• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

titanium2

Teemu Pulkkinen

Rate this topic

Interesting fact: at the pace he has been scoring so far Pulkkinen would be on pace to break the all-time record on points for a rookie in the FEL. The previous owner of the title is none other than a certain other Teemu you may have heard of once or twice, two seasons before he came to the NHL and put up 132 points and 76 goals in his rookie season. It should be mentioned though that when Selänne played in Finland the regular season was 14 games shorter.

The game was different back then also, from what I've heard from Finnish fans, the goalies weren't as good as they are today. Take it for what you want.

The game was different back then also, from what I've heard from Finnish fans, the goalies weren't as good as they are today. Take it for what you want.

That can be said for nearly ever league in hockey. Remember, it was only a couple decades ago where goalies still played primarily stand-up and shots from outside the blue line would go in on a consistent basis.

That can be said for nearly ever league in hockey. Remember, it was only a couple decades ago where goalies still played primarily stand-up and shots from outside the blue line would go in on a consistent basis.

my point exactly, so its hard to use point totals from the late 70s to the early 90s as a bench mark against which to set today's players.

Teemu returned to lineup tonight against HIFK.

assisted 2 powerplay goals including gamewinner at overtime. (which was a lucky bounce off the backboards, after a poor shot by him)

so 0+2, 7 shots, 17:01 icetime

I think he was the best player on the ice tonight.(for Jokerit of course, dont pay much attention to enemys players)

Granlund returned too after two months out, and that showed (ok I got caught, i watched him little bit closely :rolleyes:)

edit: my bad it was granlunds 5th game back after injury, as I said dont follow other teams that much...

Edited by Finnish Hammer

World Junior totals for Pulkkinen:

6 GP 3 G 6 A 9 PTS +2

Finland disappointingly fell in the quarterfinal to a late 3rd period Russian comeback.

I saw a few Finnish games, Pulkkinen looked good out there. Hopefully he continues his good form in the league.

Pulkkinen has signed a new two-year contract with Jokerit, keeping him with the club until 2013 spring. Dunno what this means regarding Grand Rapids for example? Will he actually stay in Finland for two more years? Because he's already one of the best players in the league.

Anyway, here's the article.

"– It's good for him to still continue here [in Finland] and grow better in different areas of the game and get some muscle. The NHL and IIHF contract makes it possible for player to leave even if under a contract, but hopefully two years is enough to have him prepared to jump straight into the rock solid Detroit Red Wings line up, Kekäläinen says."

edit: added Kekäläinen's comment (my own translation)

Edited by Finnish Wing

Pulkkinen is in a much stronger league than the AHL right now, I think he will devolep much better in Finland. If he comes to camp with a good attitude in 2012 I could see him making the team.

Pulkkinen is in a much stronger league than the AHL right now, I think he will devolep much better in Finland.

I don't see SM-liiga being a better overall league in terms of level of the players. Maybe that was the case 5 or 10 years ago - when SM-liiga was maybe considered the second best league in the world - but not anymore. I'd like him to get used to longer season and more physical game in the AHL. Neither one is a bad choice though.

Boy am I glad that he didn't do what Rajala did last year by going to CHL. That was a major mistake by Rajala and he didn't develop at all there. Pulkkinen has gotten a lot of ice time and offensive responsibility all the time this season.

I feel like he should spend as much time in Finland as he needs.

He's got three main aspects of the game to work on, imo.

-Gaining muscle to be stronger on the puck

-Skating: Balance, speed, leg strength, proper form

-Defensive Awareness

I don't know if one year of integrating all that stuff into his overall game is good enough to put him in shape for the AHL.

So, I mean, I'd be all for him spending another two years in Finland.

I feel like he should spend as much time in Finland as he needs.

He's got three main aspects of the game to work on, imo.

-Gaining muscle to be stronger on the puck

-Skating: Balance, speed, leg strength, proper form

-Defensive Awareness

I don't know if one year of integrating all that stuff into his overall game is good enough to put him in shape for the AHL.

So, I mean, I'd be all for him spending another two years in Finland.

That's why he should come over to North America, we have the best strength and conditioning in the world. Plus, what better way to develop defensive awareness than playing the the Red Wings system ;p

Jokerit - HIFK 5 - 0

Pulkkinen with 2 assists (both on power play)

16:57 icetime & "only" 1 shot on goal

tomorrow second game of this January double header* vs HIFK, and next saturday Finnish Winter Classic also against HIFK.

Good times.

*= there is a name for these games, but cant remember what it was called, maybe some other Finn can tell us...

FH

That's why he should come over to North America, we have the best strength and conditioning in the world. Plus, what better way to develop defensive awareness than playing the the Red Wings system ;p

True but I don't want him to be subjected to the way the Griffins are right now. I feel his skating would really limit his ice time on the Griffins and he's a young guy. I don't want him to be a healthy scratch for 40+ games while he could get first line possibly 20 minutes a game you know?