• Please log in to reply
246 replies to this topic

#161 Finnish Wing

Finnish Wing

13th Forward

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 12:15 PM

Pulkkinen is not playing tonight against HIFK. He has a nephritis(?) (dunno if that's the correct word; something to do with his kidney anyway) and is staying in a hospital. No idea how long he'll be out.
Detroit Red Wings & Tampereen Ilves forever!

#162 Shaman

Shaman

Die hard Red Wing fan and realist.

• Silver Booster
  • 3,838 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 10:34 PM

Pulkkinen is not playing tonight against HIFK. He has a nephritis(?) (dunno if that's the correct word; something to do with his kidney anyway) and is staying in a hospital. No idea how long he'll be out.

Nephritis=Urinary tract infection that reached the Kidneys... It sucks, but in any country with decent medical care its a few days of suck and then youre good as new. If his team is still in the playoffs in a week he will be back with them. This isn't horrid, he will recover and be perfectly fine.
Feuer und Wasser kommt nicht zusammen
Kann man nicht binden sind nicht verwandt
In Funken versunken steh ich in Flammen
und bin im Wasser verbrannt
Im Wasser verbrannt

#163 Andy Pred 48

Andy Pred 48

Coming soon,"the slovak line" Marek and 2 Toms!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,860 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 02:10 PM

cant wait for this kid to be wearing the winged wheel.

Edited by Andy Pred 48, 20 March 2011 - 02:14 PM.

"What are you guys doing?" Reggie Dunlop
"Putting on the foil coach" Jeff Hanson
"Yeah, every game, you want some coach?" Steve Hanson
"Er, no. No thanks guys." Reggie Dunlop
"Make sure they don't leave the bench!" Reggie Dunlop.

#164 Jusek

Jusek

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,732 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 11:25 AM

Pulkkinen will play at tonight's game vs. HIFK which starts within ten minutes. :thumbup:
"I consider the Detroit Red Wings one of the greatest franchises in any sport. For a player to come in and play, it's so special to wear the jersey."
-Steve Yzerman

#165 Jusek

Jusek

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,732 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 04:29 AM

Pulkkinen scored two goals against Germany on thursday. The second goal was a beautiful one-time slapper. He has played 3 games and scored 2 goals and 2 assists in the national team. :thumbup:

"I consider the Detroit Red Wings one of the greatest franchises in any sport. For a player to come in and play, it's so special to wear the jersey."
-Steve Yzerman

#166 Finnish Wing

Finnish Wing

13th Forward

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 07:53 AM

Pulkkinen scored two goals against Germany on thursday. The second goal was a beautiful one-time slapper. He has played 3 games and scored 2 goals and 2 assists in the national team. :thumbup:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jINB3EpWG6o&feature=player_embedded

Holy Slapper at the 0:50 mark.

#167 Shaman

Shaman

• Silver Booster
  • 3,838 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 06:43 PM

This kid is the REAL DEAL.
Im Wasser verbrannt

#168 WingMan56

WingMan56

Kronwall owns you

• PipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 07:12 PM

Not sure what happened..he had a point per game in all the pre-world championship games, and then he didn't make the final squad. Did he get injured? Or did Finland just decide to go with a more veteran team?

Edit: Just saw that Granlund made the final cut and has been playing for Finland in the WC's...not sure what happened with Pulkkinen.

Edited by WingMan56, 09 May 2011 - 07:14 PM.

#169 Finnish Wing

Finnish Wing

13th Forward

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 07:56 PM

Not sure what happened..he had a point per game in all the pre-world championship games, and then he didn't make the final squad. Did he get injured? Or did Finland just decide to go with a more veteran team?

Edit: Just saw that Granlund made the final cut and has been playing for Finland in the WC's...not sure what happened with Pulkkinen.

Didn't make the team. Koivu, Ruutu, Aaltonen, Granlund, Immonen, Pesonen. There's some of the offensive names. Now that I've seen six games of them I think he could've been a better choice than Aaltonen but hindsight is always hindsight.

#170 WingMan56

WingMan56

Kronwall owns you

• PipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 11:11 AM

Didn't make the team. Koivu, Ruutu, Aaltonen, Granlund, Immonen, Pesonen. There's some of the offensive names. Now that I've seen six games of them I think he could've been a better choice than Aaltonen but hindsight is always hindsight.

I guess I don't understand how Granlund, who was injured most of the season, made the team over Teemu. Seems weird.

#171 Finnish Wing

Finnish Wing

13th Forward

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 01:13 PM

I guess I don't understand how Granlund, who was injured most of the season, made the team over Teemu. Seems weird.

Granlund carried his team to the championship in the playoffs. He was injured yes, but he proved that he has took yet another step forward from even he's last year's amazing play. It's not all about the stats, it's about the level of play.

I'd say Granlund is one "level" above Pulkkinen in terms of talent. Granlund has abilities what make him different than Teemu. He has always been questioned by the media (too small, too slow etc.) and been challenged when he's going for the next step but he has always made it. Now he has at times dominated in the WC and has been a top3 player for Finland every game.

