• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest mindfly

Who's going to replace Lidstrom for next season

Rate this topic

Guest mindfly

An offer sheet that big would require like 3st rounders and stuff assuming the kings don't match.. no first rounders for 3 years would sting but it would be worth it in the long run

our lines could look like this...by this time, one year from now...

Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Holmstrom

Franzen, Filppula, Hudler

Cleary, Abdelkader, Bertuzzi

Tatar, Helm, Mursak (Eaves,Ritola)

Doughty, Kronwall

Rafalski, Stuart

Ericsson, Kindl

Howard

McCollum

that looks bonkers to me...

An offer sheet that big would require like 3st rounders and stuff assuming the kings don't match.. no first rounders for 3 years would sting but it would be worth it in the long run

Yeah but losing the 1st rounders can't really hurt that much for the Red Wings. It would be the perfect time to use an offer sheet.

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

I want a top10 defenseman in the league, not over 30years old.

Well I want a pony, but I may never get one. As much as it hurts to say, we probably won't get Doughty either. I would be comfortable with Holland offering him 8-8.5 million a season for a period of time when he hits RFA though. Doubt he'll bite, but he'd be worth it.

Don't underestimate Lidstrom's impact. There simply isn't a defenseman in the NHL right now who can dominate like Lidstrom did in his prime years.

It's impossible to replace a player who's consistently mentioned as being one of the top 2 or 3 players to play his position in the history of the game (and I can't believe anyone would rank him lower than 2nd, only Bobby Orr consistently dominated his position more thoroughly than Lidstrom).

I might get flamed for this but I think Doughty will be a defenseman that will be damn close to Lidstrom's level when he hits his prime. The kid has enormous potential. Barring any injuries he may go down as one of the all time greats, hes that good. Even if he isn't as good as Lidstrom in his prime, he will be by far the best defenseman of his era and will be capable of playing like Lidstrom has the last few years.

Weber is a legit number one defenseman and will also be very good but hes not the same level as doughty I don't think. If we could get either guy I would be ecstatic.

Chara is a good 3 or so year option until Holland can figure something else out to get us a number 1 guy.

I would trade Mule plus 2 first rounders for Doughty, anyone think thats too much?

Don't underestimate Lidstrom's impact. There simply isn't a defenseman in the NHL right now who can dominate like Lidstrom did in his prime years.

It's impossible to replace a player who's consistently mentioned as being one of the top 2 or 3 players to play his position in the history of the game (and I can't believe anyone would rank him lower than 2nd, only Bobby Orr consistently dominated his position more thoroughly than Lidstrom).

Well, the Bruins did find a hell of a replacement for Orr, when they drafted Ray Bourque several years later. ;)

About as good a replacement as you can get.

Edited by GMRwings1983

...I would trade Mule plus 2 first rounders for Doughty, anyone think thats too much?

I wouldn't say it's too much, but unless our goal-scoring prospects look dominant this year and see some time in the NHL, that trade would hurt in the short term. Even then it might still be worth it. I wouldn't expect Doughty to be the next Nick, but next Pronger (ability-wise I mean, not his personality) is probably a good bet. That's still saying a lot.

Realistically, there's likely no way we can end up with Doughty or Weber or any of the other really good looking kids. Chara would probably be the best single player we could get, or Markov. We'd need someone who can really run a PP, I don't have a ton of confidence in Rafi and Kronwall, nor Kindl and Smith so soon.

I wouldn't say it's too much, but unless our goal-scoring prospects look dominant this year and see some time in the NHL, that trade would hurt in the short term. Even then it might still be worth it. I wouldn't expect Doughty to be the next Nick, but next Pronger (ability-wise I mean, not his personality) is probably a good bet. That's still saying a lot.

Realistically, there's likely no way we can end up with Doughty or Weber or any of the other really good looking kids. Chara would probably be the best single player we could get, or Markov. We'd need someone who can really run a PP, I don't have a ton of confidence in Rafi and Kronwall, nor Kindl and Smith so soon.

I think Doughty will end up higher level defenseman then Pronger is, he may not hit Nick status but thats pretty high status to hit. He will be the best defenseman of his era, better then that Larson out of Sweden I think from what I've read about him and that guy will probably be his only competition. Losing Mule's goal scoring would hurt for sure in the playoffs but he's always hurt in the reg season, we would free up a big contract and we would have a bonafied number 1 guy.

Doughty also can throw a pretty solid check as well which is something I tihnk he really doesn't get a lot of credit for like he deserves

Doughty also can throw a pretty solid check as well which is something I tihnk he really doesn't get a lot of credit for like he deserves

I totally agree with this. He really doesn't get credit for his physical/defensive play because he's so good offensively. Doughty really is the whole package when it comes down to it.

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

I would trade Mule plus 2 first rounders for Doughty, anyone think thats too much?

Kings would want more. Franzen is a great scorer, but has a myriad of injury problems, and is already up there in his prime of the career. The two firsts from Detroit will never be prime first rounder either. In addition, while the Mule is a great player, he is the last type of the player LA needs right now, especially if they are sending Doughty the other way.

