• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

blues_demitra38

Wings should sign Paul Kariya

Rate this topic

Dude, it's July. Chill.

I wasn't getting angry.

Besides, it's too hot outside to chill.

I'm just making what I think is a good point. Just like Modano, he's not a star player anymore and doesn't really address our needs. People are overreacting over this idea because Kariya was once a top star.

Edited by GMRwings1983

I know the OP asked for reasons why not to sign Kariya, but I can't think of a good reason FOR the Red Wings to sign Kariya. He doesn't provide anything this team needs. Our top six is set and he sure as hell isn't cut to play in the bottom six with his diving and complete lack of grinding ability.

Signing Kariya makes no sense when considering what the Red Wings already have in place on their roster.

I wasn't getting angry.

Besides, it's too hot outside to chill.

I'm just making what I think is a good point. Just like Modano, he's not a star player anymore and doesn't really address our needs. People are overreacting over this idea because Kariya was once a top star.

I get what you're saying and for Kariya I would agree 100%. But the potential upside with Modano could be epic if he accepts his role as a third line center and is driven. The guy captained a team to the Stanley Cup. The more I think about it, I'm glad he's waiting to see how his body feels. It shows that's he taking the notion seriously. If he's on the team, he automatically gives a few guys on the first two lines a nice push.

Edited by Broken 16

Guest Crymson

I get what you're saying and for Kariya I would agree 100%. But the potential upside with Modano could be epic if he accepts his role as a third line center and is driven. The guy captained a team to the Stanley Cup. The more I think about it, I'm glad he's waiting to see how his body feels. It shows that's he taking the notion seriously. If he's on the team, he automatically gives a few guys on the first two lines a nice push.

Derian Hatcher was captain when the Stars won the Cup. Modano was only captain for the '03-'04 and '05-'06 seasons. Morrow replaced him before the '06-'07 season.

Edited by Crymson

We need one of those guys...who..ya know...defends his teammates..ya know..when the other team starts running around..what's that type of player's name again?...oh every other team in the league has at least 1 in their lineup every night...whatre they called againn...oh yeah......ENFORCERS!!!!!!!!!!!!:ranting:

I can't believe that this thread made it all the way through 1 1/2 pages before that same old tired argument came up...

We need one of those guys...who..ya know...defends his teammates..ya know..when the other team starts running around..what's that type of player's name again?...oh every other team in the league has at least 1 in their lineup every night...whatre they called againn...oh yeah......ENFORCERS!!!!!!!!!!!!:ranting:

When I need salt to be poured on an open wound, I'm going to give you a call.

Kariya wants too much money.End thread.Thanks.

Maybe for a team like St. Louis who are a few years away from contending for the Cup. But for a team like Detroit I would like to think that Ken Holland has at least contacted Kariya to see what the asking price is. The potential is just too great to ignore.

Maybe for a team like St. Louis who are a few years away from contending for the Cup. But for a team like Detroit I would like to think that Ken Holland has at least contacted Kariya to see what the asking price is. The potential is just too great to ignore.

And Kariya serves what role? He's a liability defensively, he's not physical. He's a good passer and has a decent shot, but always looks to pass first. So if Kariya is signed, then what? Where does he play that doesn't make him redundant?

The Wings already have twelve forwards signed, plus two who will be signed. If you want a quick skating winger with a hard, accurate shot, there's Patrick Eaves.

Paul Kariya is better then Dan Cleary.

At grinding in the corners, digging in front of the net, and playing defense?

Kariya barely even does any of those things. The Wings already have a bunch of scoring forwards.

Kariya's purpose is offense. Last season he scored 43 points playing on the Blues' top line with Oshie and Backes. What line will he play on in Detroit, and what line will he play on? Will it be Kariya/Filppula/Franzen on the second line? Or perhaps it will be Kariya/Datsyuk/Holmstrom? I guess I'm finding difficulty seeing where adding Kariya in those situations makes an improvement to the roster all-around.

This thread has nothing to do with Dan Cleary.

Except that (s)he said that "Paul Kariya is better then Dan Cleary." -exact quote.

The thread is about Kariya coming to the Wings- should we or shouldn't we- what are people's opinions on that. (S)He's ranking the Wings in order of how good they are and where Kariya would fit in. (S)He thinks that Kariya is immediately ahead of Cleary on the list. Kariya then Cleary.

Personally, I'd think that it would be Kariya then Hudler then Cleary, although Cleary had an off season last year, and had surgery this summer, so there is the possibility that next year he might be ahead of Hudler on the list.

Either way, Kariya is a fine scorer and set-up man. One can certainly argue that it never hurts to have many guys going to the net, but it can also be said that it takes all kinds to make a team. I tend to agree with the latter. As good as Kariya is, I think he's not what we need at this point.

Kariya with a testosterone transplant? Now we're talking!

Guest Shoreline

This thread has nothing to do with Dan Cleary.

It's an upgrade from the possible "Kariya is better than Osgood [OsBad]". He's improving!

Personally, I'd think that it would be Kariya then Hudler then Cleary, although Cleary had an off season last year, and had surgery this summer, so there is the possibility that next year he might be ahead of Hudler on the list

I think your comparison of Kariya to Hudler's a better one then Cleary anyway as their value is more similar. For one year I'd take Kariya but for their ages I'd take Hudler. I don't see Cleary as a direct comparison.