• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

#41 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 03:42 PM

Gotcha, understand where you're coming from now.

And as for Kariya coming here, I wouldn't mind seeing it happen and the Wings would give him a decent shot at winning his first Cup before he soon retires, would probably peg him for a similar role as what is being guessed for Modano possibly coming here (3rd line/some PP time), but I would think he'd have to command more money and I wouldn't think the Wings would have the Cap space.

#42 RedFX

RedFX

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,182 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 03:56 PM

He hasn't had an injury-free season since 2003. NO. THANK. YOU.
-15-
Posted Image
"I don't like to be the pony. I like to be on top." -Pavel Datsyuk

#43 Jesusberg

Jesusberg

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 04:30 PM

Meh... not that he's not impressive, but it just doesn't inspire me much. He's still a decent player with good wheels, I'll give him that. I think at this point it's Modano or just moving ahead with the youth we have.

#44 EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,731 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 05:35 PM

He hasn't had an injury-free season since 2003. NO. THANK. YOU.

If by 2002-2003 you mean 2007-2008, which was his third consecutive 82 game season, then yeah, 2002-2003.

P.S. I was born in Brentwood, right near Franklin.
Victory Honda Forever.

Like my posts? Contact Hossa4life for information regarding my fan club

#45 darkmanx

darkmanx

Toronto's Finest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,617 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 05:48 PM

:rolleyes:

#46 Broken 16

Broken 16

Bonecrushing Blueliner

• Gold Booster
  • 2,959 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 05:58 PM

For guys like PK who is looking to end his career on an upswing, the Wings would be a perfect match. He isnt getting much done in St. Louis but the skills are all there. If he wanted to come and play on the 3rd line with Huds/ Cleary or whatever for the motown discount, I would be 2 thumbs up...and prefer it to Modano.

I wouldn't mind Kariya on the third line but I think I would have to go with Modano. Size being the factor I guess.

#47 Kira

Kira

"I hope you're not from KGB"

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,556 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 06:38 PM

I tend to wonder if this is a hockey team we're talking about or a rescue shelter for unwanted mutts.
Posted Image

#48 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,646 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 07:28 PM

He's injured too often and I've had it with him diving all over the ice like a pansy. He's not much better than Crosby and Floppa in that department.

Same thing as the Modano situation. What does he give us that we don't already have?

Can you envision Paul Kariya (a guy that doesn't check) on a checking line? I don't. We're pretty set as far as scoring goes. That won't be what defeats us. We just need a stay at home defenseman who hits, and a grinder to a make us a more well rounded team.

Besides, as someone already said, he'll command too much money.

Edited by GMRwings1983, 22 July 2010 - 07:29 PM.

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#49 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,646 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 07:35 PM

Too many people on LGW don't understand the concept of having a complete team.

Probably because in their video games, they stack all 4 lines with stars, and win the Cup every year. Doesn't work that way in the NHL.

Kariya has never played on the lower two lines and that's totally not his game. Also, he's not good enough to be on our top 6 unless there's injuries. When we're healthy, he'll look out of place playing with Abby or Eaves.

#50 Broken 16

Broken 16

Bonecrushing Blueliner

• Gold Booster
  • 2,959 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 07:39 PM

Too many people on LGW don't understand the concept of having a complete team.

Probably because in their video games, they stack all 4 lines with stars, and win the Cup every year. Doesn't work that way in the NHL.

Kariya has never played on the lower two lines and that's totally not his game. Also, he's not good enough to be on our top 6 unless there's injuries. When we're healthy, he'll look out of place playing with Abby or Eaves.

Dude, it's July. Chill.
  • Ram likes this

#51 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,646 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 07:46 PM

Dude, it's July. Chill.

I wasn't getting angry.

Besides, it's too hot outside to chill.

I'm just making what I think is a good point. Just like Modano, he's not a star player anymore and doesn't really address our needs. People are overreacting over this idea because Kariya was once a top star.

Edited by GMRwings1983, 22 July 2010 - 07:47 PM.

#52 wally42

wally42

Prospect

• 49 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 07:56 PM

I tend to wonder if this is a hockey team we're talking about or a rescue shelter for unwanted mutts.

Exactly.

#53 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,226 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 07:57 PM

I know the OP asked for reasons why not to sign Kariya, but I can't think of a good reason FOR the Red Wings to sign Kariya. He doesn't provide anything this team needs. Our top six is set and he sure as hell isn't cut to play in the bottom six with his diving and complete lack of grinding ability.

Signing Kariya makes no sense when considering what the Red Wings already have in place on their roster.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#54 Broken 16

Broken 16

Bonecrushing Blueliner

• Gold Booster
  • 2,959 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 08:03 PM

I wasn't getting angry.

Besides, it's too hot outside to chill.

I'm just making what I think is a good point. Just like Modano, he's not a star player anymore and doesn't really address our needs. People are overreacting over this idea because Kariya was once a top star.

I get what you're saying and for Kariya I would agree 100%. But the potential upside with Modano could be epic if he accepts his role as a third line center and is driven. The guy captained a team to the Stanley Cup. The more I think about it, I'm glad he's waiting to see how his body feels. It shows that's he taking the notion seriously. If he's on the team, he automatically gives a few guys on the first two lines a nice push.

Edited by Broken 16, 22 July 2010 - 08:05 PM.

#55 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,683 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 08:07 PM

We need one of those guys...who..ya know...defends his teammates..ya know..when the other team starts running around..what's that type of player's name again?...oh every other team in the league has at least 1 in their lineup every night...whatre they called againn...oh yeah......ENFORCERS!!!!!!!!!!!!:ranting:
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#56 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 08:10 PM

B double T double B... you just made the thread take u-turn to negative town.
TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

#57 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 08:10 PM

I get what you're saying and for Kariya I would agree 100%. But the potential upside with Modano could be epic if he accepts his role as a third line center and is driven. The guy captained a team to the Stanley Cup. The more I think about it, I'm glad he's waiting to see how his body feels. It shows that's he taking the notion seriously. If he's on the team, he automatically gives a few guys on the first two lines a nice push.

Derian Hatcher was captain when the Stars won the Cup. Modano was only captain for the '03-'04 and '05-'06 seasons. Morrow replaced him before the '06-'07 season.

Edited by Crymson, 22 July 2010 - 08:11 PM.

#58 Broken 16

Broken 16

Bonecrushing Blueliner

• Gold Booster
  • 2,959 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 08:12 PM

Derian Hatcher was captain when the Stars won the Cup.

Haha! Right! I used to forget that back in the day too.

#59 chrisdetroit

chrisdetroit

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,407 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 08:17 PM

We need one of those guys...who..ya know...defends his teammates..ya know..when the other team starts running around..what's that type of player's name again?...oh every other team in the league has at least 1 in their lineup every night...whatre they called againn...oh yeah......ENFORCERS!!!!!!!!!!!!:ranting:

I can't believe that this thread made it all the way through 1 1/2 pages before that same old tired argument came up...
Do or do not. There is no try

#60 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,683 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 08:19 PM

Kariya wants too much money.End thread.Thanks.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien