75 replies to this topic

#21 weGotTheCup89

weGotTheCup89

This is for the Wings fans!

• PipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 08:47 PM

thats an awesome collection of signed inserts! :thumbup:

I've got a pretty decent collection of hockey cards. I started collecting them when I was 5 and didnt really care much about them at the time. I thought the ninja turtles cards I had were way cooler.

by the time I was 10 in 1995 I was collecting with the fury.

spending all my money on them, and asking strictly for hockey cards and nintendo games for bday/xmas.

this went on probably til i was 15. by then, there were just was too many sets to keep up, so i started just collecting specific team sets, players i liked, and only buying an occasional pack of cards.

sometimes i'll still buy a box of something 10+ years old just because it might be something i didnt get back then, and is now priced ridiculously less than it used to be.

I've bought recent wings team sets and some single cards over the last few seasons, but i've probably alltogether bought maybe 5-10 packs of cards of the current season at the time.

i put my collecting efforts more into autographed memorabilia type things now too.

i'd probably be more into collecting cards if there were still card shows worth going to though. i hit up the gibraltar trade center shows in mount clemens and taylor from time to time, but that place has been on a decline for a few years now. they rarely have a decent player signing, and without signings to draw a crowd, dealers quit taking the time to set up there for a weekend because they could probably just sell more and work less via ebay.

and as for ebay, i do buy single cards and team sets quite often via ebay, but usually only if the seller has a few things i'd be interested in so i can get combined shipping. paying 3 dollars to have a single 5 dollar card shipped from canada is weaksauce.

my top card though is probably my yzerman opeechee rookie graded 9.0 by BGS, which was an ebay score.

copped for just under 100 bucks, which is a really good price for a 9.0.

I have never and probably never will pay more for a single card ever again, haha.

Awesome user picture! I still have a poster of that NHL2K game hung up in my room from 10 years ago when they gave them out as a promotion at some roller hockey festival by Hockeytown Authentics.
Q: Of all the individual trophies you have not won, which one would you most like to win?
Datsyuk: I have so many of them that I haven't won. I think I would most like to win a trophy to the best goaltending duo.

#22 Detroit40oz

Detroit40oz

Rookie

• Pip
  • 107 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 09:34 PM

IS that really a good deal? I thought an Yzerman rookie card in mint condition was quoted at around $80-100 and you'd normally be able to buy for 50% of the quoted price.

actually under 100 for a professionally graded yzerman o pee chee rookie is a good price for sure. ...if its a card with a 9.0 grade.

heres an example of a completed auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/...=item2c54c964cb

a 9.0 is almost perfect, and the difference between that and a 10 aren't much, but an yzerman rookie graded 10 could easily go for a few hundred. ive never seen one personally, but ive seen a 9.5. a 10 is the best it can get, and for a card thats 26 years old, being completely 100% perfect is a rarity. even if it was immediately put in a card sleeve pulled fresh from a pack in 1984, its centering and the cut could be make it a 7.

cosmetically and centering wise, the difference between a card that receives a grade of 8.0 and 9.0 are somewhat small, and most people are fine with having an yzerman rookie that just looks good enough to display. some probably wouldnt care if its a topps or an o pee chee. i normally wouldnt care myself. im a pretty broke dude, and i collect for the fun of it and i like to occasionally look through binders and boxes of cards remembering old days.

an yzerman o pee chee however was something i'd splurge cash to the best of my ability to get the best possible condition one i can.

i've got a few ungraded topp's yzerman rc's and 3 ungraded o pee chee's in great condition. probably 8-8.5's if graded... those OPC's are cards that would currently fetch between 40-50 if i tried selling them (half book value like you said)

but graded cards are a whole different game.

also a topps yzerman rookie in great shape could probably be had for 20 bucks on ebay.

#23 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,295 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 09:37 PM

I used to in the early 90's, but not since then.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#24 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,994 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 09:39 PM

I have some from the '70's...Bobby Orr and Phil Esposito, etc.

#25 Detroit40oz

Detroit40oz

Rookie

• Pip
  • 107 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 09:47 PM

Awesome user picture! I still have a poster of that NHL2K game hung up in my room from 10 years ago when they gave them out as a promotion at some roller hockey festival by Hockeytown Authentics.

thanks!

nhl2k is definitely a key game.

I probably put more time into that than any other nhl game.

if you've never played it and just had that poster to look at for years, its worth buying a used dreamcast and a copy of it.

you could snag both for probably less than 40 bucks ;].

#26 moefolds

moefolds

Jr. Prospect

• 23 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 09:56 PM

I got back into card collecting 3 years ago, when I found my dads complete sets of 68-69 and 69-70 topps. I love it now. I'm on a few of the trading forums and buy boxes every once in a while. It would be great to trade with some letsgowings.com people. Heres my out of date bucket.

http://s212.photobuc...folds/allalbums

#27 soultrain

soultrain

hairdresser of the sharts

• Bronze Booster
  • 805 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 10:13 PM

i don't call it a collection at this point...its more like stockpiling....actually it is almost hording. check it

#28 hgimn

hgimn

Jr. Prospect

• 26 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 10:30 PM

I collect some stuff.I don't do sets,but I'll buy some packs and some singles from ebay or from a local card shop.I do however have a ton of Osgood cards(probably over 2,500 since I buy a few lots).I'm on the mission to get one of every Ozzie card made(I'm about 85% there).

