761148930_HpWJn-M.jpg

http://www.redwingscentral.com/prospects/mrazek.php

Position: Goaltender

Catches: Left

Vitals: 6'0'' / 162 lbs.

Birthdate: February 14, 1992

Hometown: Ostrava, Czech Republic

Acquired: Detroit's fifth choice (141st overall) in the 2010 draft

CSS Ranking: 25th North American Goaltender (2010)

SCOUT COMMENTS

"He's not huge in the net but by the way he competes, he plays bigger than what he is. He's got real good athleticism, he moves well post-to-post and he never gives up on any shots. If you're not that big and you move quick and can read the play well as he does, it makes up for size." — Red Wings scout Joe McDonnell (June 2010).

STRENGTHS

No. 1 asset in the Red Wings' eyes is his competitiveness ... Never gives up on a play, either battling for a sight line or diving with a last-ditch effort to stop a puck ... Acrobatic and athletic ... Quick lateral mobility ... Tremendous focus and confidence, key assets for a goalie.

WEAKNESSES

The days of Chris Osgood-sized goaltenders are fading, and while Mrazek isn't that small, he's definitely below-average in that department ... Was only a late-round pick because scouts have had limited viewing: Mrazek has never carried the starting load. Can he?

http://blog.mlive.com/snapshots/2010/07/red_wings_prospect_camp_assess.html

34 Petr Mrazek

Pluses: For a goaltender optimistically listed at 6’ and 170 lbs—Mrazek stands 5’10” and might weigh 150—the 18-year-old earned two very specific mentions from me over the course of prospect camp for a simple reason: his athleticism more than made up for his lack of size, and while he’s a raw goaltender who uses oversized equipment to block the puck, he blocks that puck with authority and confidence, and his athleticism allows him to charge out to the top of the crease and maximize his blocking surfaces while also buying him the time and space necessary to recover and attempt to cover up on rebound opportunities. His Hasek-like glove is just brilliant, nothing less than brilliant, because he not only snags pucks out of the air a-la McCollum, but also knows how to drop the puck out of his glove and keep the game moving by chipping it to his defensemen with his smart stick-work—he wasn’t kidding when he suggested that he works on it regularly, because his passes were both efficient and fast enough that he could recover and get back into his stance quickly and smoothly--his rebound control is fantastic in that the big rebounds that thudded off his pads all went into the corners, like Mountain’s rebounds, his blocker is solid, his butterfly is wide and confident, he possesses superb lateral movement and can cover up the “holes” in his technique relatively quickly, and he and McCollum possessed the best combinations of technical aplomb and the ability to intimidate shooters.

Minuses: Mrazek is both incredibly skinny—Daniel Larsson, skinny-as-a-rake thin—and, despite his athleticism, inefficient in terms of his skating and overenthusiastic to the point of taking himself out of position in terms of his movement across the crease. When Mountain and Mrazek did lateral movement drills or worked on their positioning with Jim Bedard, you’d think that Al Sobotka would be weeping because the gents cut up his ice with all the sound and fury of someone trying to ski on gravel, expending a tremendous amount of energy to just dig in and slide across—and when Mrazek lost his crease, he would wander out of the net and sometimes seem like he didn’t plan on recovering until he was halfway to Windsor.

The other issue with Mrazek’s style involved the fact that, when you’re a puck-blocking netminder (whether he wants to call himself a hybrid, butterfly, whatever) who relies on his athletic ability and a big, un-tucked-in chest protector, high-as-possible pads and big goalie pants to make up for your rope-thin physique, the combination of bulk and inefficient movement means that if you get spun around, all of a sudden there’s a skinny kid in the net who has a hard time blocking the puck or getting to rebounds. By the end of camp, most of the Wings’ players figured out that the best way to beat Mrazek was to get the puck in tight for a rebound chance, force him to commit to his butterfly, and just walk the puck around him laterally because he couldn’t spin around fast enough and didn’t have enough bulk , technical aplomb, or simple puck-fighting ability to do what McCollum can—when you twist McCollum around and his big bulk’s pointed away from the net, he becomes Hasek-like in his tenacity and will use his glove, blocker, stick, head, you name it to bat the puck away and pull the rebound back into him. Mrazek didn’t display that tenacity once the puck was behind him.

Potential “upside”: Mrazek has miles to go in terms of improving his skating, strength, and graduating from a puck-blocking goaltender to someone with a balanced game, but in terms of raw skill, solid technique and fantastic athleticism, he earns “boom or bust” status. The Wings will watch him closely and send Bedard to Ottawa on a regular basis to ensure that a fantastic and fantastically slim goaltender works on his skating and learns how to play a more efficient game so that he can channel that athleticism into mastering the nuances of goaltending. I loved what I saw from him, but he’s got a few dozen Manitoba miles to go before he rounds into legitimate pro prospect form.

34 Petr Mrazek: Over the course of three months, Mrazek transformed himself from an athletic puck-blocker who was all over the crease into a much more controlled and collected classic butterfly netminder who has a Hasek-high glove hand, kicks pucks out to the right places and does a wonderful job of deadening rebounds by collapsing his body slightly to absorb their energy. His blocker hand and tendency to lift his stick off the ice as he drops into the butterfly let him down, however, and he needs to stop dropping his blocker so easily. He was even-keeled and sometimes even elegant in the Wings’ net when they beat the Blues to advance to the championship game and he’s going to dominate for the Ottawa 67’s this year, but his biggest problem is that he’s quite possibly 165 pounds, if that, and his lack of just about any body fat means that he’s going to have to work very hard to build up his body and build up his endurance has he moves forward.

http://www.kuklaskorner.com/index.php/a2y/comments/red_wings_prospects_conclude_tournament_with_a_loss_prepare_for_main_camp/

Screw this bulls*** size crap. Look who's vying for the Vezina (Tim Thomas) not some behemoth.

I sat almost right behind this kid on Feb 26 and he's the real deal. The shots were 48 to 20 against my beloved Spirit yet the 67's beat them 4-2 with the 3rd being an EN. Most of the play was in the Ottowa zone. He's even a little feisty jabbing at one of the Spirit players. I tell if it wasn't for Petr the Spirit would have murdered them. This goalie is why Ottawa is even competitive this year.

Screw this bulls*** size crap. Look who's vying for the Vezina (Tim Thomas) not some behemoth.

I sat almost right behind this kid on Feb 26 and he's the real deal. The shots were 48 to 20 against my beloved Spirit yet the 67's beat them 4-2 with the 3rd being an EN. Most of the play was in the Ottowa zone. He's even a little feisty jabbing at one of the Spirit players. I tell if it wasn't for Petr the Spirit would have murdered them. This goalie is why Ottawa is even competitive this year.

Thanks for the update, Sarah Palin!

I'm actually getting a little excited about this guy.

Even had some good press in a recent issue of THN.

All he does is win.

As of today: Petr Mrazek

4th in GAA

1st in SV%

3rd in Wins

1st Shutouts

2nd minutes played

1st shots against

Every time I look at this guy's stats, he's had a good game. I find it hard to get excited about goalie prospects given how inconsistent and hard to predict they are, but this guy just gets it done.

30 saves on 31 shots today, 0.923 SV% and 2.19 GAA though 5 games (3-1-1).

I've been watching this kid in the Prospect Tournament and Wings Training Camp and for his level and development he's done very well and has really impressed me a lot. He definetly still needs a lot of work but perhaps one day we may see him in the NHL. No garuntee that he'll be in a NHL Wings Jersey but give him a some more time and he could be a capable NHL Goalie.

Mrazek made 52 saves on 54 shots to eliminate the USA from the World Juniors. Our goalie of the future shutting down the Americans, I'm glad that I'm a Canadian Wings fan!

Really excited to see Mrazek get a shot in GR next year. He seems to have the drive and attitude that you just can't teach. Not to mention his crazy goaltending skills. He outperformed former first round pick Jack Campbell hands down.