In another thread, I said I would fully support Holland if he offered 3 first rounders, Tatar/Smith, and Kronwall. Something like this might be enough... remember, everyone knows how good Doughty is, and he is only going to get better. This isn't like the Summer after Phanuef's Norris runner up season where people noticed his talent, but noticed gaps in his game. Doughty is well rounded already, and is still extremely young. It may take much more than what my trade offer was to get him in a trade, seeing as the Kings would want to remain competitive, and still build for the future.

Kings would want more. Franzen is a great scorer, but has a myriad of injury problems, and is already up there in his prime of the career. The two firsts from Detroit will never be prime first rounder either. In addition, while the Mule is a great player, he is the last type of the player LA needs right now, especially if they are sending Doughty the other way.

In another thread, I said I would fully support Holland if he offered 3 first rounders, Tatar/Smith, and Kronwall. Something like this might be enough... remember, everyone knows how good Doughty is, and he is only going to get better. This isn't like the Summer after Phanuef's Norris runner up season where people noticed his talent, but noticed gaps in his game. Doughty is well rounded already, and is still extremely young. It may take much more than what my trade offer was to get him in a trade, seeing as the Kings would want to remain competitive, and still build for the future.

I would do 3 firsts, Kronner (especially if he still isn't hitting) and Tatar. I wouldn't wanna give up Smith unless I had to because he cold step up and be a young, great number 2 guy beside Doughty for years to come. I don't think a pairing of Lids and Rafalski in 2010 would be even close to the talent of Smith Doughty paired up in lets say 2015.

Guest DatsyukianDeke13

I just wrote up about a page and by the time I hit submit, I lost internet connection and now I have to re-type all of it. f***. my. life. Actually, I don't even have the work ethic to re-type it. It was basically a rant about how we shouldn't give up Tatar bc he is the number one prospect in our system and shows a lot of potential and how we would have to give up too much to get Doughty or Weber. IMO, Chara would be the best choice.

^ cliff note version

why are we talking about trading for Doughty when its possible we could send him a huge offer sheet next summer? in the event that he does re-sign with LA i dont think they would trade him away for anything...if we want to get him our only shot will be next summer with an offer sheet...

oh how I pray for that day....

dont even think of offering Smith or Tatar as trade options. Both of these guys are going to be top players for the Wings for years to come. the young kid over in Sweden (if he can put 20LB on) ALMQVIST is a big prospect, another latter round gem in the making, he has Lidstrom like savvy. needs to improve his skating thou.

I do think the big question here is can Kronwall raise his game to the next level? He doesn't find the back of the net enough to be anywhere what we need as a top pairing guy. 23 goals in 300+ reg games 9 of which were on the PP dont cut it really. Lids had almost double the amount at the same time in his career, yes Lids is different class but Kronwall was taken in the 1st round.

Guest DatsyukianDeke13

dont even think of offering Smith or Tatar as trade options. Both of these guys are going to be top players for the Wings for years to come. the young kid over in Sweden (if he can put 20LB on) ALMQVIST is a big prospect, another latter round gem in the making, he has Lidstrom like savvy. needs to improve his skating thou.

I do think the big question here is can Kronwall raise his game to the next level? He doesn't find the back of the net enough to be anywhere what we need as a top pairing guy. 23 goals in 300+ reg games 9 of which were on the PP dont cut it really. Lids had almost double the amount at the same time in his career, yes Lids is different class but Kronwall was taken in the 1st round.

that's what I'm sayin

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

dont even think of offering Smith or Tatar as trade options. Both of these guys are going to be top players for the Wings for years to come.

Even if it means landing the soon to be premier defensemen in the NHL? Smith MAY become a great defensemen. Doughty, at the age of 20, already is, and at a level Smith will most probably never reach.

Guest mindfly

Yeah maybe Chara is a good option until Smith and Almqvist etc is totally ready... he is UFA too so just gotta give him the big cash and good chance to win cup etc (right :D)

Edited by mindfly

Even if it means landing the soon to be premier defensemen in the NHL? Smith MAY become a great defensemen. Doughty, at the age of 20, already is, and at a level Smith will most probably never reach.

I agree, but there's no way LA lets Doughty get away, that's a franchise type player...

My hopes are that Ericsson and/or Kindl take big enough strides forward this season, that we can justify one of them being a top 4 guy and that Kronwall finally takes that top 2 form that he is VERY capable of, combine that with Smith taking that next leap and making the roster, then we roll with it until Rafalski retires the year after and maybe THEN, we make a FA signing, hopefully targeting Brett Burns from MIN, or Ryan Sutter from NSH along with re-signing Kronwall -

2011 -

Kronwall -Rafalski

Stuart - Ericsson/Kindl

Smith - Ericsson/Kindl

2012 -

Kronwall - Burns

Stuart - Ericsson/Kindl

Smith - Ericsson/Kindl