#29 Detroit40oz

Detroit40oz

Rookie

• Pip
  • 107 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 10:47 PM

i dig peeping collection pics :thumbup:

ive never took scans or pics of my actual card collection, but i did start taking pics awhile back of the signed stuff. it got really tedious though so i stopped half way.

i'll probably get around to it sooner or later though just to sort of digitally organize s***, haha.

heres pics of a large portion of my wings/nhl player auto's though, which does include some cards to make it relevant to this tread.

its on myspace, but it was easier at the time to upload there than photobucket. i dont really go on my profile anymore though.

http://www.myspace.c...ections/3214909

some of the card pics are be a player auto's. i used to buy packs of those all the time when i was a kid. more often than not it would be some s***ty common card though, but it was always fun though.

now pretty much every set these days has an autographed insert set, which is still very awesome.

i need to get my grip on some wings auto/jersey combos.

#30 mmorland

mmorland

SRD Writer, Broadcaster

• PipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 10:54 PM

I have a ton of hockey cards I'd like to sell if anyone is looking
"I can't believe I shook this guys frickin' hand. We lost and I'm pissed off. But to see Kris Draper's face makes me sick. I didn't see his face until after the game, but his face is turned sideways. If the league doesn't do something about that ... I mean that's ridiculous. He could have broken his fricken neck."

-Dino Ciccarelli

#31 moefolds

moefolds

Jr. Prospect

• 23 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 10:55 PM

I have a ton of hockey cards I'd like to sell if anyone is looking

what ya got?

#32 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,552 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 12:22 AM

I'm starting to get into the autographed memorabilia collecting,I've got a few signed items,but not much yet.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#33 shoe

shoe

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 11:06 AM

Cards sure have come along way from the standard opee chee/tops to the boom in the early 90s when everyone was trying to up the other company with foil emblems and rookie sub sets ect. Now I hear they have little chunks of game worn jerseys in the cards? I have a stack of about six 2.5" binders.

I just bought packs, Never completed a set except the 1st opee chee premier had to buy Roenicks card from a store to finish the set. Lots of sets that were close though. No idea what I'll do with them all... wait for the next boom? Or pass them on when I have my own kids? I certainly think they are more keepsakes then something to sell though.

Edited by shoe, 21 July 2010 - 11:06 AM.

#34 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,552 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 01:52 PM

Yeah there's cards with parts of a player's jersey that was worn in a game.I've got a few of them.I've got a Fedotenko back when he was with Tampa Bay,Kovalev when he was a Canadien,and Ohlund from his Canucks days.I've got plenty others,but that's all I can think of for now.

Anyone selling any cards on ebay or something?

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#35 Spinner

Spinner

4th line spectator

• PipPipPip
  • 512 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 02:46 PM

I have a few thousand that I've collected here and there over the past 20 years....I should probably check them. On a related note, I used to collect baseball cards when I was a kid "the 60's" I had like 3 grocery bags full and my dad threw them away one day while I was in the Navy to make room in his garage. We're talking Mickey Mantle, Al Kaline and on and on. I was pretty pissed at my dad. Well since then, over the past few years, my mom told me she felt bad about the whole ordeal and now searches garage sales and buys whatever cards they have whether baseball, football, hockey or what ever. Shes actually found some real keepers. She brought me a shoebox full of baseball cards she got for $1 and it had a Nolan Ryan rookie card in it. It's kind of inspired me to back into collecting a little more seriously.
He found the key to success 4 hours before he found the hole in his pocket.

#36 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,552 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 07:26 PM

I used to collect baseball here and there,I don't anymore.But my dad gave me some from when he collected and recently I found a Roberto Clemente card that's going for like $160 on ebay.

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#37 RememberStevieY

RememberStevieY

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 07:41 PM

Its sad the card collection business is dying, back in the 80's and 90's it was a booming business. Now you have brand new inserts worth more than some really old cards. I remember I bought a pack of cards and got a Peyton Manning insert worth $150.00 back in 2000. I have a very large collection that is sittin around collecting dust . I hope one day the card collection business will become what it once was.

Edited by RememberStevieY, 21 July 2010 - 07:42 PM.

The Order of the Paradox

The most regular season wins, post season wins, division titles, conference titles and 4 Stanley Cups in a little over a decade spells d-y-n-a-s-t-y;

#38 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,552 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 07:44 PM

I know in Ohio,the demand for hockey cards is next to nothing.Its sad.I go out there once in a while to be with family and the hockey card business is almost non-existent.

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#39 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,113 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 08:32 PM

I never collected much but a few years ago I bought a pack of Private Stocks and got a Stanislav Chistov RC. It was right after the ducks made their run to the cup and he had a great playoff. It was worth 150 back then, no idea what it would be now though

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#40 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,552 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 08:39 PM

I've got a few Chistov RCs too.Its probably not worth much now that his NHL career never panned out.

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien