• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

#21 NomadFromKazoo

NomadFromKazoo

Kaz

• PipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 10:35 AM

Maybe the Wings should sign Modano, Kariya and Guerin and pretend it's the 90s again.

In more ways then one...

Sure, any of them who'll sign for a mil would be cool, but other then Modano why would they be interested? Winning a cup and home town discount is one thing, but signing for what to them is a nominal sum I don't see them doing other then for personal reasons like Modano.
Frank Herbert: Fear is the mind-killer

Groucho Marx: Sincerity is the key to success. If you can fake that, you've got it made

George Patton: If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking

Doctor Who: Don't turn your back, don't look away, and don't blink

#22 wally42

wally42

Prospect

• 49 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 10:36 AM

I think we should not only sign kariya, but modano as well. And then we should trade zetterberg or datsyuk for mark recchi. Why do you guys want the red wings organization to become a nursing home?

#23 dragonballgtz

dragonballgtz

Yu-Gi-HOE

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,407 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 10:43 AM

i've always hated him but the man can score and thats big i think it was all his battles with Chelios where I grew to hate Kariya but hes got a wicked wrist shot.

He has become more of a setup man recently. How much longer do you think his hips could hold on?

#24 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 11:22 AM

Because we already have Hudler.

esteef
"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#25 NomadFromKazoo

NomadFromKazoo

Kaz

• PipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 11:23 AM

I think we should not only sign kariya, but modano as well. And then we should trade zetterberg or datsyuk for mark recchi. Why do you guys want the red wings organization to become a nursing home?

If we were talking multi million dollar deals then I'd agree with you, but of course we'd sign those guys if they'd sign for what we can afford, which is very little (by pro athlete standards). I think the question is more why anyone thinks they would sign for that.
Frank Herbert: Fear is the mind-killer

Groucho Marx: Sincerity is the key to success. If you can fake that, you've got it made

George Patton: If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking

Doctor Who: Don't turn your back, don't look away, and don't blink

#26 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,624 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 11:45 AM

He has become more of a setup man recently. How much longer do you think his hips could hold on?

If he were to stay healthy and contribute regularly, then why not?

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#27 hillbillywingsfan

hillbillywingsfan

Awww poor butch

• Gold Booster
  • 3,534 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 11:59 AM

Because they don't have the cap space.

End thread.

you are a mod that just answered the question...for real close it.=)
msg-10491-1258682020.jpg

I LIVE IN TEXAS SO I DON'T DESERVE HOCKEY

#28 hooon

hooon

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 12:04 PM

We do not need another undersized forward, especially one with no potential to improve, and lots of potential to decline. I can understand the argument for Modano, because he would improve our team next year. I don't see how Kariya improves our team at all. He doesn't score nearly as much as some of you are suggesting he would.

And as previously mentioned, he played for 6 mil last year, I highly doubt he signs with Detroit for 1-1.25mil.
Posted Image

#29 Detroit40oz

Detroit40oz

Rookie

• Pip
  • 107 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 12:10 PM

Fighting =/= toughness. Remember when he got destroyed by Stevens, came back minutes later and scored a goal in 2003? That's toughness. Now shut the f*** up.

its not 2003 anymore, and the guys not worth what he'd want at all either.

i'd like to see him get a cup before he's done because he was one of my favorite players as a kid, but it wouldn't happen here.

#30 Get Rid of Mickey

Get Rid of Mickey

Jr. Prospect

• 20 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 12:17 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGLLvraXA5s

He can still do this.

#31 xtrememachine1

xtrememachine1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 12:20 PM

I'd love to see Kariya in a Wings uniform, the guy can still fly and still has a great shot. But the bottom line is he'll want more money than we can pay, especially now with the whole Modano, Helm, Abdelkader situation. Its a good thought, but its not practical.

#32 Motown4013

Motown4013

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,067 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 02:10 PM

I'd love to see Kariya in a Wings uniform, the guy can still fly and still has a great shot. But the bottom line is he'll want more money than we can pay, especially now with the whole Modano, Helm, Abdelkader situation. Its a good thought, but its not practical.

