• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

#21 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,336 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 07:20 PM

You wouldn't notice it as much with a Weber/Doughty, some areas of the game would even be better, like down low around the boards, harder slapshot albeit maybe not as accurate, maybe not as possisionally sound...

Don't underestimate Lidstrom's impact. There simply isn't a defenseman in the NHL right now who can dominate like Lidstrom did in his prime years.

It's impossible to replace a player who's consistently mentioned as being one of the top 2 or 3 players to play his position in the history of the game (and I can't believe anyone would rank him lower than 2nd, only Bobby Orr consistently dominated his position more thoroughly than Lidstrom).
Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft

#22 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,703 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 07:24 PM

Indeed.Can't replace Nicklas Lidstrom.But there's plenty of talented defensemen that could be available next summer.Losing him will be a huge blow :(
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#23 mindfly

mindfly

GRRRRR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 07:28 PM

Don't underestimate Lidstrom's impact. There simply isn't a defenseman in the NHL right now who can dominate like Lidstrom did in his prime years.

It's impossible to replace a player who's consistently mentioned as being one of the top 2 or 3 players to play his position in the history of the game (and I can't believe anyone would rank him lower than 2nd, only Bobby Orr consistently dominated his position more thoroughly than Lidstrom).

What I really meant was "replacing him in the best possible way" there are nice dmen who can do a very good job so that the team won't get destroyed after lidstrom retires...

#24 Original-Six

Original-Six

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 07:31 PM

What I really meant was "replacing him in the best possible way" there are nice dmen who can do a very good job so that the team won't get destroyed after lidstrom retires...

yeah but the chances of us landing one of those nice dmen are like 1 in a billion.

#25 mindfly

mindfly

GRRRRR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 07:33 PM

Replacing lidstrom will be the biggest challenge for Holland in his GM-career and he must score a jack pot or the wings would be in a dangerous situation.

#26 robb himself

robb himself

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 622 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 07:45 PM

We need to send as much $$$ as it takes to Doughty in an offer sheet if the Kings dont get him locked up!

I would like this more than words can possibly describe...

Make it happen Kenny!
be about it!

#27 mindfly

mindfly

GRRRRR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 07:48 PM

An offer sheet that big would require like 3st rounders and stuff assuming the kings don't match.. no first rounders for 3 years would sting but it would be worth it in the long run

#28 robb himself

robb himself

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 622 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 07:53 PM

our lines could look like this...by this time, one year from now...

Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Holmstrom
Franzen, Filppula, Hudler
Cleary, Abdelkader, Bertuzzi
Tatar, Helm, Mursak (Eaves,Ritola)

Doughty, Kronwall
Rafalski, Stuart
Ericsson, Kindl

Howard
McCollum

that looks bonkers to me...
be about it!

#29 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 23,280 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 08:33 PM

Kenny will get it done. Somehow.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#30 SweWings

SweWings

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,917 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 08:51 PM

An offer sheet that big would require like 3st rounders and stuff assuming the kings don't match.. no first rounders for 3 years would sting but it would be worth it in the long run

Yeah but losing the 1st rounders can't really hurt that much for the Red Wings. It would be the perfect time to use an offer sheet.

#31 EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,731 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 09:22 PM

I want a top10 defenseman in the league, not over 30years old.

Well I want a pony, but I may never get one. As much as it hurts to say, we probably won't get Doughty either. I would be comfortable with Holland offering him 8-8.5 million a season for a period of time when he hits RFA though. Doubt he'll bite, but he'd be worth it.
Victory Honda Forever.

Like my posts? Contact Hossa4life for information regarding my fan club

#32 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 09:52 PM

I might get flamed for this but I think Doughty will be a defenseman that will be damn close to Lidstrom's level when he hits his prime. The kid has enormous potential. Barring any injuries he may go down as one of the all time greats, hes that good. Even if he isn't as good as Lidstrom in his prime, he will be by far the best defenseman of his era and will be capable of playing like Lidstrom has the last few years.

Weber is a legit number one defenseman and will also be very good but hes not the same level as doughty I don't think. If we could get either guy I would be ecstatic.

Chara is a good 3 or so year option until Holland can figure something else out to get us a number 1 guy.

I would trade Mule plus 2 first rounders for Doughty, anyone think thats too much?

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#33 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 21,049 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 09:54 PM

Well, the Bruins did find a hell of a replacement for Orr, when they drafted Ray Bourque several years later. ;)

About as good a replacement as you can get.

Edited by GMRwings1983, 25 July 2010 - 09:54 PM.

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#34 Buppy

Buppy

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 10:34 PM

...I would trade Mule plus 2 first rounders for Doughty, anyone think thats too much?

I wouldn't say it's too much, but unless our goal-scoring prospects look dominant this year and see some time in the NHL, that trade would hurt in the short term. Even then it might still be worth it. I wouldn't expect Doughty to be the next Nick, but next Pronger (ability-wise I mean, not his personality) is probably a good bet. That's still saying a lot.

Realistically, there's likely no way we can end up with Doughty or Weber or any of the other really good looking kids. Chara would probably be the best single player we could get, or Markov. We'd need someone who can really run a PP, I don't have a ton of confidence in Rafi and Kronwall, nor Kindl and Smith so soon.

#35 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 10:38 PM

I wouldn't say it's too much, but unless our goal-scoring prospects look dominant this year and see some time in the NHL, that trade would hurt in the short term. Even then it might still be worth it. I wouldn't expect Doughty to be the next Nick, but next Pronger (ability-wise I mean, not his personality) is probably a good bet. That's still saying a lot.

Realistically, there's likely no way we can end up with Doughty or Weber or any of the other really good looking kids. Chara would probably be the best single player we could get, or Markov. We'd need someone who can really run a PP, I don't have a ton of confidence in Rafi and Kronwall, nor Kindl and Smith so soon.

I think Doughty will end up higher level defenseman then Pronger is, he may not hit Nick status but thats pretty high status to hit. He will be the best defenseman of his era, better then that Larson out of Sweden I think from what I've read about him and that guy will probably be his only competition. Losing Mule's goal scoring would hurt for sure in the playoffs but he's always hurt in the reg season, we would free up a big contract and we would have a bonafied number 1 guy.

Doughty also can throw a pretty solid check as well which is something I tihnk he really doesn't get a lot of credit for like he deserves

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#36 Jesusberg

Jesusberg

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,814 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 10:48 PM

Doughty also can throw a pretty solid check as well which is something I tihnk he really doesn't get a lot of credit for like he deserves

I totally agree with this. He really doesn't get credit for his physical/defensive play because he's so good offensively. Doughty really is the whole package when it comes down to it.

#37 EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,731 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 10:48 PM

I would trade Mule plus 2 first rounders for Doughty, anyone think thats too much?

Kings would want more. Franzen is a great scorer, but has a myriad of injury problems, and is already up there in his prime of the career. The two firsts from Detroit will never be prime first rounder either. In addition, while the Mule is a great player, he is the last type of the player LA needs right now, especially if they are sending Doughty the other way.

In another thread, I said I would fully support Holland if he offered 3 first rounders, Tatar/Smith, and Kronwall. Something like this might be enough... remember, everyone knows how good Doughty is, and he is only going to get better. This isn't like the Summer after Phanuef's Norris runner up season where people noticed his talent, but noticed gaps in his game. Doughty is well rounded already, and is still extremely young. It may take much more than what my trade offer was to get him in a trade, seeing as the Kings would want to remain competitive, and still build for the future.
Victory Honda Forever.

Like my posts? Contact Hossa4life for information regarding my fan club

#38 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 10:52 PM

Kings would want more. Franzen is a great scorer, but has a myriad of injury problems, and is already up there in his prime of the career. The two firsts from Detroit will never be prime first rounder either. In addition, while the Mule is a great player, he is the last type of the player LA needs right now, especially if they are sending Doughty the other way.

In another thread, I said I would fully support Holland if he offered 3 first rounders, Tatar/Smith, and Kronwall. Something like this might be enough... remember, everyone knows how good Doughty is, and he is only going to get better. This isn't like the Summer after Phanuef's Norris runner up season where people noticed his talent, but noticed gaps in his game. Doughty is well rounded already, and is still extremely young. It may take much more than what my trade offer was to get him in a trade, seeing as the Kings would want to remain competitive, and still build for the future.

I would do 3 firsts, Kronner (especially if he still isn't hitting) and Tatar. I wouldn't wanna give up Smith unless I had to because he cold step up and be a young, great number 2 guy beside Doughty for years to come. I don't think a pairing of Lids and Rafalski in 2010 would be even close to the talent of Smith Doughty paired up in lets say 2015.

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#39 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 23,280 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 11:00 PM

It sure will be one sad day when he does finally hang them up.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#40 jollymania

jollymania

Heavy Hitter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 11:44 PM

doughty would be the closest thing
"I assure you the hits along the boards he(Aaron Downey) constantly threw SEVERAL TIMES EVERY SHIFT were far more damaging hits that what Kronwall throws."
- uk_redwing
HockeyArchive Twitter