There have been some issues that Pulkkinen could be a little bit of a perimeter player and shy to take hits and go after a puck in the corners. Granlund is small, but he plays like he's big. He always goes to the dirty areas and wins pucks.

Like I said, I see Granlund being one "level" above Teemu in talent and I doubt it's going to change ever. Mikael has some "natural" qualities which you can already probably notice when you talk to him, but clearly when you see him play.

#172 Jusek

Jusek

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,732 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 04:01 PM

Pulkkinen named as Finnish Elite League rookie of the year. I'm not surprised because he had an amazing season. :thumbup:
-Steve Yzerman

#173 Aussie_Wing

Aussie_Wing

Mursak

• Bronze Booster
  • 8,550 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 07:26 AM

I love this kid!! I can't wait to see how he builds on this next season. I expect him to be a bit like Nyquist in the NCAA this season, a bit down on the previous season as he received more attention, but he'll be steady and finish strong.

Ken Holland: Hes (Mursak) a young guy, provides energy, can skate, hes a puck hound.

#174 Jusek

Jusek

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,732 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 12:44 PM

Pretty sick shot in the shootout! This is from Future Olympic Lions 2011 camp. He also recorded two assists in that same game which ended 3-3 after regulation.
-Steve Yzerman

#175 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 01:12 PM

Slap Shot. Bar Down. Ten feet away. His release looked pretty quick to me there.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#176 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 08:39 AM

I really want to see this kid in GR in two years to see how his game adjusts to the NA style, I've got to say, other than those already in the system (Smith and Tatar), Pulkkinen and Nyquist are the two prospects I am most excited about... I still feel really good about Sheahan too...

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#177 Shaman

Shaman

• Silver Booster
  • 3,838 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 12:35 AM

I really want to see this kid in GR in two years to see how his game adjusts to the NA style, I've got to say, other than those already in the system (Smith and Tatar), Pulkkinen and Nyquist are the two prospects I am most excited about... I still feel really good about Sheahan too...

This kid and a couple others (Ironhook, Jurco, Tatar) are the Wings top 6 future. Can't wait to see them in the winged wheel.
Im Wasser verbrannt

#178 Shaman

Shaman

• Silver Booster
  • 3,838 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 02:13 PM

Posted Image

Adjusted stats from their respective leagues to the NHL. Teemu is 6th, Jarnkrok is 12th overall. The draft rank next to them is their position among all other forwards drafted. Pretty damn good for a guy drafted 70th among forwards, and 111th overall.
Im Wasser verbrannt

#179 hockey23

hockey23

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 04:50 PM

Corey Pronman from HockeyProspectus.com just came out with his top 10 Wings' prospects...

1. Gustav Nyquist, Right Wing
2. Tomas Tatar, Left Wing
3. Calle Jarnkrok, Center
4. Brendan Smith, Defense
5. Adam Almqvist, Defense
6. Teemu Pulkkinen, Right Wing
7. Riley Sheahan, Center
8. Tomas Jurco, Right Wing*
9. Alexei Marchenko, Defense
10. Jan Mursak, Right Wing

6. Teemu Pulkkinen, Right Wing
Date of birth: 01/02/1992
Height: 5'11''
Weight: 183
Shoots: Right
Statistics: 55 GP, 18 G, 54 P (Jokerit-SM-Liiga)
Acquired: Fourth round, 111th overall in 2010 by Detroit

The Good: Pulkkinen is a very skilled winger who may be one of the most dangerous power play options in the prospect world. He has an elite level shot and his blasts could scare the life out of anyone who tries to block it. Pulkkinen is also blessed with plus puck skills and vision which makes him a threat when he gets the puck on his stick. He can make quick, subtle moves to evade pursuit and can also show a top-level deke if needed. He's a great distributor who can make very impressive passes and his ability to see the ice is as top-level as they come. Pulkkinen has also shown a conscious effort this season to start engaging more in the corners. When his team sets up in the offensive zone or on the power play, he's as good as it gets.

The Bad: Pulkkinen is a puny player who looks very small on the ice and can be easily rubbed off pucks. His straight line speed is ok, but the skating as a whole is below-average and poor for a sub-6'0" forward and he has a bit of a knock kneed stride. His defensive game is very poor as well.

Projection: An above-average scoring second line forward ceiling who needs coaching protection and if he doesn't crack a top six, he likely doesn't play in the league.

---

This sums up my thoughts on Pulkkinen pretty well. Small, below-average skater who has elite offensive potential. The size/skating factor will prevent him from being a 1st line forward and maybe from even making the NHL at all.

Edited by hockey23, 21 July 2011 - 04:50 PM.

#180 Shaman

Shaman

• Silver Booster
  • 3,838 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 10:55 PM

Corey Pronman from HockeyProspectus.com just came out with his top 10 Wings' prospects...

This sums up my thoughts on Pulkkinen pretty well. Small, below-average skater who has elite offensive potential. The size/skating factor will prevent him from being a 1st line forward and maybe from even making the NHL at all.

Size and speed are overrated, see Dats and Z for examples of what elite vision and ability can do in a frame that is under 1,85cm.
Im Wasser verbrannt