• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

titanium2

Teemu Pulkkinen

Rate this topic

So this kid dominates Jnr-C, Jnr-B, Jnr-A, WHC-U17, WJC-U18. Slips to the 4th round because of injury concerns and now is only a couple points of from leading SML at only 18 years of age. It's not a steal, it's a damn shame he fell that low. Oh well, I'm happy with this =]

41 shots on goal... That's Ovechkin like isn't it?

http://redwingscentral.com/stories/2010_10/06_RWCReport.php

RWC Report: Shouldering the load

By Matthew Wuest – RedWingsCentral.com / October 6, 2010

Teemu Pulkkinen is making up for lost time in the Finnish SM-Liiga.

After battling through a brutal injury-plagued season that saw his draft stock plummet from first-round candidate to eventual fourth-round selection, Pulkkinen is tearing it up with Helsinki Jokerit.

Through eight games, Pulkkinen — who the Red Wings liken to Jari Kurri — has a team-best four goals and three assists for seven points in eight games. Not only that, he's launched a stunning 41 shots on goal.

He's tied for 11th in scoring and shots and is still only 18 years old.

What makes Pulkkinen's hot start that much more impressive is the fact he had off-season shoulder surgery that put him off the ice for a whopping 18 weeks. The surgery corrected a problem that forced him to miss the second half of the 2009-10 season.

Add it all up and the Red Wings have uncovered an outstanding prospect via a mid-round pick. They nabbed the 5-foot-11 183-pounder 111st overall in the 2010 draft, calling him a pure sniper while accepting that skating is his biggest knock.

"He's a goal-scorer, which is really hard to find these days, but he can also make plays," Finnish scout Ari Vuori said on draft day. "He has a good shot and he's so smart at finding openings."

The Red Wings will look for Pulkkinen to continue his strong start and take his act to the world stage in December at the world junior championship. His injury forced him to miss last year's tournament.

Pulkkinen scored the game winner on powerplay against Espoo Blues at today's game. Jokerit won 3-2.

Stats so far:

12 games, 6+6=12, 67 shots, +6, 4 pp goals, ice time 15.33.

Edited by Jusek

A nice article on some SML up and comers with our boy being one of them: NHL.com

Teemu Pulkkinen, LW, Jokerit Helsinki -- Heading into the 2009-10 season, Pulkkinen was considered a likely first-round pick in the 2010 Entry Draft, but injuries (he underwent a pair of surgeries) and inconsistency on the ice pushed him down one round after another.

"When the regular season started, we played bad," Pulkkinen told NHL.com. "We were losing lots of games and then I broke my wrist. I had surgery and they put a pin in my wrist. … (Also) I had (shoulder) surgery four weeks before the (NHL Scouting) Combine."

Pulkkinen, who had undergone knee surgery the previous season, was in danger of being labeled a fragile player. The Detroit Red Wings, an organization with a history of identifying European gems, grabbed Pulkkinen in the fourth round (No. 111). So far this season, the 5-foot-11, 183-pounder has looked like a steal. He's been healthy and very productive, and has started to tap into the potential that had some comparing him to fellow Jokerit product Teemu Selanne during his junior career.

After being limited to a dozen SM-Liiga games last season, Pulkkinen has played all 20 games to date for Jokerit. Still a rookie, the right-shooting sniper has averaged nearly a point per game (8 goals, 11 assists) and has shown no ill effects from the surgeries.

"Teemu can play either wing, but he has a tremendous shot from the off-wing. He's a scorer with skills you can't teach, but he also works hard. Learning the defensive parts of the game, adding strength, these things take time, but he has not looked out of place," said Jokerit general manager Jarmo Kekalainen.

Been a while since I posted something, good to see others keeping you guys updated.

Jokerit had two home games at the end of the week. Thursday against HPK and TPS on Friday.

Jokerit fired coach Jortikka (about time), former head coach Erkka Westerlund is the new boss.

And he's of to a flying start, two wins 3-0 and 5-0.

Teemu's stats from those to games.

25.11.2010 Jokerit - HPK 0+2 / +2 / 5 shots / 17.49 icetime

26.11.2010 Jokerit - TPS 0+1 / +1 / 8 shots / 16.43 icetime

Totals 25gmp 8+16=24, +9, 128 shots!!!, 6pim, ait 15.58

still playing on the 2nd line with Lahti (15+9) and Kerälä (6+5)

I noticed Teemu is pointless in only 3 games this season.

happy thanksgiving!

FH

He was also selected to the preliminary group of players for the U20 World Championships. Three goalies, seven defensemen and thirteen forwards will be selected to the final team.

Team Finland

Goalies: (4)

1 Jonathan Iilahti, Blues

19 Samu Perhonen, JYP

30 Sami Aittokallio, Ilves

31 Joni Ortio, TPS

Defensemen: (9)

2 Juha-Pekka Pietilä, Pelicans

3 Jyrki Jokipakka, Ilves

4 Tommi Kivistö, Jokerit

5 Nico Manelius, Jokerit

7 Jani Hakanpää, Blues

8 Rasmus Rissanen, Everett Silvertips

9 Sami Vatanen, JYP

15 Olli Määttä, JYP

23 Jesse Virtanen, Lukko

Forwards: (15)

6 Teemu Pulkkinen, Jokerit

10 Erik Haula, University of Minnesota

11 Miikka Salomäki, Kärpät

13 Julius Junttila, Kärpät

16 Henri Tuominen, Ilves

18 Iiro Pakarinen, KalPa

20 Joel Armia, Ässät

21 Valtteri Virkkunen, Blues

22 Mikael Granlund, HIFK

24 Teemu Tallberg, HIFK

25 Toni Rajala, Ilves

26 Mika Partanen, Mississauga

27 Joonas Donskoi, Kärpät

28 Jaakko Turtiainen, HPK

29 Joonas Nättinen, Blues

Jokerit won 3-2 tonight away against Kalpa

Pulkkinen witn an assist to the game winning goal.

4 shots, +1, 2pim (for roughing :rolleyes: ) 16:16 icetime

30gmp 10+18=28 pts, +10, 10pims, 145shots, 16:04 average ice time

And yes, he will make the team for WJC.

FH

I'd say he's a shoo-in for the final roster. Hopefully Armia makes it, I need to check that kid out. Why no Markus Granlund though? Next year for sure, right?

Yeah Teemu is bound to make it and I would think Armia too. Maybe they still see Markus as a work in progress, next year he'll probably be in. Although he has already played for HIFK in FEL while his brother has been injured and hasn't looked out of place.

Interesting fact: at the pace he has been scoring so far Pulkkinen would be on pace to break the all-time record on points for a rookie in the FEL. The previous owner of the title is none other than a certain other Teemu you may have heard of once or twice, two seasons before he came to the NHL and put up 132 points and 76 goals in his rookie season. It should be mentioned though that when Selänne played in Finland the regular season was 14 games shorter.