For guys like PK who is looking to end his career on an upswing, the Wings would be a perfect match. He isnt getting much done in St. Louis but the skills are all there. If he wanted to come and play on the 3rd line with Huds/ Cleary or whatever for the motown discount, I would be 2 thumbs up...and prefer it to Modano.
Raising another Red Wings Fan!

The future looks bright in Hockeytown!
GUSTAV SNIPEQUIST!

#33 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 03:08 PM

Fighting =/= toughness. Remember when he got destroyed by Stevens, came back minutes later and scored a goal in 2003? That's toughness. Now shut the f*** up.

Fighting does equal toughness. Just because fighting makes you tough doesn't mean other things can't make you tough as well. Taking a punch in the head is just as tough as blocking a shot.

As for Kariya being tough because he scored a goal after Stevens lit him up.... No that makes Kariya a dumb ass for admiring his pass but a good goal scorer.

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#34 Original-Six

Original-Six

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 03:10 PM

While the Wings are at it they should sign Kovalchuk too.

#35 Original-Six

Original-Six

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 03:17 PM

As for Kariya being tough because he scored a goal after Stevens lit him up.... No that makes Kariya a dumb ass for admiring his pass but a good goal scorer.

If coming back to score a goal just minutes after being KO'ed isn't tough i don't know what is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ebTSeDGsds&feature=related

Edited by Original-Six, 22 July 2010 - 03:41 PM.

• Ram likes this

#36 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 03:29 PM

Fighting does equal toughness. Just because fighting makes you tough doesn't mean other things can't make you tough as well. Taking a punch in the head is just as tough as blocking a shot.

Give me a f**king break.

It takes a whole lot of cojones to come back from a hit like that so quickly from one of the best open ice hitters of all time, and score as clutch of a goal as it gets.

#37 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 03:31 PM

Give me a f**king break.

It takes a whole lot of cojones to come back from a hit like that so quickly from one of the best open ice hitters of all time, and score as clutch of a goal as it gets.

Yeah its tough to do for sure, but I wouldn't be ragging about him being amazing for doing it. Yeah he got the goal but he also got KOed because he admired his pass with Stevens on the ice. Youre taught in novice not to do that

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#38 SweWings

SweWings

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,917 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 03:35 PM

Maybe the Wings should sign Modano, Kariya and Guerin and pretend it's the 90s again.

You should become GM of the Leafs or the Rangers - you've got their ideology down to a t.

#39 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 03:35 PM

Yeah its tough to do for sure, but I wouldn't be ragging about him being amazing for doing it. Yeah he got the goal but he also got KOed because he admired his pass with Stevens on the ice. Youre taught in novice not to do that

Of course.

Your average scrub or 3rd liner is probably not going to do what Kariya did in that sequence when Kariya was still a star player.

He did what he had to do after he got leveled, and he did it pretty damned good.

Of course he neeeded to keep his head up, but he deserves plenty kudos and more for stepping up immediately afterwards when plenty of people would've continued to be out cold/injured in all likelihood.

You aren't giving him enough credit, or not implying it.

#40 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 03:38 PM

Of course.

Your average scrub or 3rd liner is probably not going to do what Kariya did in that sequence when Kariya was still a star player.

He did what he had to do after he got leveled, and he did it pretty damned good.

Of course he neeeded to keep his head up, but he deserves plenty kudos and more for stepping up immediately afterwards when plenty of people would've continued to be out cold/injured in all likelihood.

You aren't giving him enough credit, or not implying it.

I know a lot of scrubs that would get up after a hit like that and play again but wouldn't score that goal because Kariya used to be a sick player.

I'm probably not implying enough credit but I actually think it was pretty solid on his part. I just wouldn't call him a tough player becxuse of it. I would say it was more of an extraordinary goal where he manned up. His whole career wasn't made up of plays like that so I still wodn't consider him a tough player. Know what I mean?

RIP BOB PROBERT #24