• Please log in to reply
223 replies to this topic

#121 dragonballgtz

dragonballgtz

Yu-Gi-HOE

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 05:44 PM

lol that would be hilarious if that was the final straw that broke the camels back.

"whats this? A fine? A FINE?? WHAT!! GOD DAMN YOU!!! IM GOING TO RUSSIA"

Well if that article was right about players getting 45 cents on the dollar having to pay another type of fine I wouldn't be to happy as well. The money they make is still good compared to most of America though. I think most people would get mad no matter how much you make if over half the money you gross you don't even touch.

#122 Yzerman191

Yzerman191

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,245 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 05:45 PM

I would be surprised if he did go. Seems pretty clear to me by now that he wants to play in the NHL. He already turned down multiple massive KHL contracts. He is just trying to get as much money while playing in the NHL for a contender.

Who wouldn't?

#123 MulesWillFly93

MulesWillFly93

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 05:47 PM

I would be surprised if he did go. Seems pretty clear to me by now that he wants to play in the NHL. He already turned down multiple massive KHL contracts. He is just trying to get as much money while playing in the NHL for a contender.

Yeah, that's what I thought, too. At first I thought he was all about the money, but considering those KHL contracts he turned down, it seems like he's a lot about the money, but he's also about the Cup, too. I'd still like to see him with the Kings instead of the Devils...less money, but still realistic money, and much more Cup.

Nobody lives forever.
Some things never die.
Like up in the land of ice and snow,
They tell me that a Red Wing always flies.
RIP Ruslan Salei - Brad McCrimmon - Stefan Liv - Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
(Orig. lyrics - Ray Wylie Hubbard, "Airplane Fell Down in Dixie")

#124 Johnny Diamonds

Johnny Diamonds

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 769 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 08:02 AM

Why this is bad news for the league. Another lockout in 2012?

From George Malik's blog on MLive
http://blog.mlive.co...ed_wings_p.html

Finally, the New York Post's Larry Brooks offers a fantastic take on the NHL's decision to grieve Ilya Kovalchuk's 17-year contract with the New Jersey Devils.

He duly points out that it's the NHL, Gary Bettman, and Bill Daly attempting to circumvent the CBA here by imposing contract limits on players, general managers, and the NHLPA without collectively bargaining such limits into the CBA.

As arbitrator Richard Bloch prepares to hear both the NHL and PA's arguments regarding supposed CBA circumvention on Wednesday and Thursday, Brooks found an anonymous member of the PA hierarchy who's willing to call the NHL out for its attempt to screw players and fans after "losing" the battle to make it even harder for teams to retain their star players as Bill Daly, NHL sycophant Ted Saskin, Trevor Linden and, to some extent, Devils GM Lou Lamoriello authored the CBA during the lockout:

August 1, New York Post: "They absolutely tried to get the right to limit contract length," one of the NHLPA's prime negotiators into and throughout the lockout told Slap Shots. "It was another cap they wanted to impose, but we were able to win that one."

As Brooks notes, the NHL's grievance has a scary pre-second-lockout parallel--the NHL grieved three contracts because they refused to allow three contracts to include signing bonuses deferred to the 2004-2005 season, which the NHL fully intended to spend locking out its players and fans. The NHL lost the case, of course...

Though this is the first circumvention charge filed since the lockout, this is not the first time the league has brought larger collective bargaining issues into an arbitration hearing. This case bears striking similarity to the 2003 case in which the NHL claimed signing bonuses to Joe Sakic, Rob Blake and Pierre Turgeon constituted illegal lockout protection and therefore, circumvention. Signing bonuses were legal under the old CBA just as long-term, front-loaded contracts are legal under this CBA. Indeed, the league routinely registered contracts containing signing bonuses without protest, just as the league routinely has registered long-term, front-loaded contracts.

And, as Brooks points out, the NHL allowed two of the five teams it actually markets to fans, the Chicago Blackhawks and Vancouver Canucks, to sign Marian Hossa and Roberto Luongo to five-year contracts (the NHL essentially acknowledges that the Pittsburgh Penguins, Washington Capitals, Blackhawks, Canucks and Calgary Flames have individual players who merit individual praise, but as Wings fans know, the NHL's marketing department tends to ignore the Nicklas Lidstroms and Pavel Datysuks who receive no "face time" in national ad campaigns)...

Moreover, and perhaps most disturbingly, Gary Bettman, Bill Daly and the league seem to believe in preferential treatment toward their biggest allies during the lockout, like Boston Bruins owner and Board of Governors president Jeremy Jacobs, but newcomers without preferential status deserve the league's scorn:

No rule is violated in this contract any more than the Bruins' seven-year agreement with Marc Savard, that kicks in this year, violates the CBA. Savard, 33, is in for a cap hit of $4.01 million on a deal in which he's due to earn $14 million over the first two years, $11.5 the following two years, $1.5M the fifth year and the league minimum $525,000 each of the final two years of the deal. Both deals are structured so that the largest drop in annual compensation -- $3 million in Kovalchuk's contract from the 10th to 11th season, $3.5 million in Savard's contract from the fourth to fifth season -- complies with the "50-percent" rule relating to the average of the first two seasons. Apparently, the first one coming from Jeremy Jacobs' team was fine in the minds of the NHL, but this one from Lou Lamoriello's and Jeff Vanderbeek's team is not.

In other words, as we already know, some teams are more equal than others.
Just about every pundit and legal expert weighing in on the Kovalchuk case agrees that the NHL has no chance of winning this battle, but they certainly agree that between attempting to circumvent their own "sweetheart" CBA and floating the thought balloon that they'd restrict the salary cap to $48 million to force high-spending teams to gut their rosters--and likely demand another across-the-board salary "rollback" from players to re-set the market--the NHL is both declaring labor war on the NHLPA ahead of the expiry of the CBA in 2012...

And the NHL's not-so-subtly informing its paying fans that they fully expect you and I to come back and embrace the game with open arms if they lock out their players and fans for the third time in fifteen seasons.

For the second time in a link-roundup and pseudo-column, I'm going to use that dirty word: I think that the NHL's acting both arrogantly and stupidly in this situation. Shame on the NHL for daring to assume that its players and fans will fold in short order and give into a league that chooses to break its own rules and believes in periodically burning its village down in order to save it.

So I'll conclude with something I never thought I'd say aloud (or type): Gary Bettman, you're acting predictably like your little whiny spoiled brat self, and you deserve a five-minute major and a game misconduct for your immature actions.

Take a clue from Landon Ferraro and start acting like a grown-up instead of throwing yet another temper tantrum because you can't get your way in imposing term limits upon contracts in search of your equally stupid dream of imposing utter parity upon 30 teams, 700 players and millions of paying fans who are the reasons why your league's consistently earned over two and a half billion dollars while weathering a worldwide recession.

#125 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,605 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 03:00 PM

From TSN .

The Ilya Kovalchuk contract situation is expected to be resolved today.

Independent arbitrator Richard Bloch is scheduled to rule today on whether or not Kovlachuk's 17-year, $102 million contract will stand, or be voided.

If the arbitrator rules in favour of the deal, than Kovlachuk will play the remainder of his career in New Jersey. If the deal is voided, the 27-year old sniper would once again be on the free agent market.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#126 MacK_Attack

MacK_Attack

Old School

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,676 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 04:15 PM

Initial rumblings are that NHL rejection of the contract has been upheld.

#127 mindfly

mindfly

GRRRRR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 04:19 PM

Kovie is now a UFA, league descision stands.

#128 MacK_Attack

MacK_Attack

Old School

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,676 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 04:20 PM

So now the question stands....What is an acceptable length for a large long-term contract?

#129 Glubki

Glubki

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 569 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 04:23 PM

So now the question stands....What is an acceptable length for a large long-term contract?

I'm also interested in hearing if the league is going to fine the Devils...
If you have an online nemesis you are spending too much time online....

#130 jeff48109

jeff48109

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,521 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 04:29 PM

i don't think its the length that is problem. its HOW the contract is structured. if the contract was $102m to be split evenly over the 17 years, the league wouldn't have done anything

Edited by jeff48109, 09 August 2010 - 04:29 PM.

#131 jeff48109

jeff48109

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,521 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 04:41 PM

several sources are reporting the arbitrator has ruled in favor of the NHL in the Kovalchuk grievance case, including NHL's twitter

Link to source

Reports: arbitrator denies @NHLPA grievance over the NHL ruling that Kovalchuk's contract with the @NHLDevils circumvented the salary cap

NHL press release

NHL statement

Ilya Kovalchuk is once again an unrestricted free agent as systems arbitrator Richard Bloch has determined the NHL was within its legal right to reject the 17-year, $102 million contract Kovalchuk signed with the New Jersey Devils in July.

Bloch heard arguments from both the NHL and the NHL Players' Association, which filed a grievance on Kovalchuk's behalf, over two days in Boston last week. His decision came late Monday afternoon. As a result of Bloch's ruling, Kovalchuk immediately returns to unrestricted free agent status.

Upon announcing the contract was rejected, NHL Deputy Commissioner said the League would not approve it because it was a "circumvention of the Collective Bargaining Agreement."

Daly released the following statement with regard to the decision by Bloch that the League properly rejected the contract agreed to by the New Jersey Devils and Ilya Kovalchuk:

"We want to thank Arbitrator Bloch for his prompt resolution of a complex issue. His ruling is consistent with the League's view of the manner in which the Collective Bargaining Agreement should deal with contracts that circumvent the Salary Cap."

The Devils can choose to re-work the contract in hopes of getting it approved, or Kovalchuk could look elsewhere. Los Angeles reportedly had an offer for 15 years and $80 million on the table before Kovalchuk agreed to re-sign with New Jersey.

Edited by jeff48109, 09 August 2010 - 04:44 PM.

#132 MacK_Attack

MacK_Attack

Old School

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,676 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 04:49 PM

I'm also interested in hearing if the league is going to fine the Devils...

By the sounds of it, they're not going to. The rejection is apparently all they were after.

#133 roboturner

roboturner

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 04:50 PM

So I guess the question now is... does any NHL team have the cap space to sign him?

This might be getting a little heated. Just know I don't hate any of you guys.

That doesn't mean that I respect ideas & opinions. Some ideas & opinions are ridiculous.

In fact, if you confront my ideas & opinions, that will lead to a discussion. (We're on a discussion board after all. Don't forget that!)

:bye1: :bye1: :bye1: :bye1: :bye1: :bye1: :bye1: :bye1:

#134 cjm502

cjm502

This man was born to kick ass.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 04:51 PM

:clap:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#135 jeff48109

jeff48109

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,521 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 04:52 PM

it'll be funny if Kovalchuk bolts to Russia for the money, after saying he wants to be a Devil for life

#136 MacK_Attack

MacK_Attack

Old School

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,676 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 04:53 PM

So I guess the question now is... does any NHL team have the cap space to sign him?

Absolutely. Question is whether they have budget space.

#137 Buppy

Buppy

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 05:02 PM

Why this is bad news for the league. Another lockout in 2012?

From George Malik's blog on MLive
http://blog.mlive.co...ed_wings_p.html

Little disappointed in Malik.

It seems the concept of 'degree' is too difficult for him.

Kovy's contract is similar to a lot of approved deals, but it's also worse than all of them. Longer, later age, more junk years, more cap reduction...just worse in every single way.

No, there isn't a specifically stated rule that is violated. But there is a principle. A 40 year deal isn't against the rules either, and who's to say Kovy can't play to 67? Another 23 years at $550k would get the cap hit under $3 million. Technically, there's no rules against 1000 year contracts. Sure would be nice to have a player like Kovy for less than $650k/year.

Without limits on contract duration, the cap is meaningless. With enough years tacked on the end, you could get any contract to average out to basically league minimum. Obviously, there has to be some limit, it's just a matter of where.

#138 Original-Six

Original-Six

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 05:12 PM

Kovie is now a UFA, league decision stands.

The saga continues....part 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lcTKe_EUNg

#139 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,911 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 05:14 PM

Get 'er done Kenny!!!!!!!!!!!! :P
"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#140 EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,731 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 05:19 PM

several sources are reporting the arbitrator has ruled in favor of the NHL in the Kovalchuk grievance case, including NHL's twitter

Link to source

NHL press release

NHL statement

Now watch Bettman complain more stars are leaving for the KHL...
Victory Honda Forever.

Like my posts? Contact Hossa4life for information regarding my fan club