• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

blues_demitra38

Wings should sign Paul Kariya

Rate this topic

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

Except that (s)he said that "Paul Kariya is better then Dan Cleary." -exact quote.

The thread is about Kariya coming to the Wings- should we or shouldn't we- what are people's opinions on that. (S)He's ranking the Wings in order of how good they are and where Kariya would fit in. (S)He thinks that Kariya is immediately ahead of Cleary on the list. Kariya then Cleary.

Personally, I'd think that it would be Kariya then Hudler then Cleary, although Cleary had an off season last year, and had surgery this summer, so there is the possibility that next year he might be ahead of Hudler on the list.

Either way, Kariya is a fine scorer and set-up man. One can certainly argue that it never hurts to have many guys going to the net, but it can also be said that it takes all kinds to make a team. I tend to agree with the latter. As good as Kariya is, I think he's not what we need at this point.

Kariya with a testosterone transplant? Now we're talking!

I know we're talking about hypotheticals here, but if Karyia signs for any role that isn't a top line role for any team, I would be amazed if he outscored Hudler next season.

Also, although it will never happen, can anyone imagine a Eaves-Helm Karyia line? I know it would be a waste of talent on the remote chance we sign him, but boy that would easily be the fastest line in the NHL.

Edited by EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

Awards

No Stanley Cup... and I guess not much left in the tank.

He's welcome to take a discount and make a cup run.

At grinding in the corners, digging in front of the net, and playing defense?

Kariya barely even does any of those things. The Wings already have a bunch of scoring forwards.

Kariya's purpose is offense. Last season he scored 43 points playing on the Blues' top line with Oshie and Backes. What line will he play on in Detroit, and what line will he play on? Will it be Kariya/Filppula/Franzen on the second line? Or perhaps it will be Kariya/Datsyuk/Holmstrom? I guess I'm finding difficulty seeing where adding Kariya in those situations makes an improvement to the roster all-around.

I agree completely

People may as well say, "Kariya has softer hands than Draper"

He's not the droid that we're looking for.

He probably scores half his goals per season against the Wings and can't score against any other teams. At least it seams that way. I'd pass as Modano is twice the defensive player and unless you were to put Kariya on the top 2 lines (which won't happen) he'd be ultimatly ineffective.

He probably scores half his goals per season against the Wings and can't score against any other teams. At least it seams that way. I'd pass as Modano is twice the defensive player and unless you were to put Kariya on the top 2 lines (which won't happen) he'd be ultimatly ineffective.

Thing is, he would be a legitimate top 2 line winger on the Red Wings. Put him on Datsyuk or Zetterberg's left wing and that is as scary a duo as any other on the team.

Thing is, he would be a legitimate top 2 line winger on the Red Wings. Put him on Datsyuk or Zetterberg's left wing and that is as scary a duo as any other on the team.

Do you honestly believe Kariya is good for the Wings, or are you just some Blues fan who wants to see us sign a washed up player who's always hurt and eats up cap space, just so you can laugh about it afterwards?

5 or so years ago I would have agreed. These days he's not better than anyone on our top 2 lines. What did he score 16 goals on the top line for the Blues? I'd rather put Flip or Bert out there!

5 or so years ago I would have agreed. These days he's not better than anyone on our top 2 lines. What did he score 16 goals on the top line for the Blues? I'd rather put Flip or Bert out there!

Wow, 16 goals on the top line? Didn't Modano score 16 on the third?

Wow, 16 goals on the top line? Didn't Modano score 16 on the third?

Oops, my bad! Kariya scored 18 goals and 25 assists in 75 games last year. He did however score 5 of those goals against the Wings. So an incredible 13 goals against the rest of the league. Not the greatest numbers for top line minutes. I'll pass and take Modano!

I honestly don't see Kariya being an ideal complement for either Hank or Pavel.

Our top six is just fine. Kariya isn't better than anyone the Red Wings have now.