a big hockey fan at that time and specifically a fan of Gretz so I gave him a few (probably 2 or 3 of the cards). I gave a couple more to a another friend and one each to 2 nephews totalling about 6 cards given away. The story only gets better. I separated the Gretzky cards out from the main gigantic box of cards that I had amassed (I had kept all of the cards as my friend who i collected them with had no interest after that first year). I kept the remaining Gretzky rooks in my bedroom closet on shelf by themselves. They remained there until my mom decided to clean my closet out a couple of years later as I had moved into a bigger room in the house. She had thought that they were just some odd cards that were of no importance so in the garbage they went. It wasn't until a few years later that I realized that they had been tossed and what they might have been worth. I had got the itch to collect again when Federov was a rookie and the card business exploded around that same time. I finally picked up a Beckett guide and saw the Gretz rooks going for like 300 to 500 at the time in 1991. Granted, none of the cards were mint so it would not have been a huge lump of cash but it might have bought me good used car at that time.

A slight silver lining to the story. Because I had given 2 to another friend as stated above, he was kind enough to give one back a few years later.

I have some rare ones of players I hate (Roy,Forsberg,etc.) and I keep them,though its hard.I bought an old tin of cards from like 2005 or 2006 and,I was wondering if anyone remembers Luc Bourdon?A couple years back,he got in a fatal motorcycle accident in Canada.He had a bright career ahead of him (RIP Luc).Anyways in this old tin I got a Luc Bourdon rookie card and I have no idea how much its worth?Anyone have an idea?

I've got the entire 1990-1991 UD series which includes:

Jagr RC

Rob Blake RC

Modano RC

Brind'Amour RC

And NHL Award cards with the winner from that year:

Art Ross-Wayne Gretzky

Hart-Mark Messier

Norris-Bourque

Vezina-Roy

Lady Byng-Brett Hull

Calder-Makarov

Jennings-Moog

Conn Smythe-Ranford

Selke-Rick Meagher

I haven't looked up how much any of these are worth yet.Anyone have an idea?

Don't want to say for sure, but I do know a few years ago they were saying basically anything from the 90s in sports cards (the entire period I collected) was incredibly devalued just because there were so many cards printed of every set, while now the good cards are all in limited sets.

Yeah that's what people have been saying and I've noticed that in the values of the cards from the '90s that I have looked up.Wicked overproduction I guess.The Modano RC is worth a few bucks right now,and you figure its value will go up once he retires and is inducted into the HHOF.Same with Sakic's cards.Once he gets inducted,the value of his cards will increase.

Thanks!Those are some of my fav....have lot more....;)i'm collecting hockey cards about 20 years.....trade and buy....ebay,hockey collector forums and buy packs stores...that Roy au/gu is my best pull...pack was 1.99$ and Roy bv500$ !!:)

here Finland dont have many card stores so internet is my tool...

What a collection!! I only have a few cards of McCarty,Probert,and Kocur :( Where exactly did you purchase the autographed ones?Did you get them all in packs you bought or did you go around and find specific ones online or in a local card shop?

Edited by hyyge

Wow!nice man.People are nuts for the Patrick Roy cards!I've got a ton of his oldies from the early '90s.If you hit the right markets,there's good card stores here in the States.I'll buy packs here and there,then once in a blue moon i'll buy a tin.Doesn't matter what year,I enjoy collecting them all :thumbup:

How much for Roy rooks as I beleive I got one hangin around.

I have a pretty big collection of cards that I've yet to go through. I know when I was little I was given an Eric Lindros rookie card, which now... well the worth isn't exactly there anymore. I've also got a Derek Jeter rookie card around somewhere that was worth around $120 last time I checked. I should probably find it.

An older cousin of mine gave me about 3-4 binders of Red Wings cards, one of which was full of Stevie Y cards. Once again, I should probably check them out.

How much for Roy rooks as I beleive I got one hangin around.

Book value has it between 60-150 if its OPC. Checking ebay's completed listings it seems to be very wide open anywhere between 10-70 without being graded. Some have awful centering yet still went for more then the one that looks much better.

Edited by TheRedWingsWay

I still collect though I've toned down the cards and have been buying more game used items. I do have a few Yzerman certified auto's from SP authentic if anyone is interested. Rather sell them to someone on here than ebay. You can e-mail me if you are interested wingnut888@aol.com

hell yea i've been collecting them my whole life, i still remember my brother taking me to the store just to get a pack, then me and him would just go through all of ours and trade some haha

I am always on this site but rarely post...I consider myself a fairly good collector...I have over 350 different Yzerman cards including his RC. My collection would be bigger but money has been hard to come by...