• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

CenterIce

Watch what you eat at Detroit Area Pro Sporting Events

Rate this topic

Going to go out on a limb and say that is probably not a whole lot better.

Cleanliness... absolutely better. Price wise, better but still over priced. Chelios may be wealthy but I think you are out of line to spread rumors about his establishment without warrant. Something like that can ruin a restaurant if it gets out of hand. Think of all the workers that would end up unemployed from his three locations?

Care to share any horror stories that will help us feel better about this?

No particular horror stories. Just imagine the next time that you are cooking in your home what would happen if inspectors came in. The rules are strict for a reason, and they change a lot.

I once worked in a place where we got cited for storing the ice scoop in a bucket next to the machine. Code was that it had to be stored in the machine so that it wouldn't bring in contaminants from the surrounding area.

The next year we were cited for storing the scoop in the machine. Code was that it had to be stored next to the machine so that it wouldn't contaminate the inside of the machine.

Yeah, the code reversed itself twice in two years. You don't find these things out until the inspector arrives.

No biggie if a place has an infraction or two, unless it is a major one.

I'll bet that the guy scooping ice with his hands was a bartender. I've seen it done many times in bars.

One final thought, now that I've settled your stomachs... think of how many teenage kids work in fast food. 'Nuf said.

Come on now...honestly is anyone really that surprised about The Joe having roaches? Old, dark and dingy etc this place is just screaming for bugs, rats, birds and any other critters around.

"Inspectors spotted an employee scooping ice with his bare hands instead of using scoops."

That is the sh!t I hate. People that don't wash their hands or picking their noise or ears...ewww.

Edited by dragonballgtz

Come on now...honestly is anyone really that surprised about The Joe having roaches? Old, dark and dingy etc this place is just screaming for bugs, rats, birds and any other critters around.

That is the sh!t I hate. People that don't wash their hands or picking their noise or ears...ewww.

They already have had a bird flying around on the ice a few years back :cool:

The important question is... IS THE BEER STILL SAFE?!?!?!

beer will kill anything that drifts into it, but it isn't like the beer they sell is meant to taste good so i don't know how it could possibly affect the beer, I doubt they clean their taplines that well for the draft beers, canned beers probably sit in some ultra hot room until the day of game when they are chilled.

beer will kill anything that drifts into it, but it isn't like the beer they sell is meant to taste good so i don't know how it could possibly affect the beer, I doubt they clean their taplines that well for the draft beers, canned beers probably sit in some ultra hot room until the day of game when they are chilled.

No homebrew beers at the Joe....only brews I know of are Molson Canadian and Miller Lite. Are there any others?

No homebrew beers at the Joe....only brews I know of are Molson Canadian and Miller Lite. Are there any others?

I was there for Oktoberfest night at the Joe this last season and they had some Oktoberfest flavor beer or something like that. I stuck to good old Molson XXX though. XXX has a high alcohol content so I got the most bang for the buck.

Edit: And here's the picture of one of them. Looks pretty clean to me. EKYpo.jpg

Edited by Branton87

They have a spot for Leinenkugel's too. I believe they sell it in the Cheli's Chili inside. Might I add its an exquisite beer. Summer Shandy is just so so good. I suggest it to anyone.

I was there for Oktoberfest night at the Joe this last season and they had some Oktoberfest flavor beer or something like that. I stuck to good old Molson XXX though. XXX has a high alcohol content so I got the most bang for the buck.

Edit: And here's the picture of one of them. Looks pretty clean to me. EKYpo.jpg

I want that to be the background to my computer and phone... Just need to get more of the ice in the background and that will be 2 of my fave things in this whole world :thumbup:

Guest CaliWingsNut

It's pretty simple. It's like a lot of government / business things... They get a fine, a slap on the wrist, but the infraction was not serious enough to shut them down. In the business you sorta have to expect it, and the big corporations sorta plan for it.

Roaches at the Joe to me is to be expected. You serve food commercially out of a space in a building that old... they are there. Places already in operation often get grandfather clauses to updates in food and code. Roaches at Ford field would be a different thing. You have to consider the advances in design and planning for all these things over the years.

Cleaning chemicals are typically (I'm not familiar with Wayne County's specifics) by law to be stored in a separate room from the kitchen. Someone was lazy and left a can of spray cleaner in the wrong place. I can see this being common in stadiums, as they most likely have a central cleaning chemical storage room (or 2), rather than individual closets for each kitchen.

The ice with the hands was probably from a heavily used central unit feeding several smaller ice bins, not in public view at all. Most ice machines are not in public view. It's also a pretty common occurrence when someone is in a rush and not thinking. More sickening is most companies never clean their ice bins, which have lots of moisture and toxic metals (copper) in their construction. Michigan State learned about this the hard way something like 20 yrs ago.

They are mostly run by large concession companies who do corporate lunch rooms and the like. They come in, set standards, and hire the cheapest labor possible to follow them. They expect the fines, but the systems and kitchen designs keep them from being shut down.

If you know what rules you can break and which you can't (the corporations do), you can get away with all sorts of things (like never buying sanitizer, think about that).

Edited by CaliWingsNut

Cleanliness... absolutely better. Price wise, better but still over priced. Chelios may be wealthy but I think you are out of line to spread rumors about his establishment without warrant. Something like that can ruin a restaurant if it gets out of hand. Think of all the workers that would end up unemployed from his three locations?

Have you personally been in the kitchen and worked there?

I am not saying one thing in particular except the fact that it is a restaurant. If people knew what went on in ANY restaurant they would probably think twice before eating there. It doesn't matter if it's McDonalds or a five star $100 a plate place. There will ALWAYS be things that you wish weren't going on in a restaurant.

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

All I have to say is never eat at Arbys... you've been warned.

Guest CaliWingsNut

Consider this hypothetical...

Your a restaurant owner. Your running a business in one of the hardest markets to be successful in. The typical owner is happy to earn 1-2% a year. Recent studies show a failure rate of about 25%, and 1 in 3 changing ownership within the first 3 years. Chains such as Applebee's and Chili's survive on liquor sales and are lucky to break even on food.

Your walk-in cooler died in the middle of the night, and all your food is warm and spoiled according to law. You've just lost thousands of dollars that you'll have to pay to replace if you wish to stay in business.

Kitchens often see an inspector once every 6 months or so (my experience across multiple states).

Do you get rid of the food? or just spot check it and hope most of it's fine? What if it's Saturday and you can't get a repairman in today?

I know of a sushi restaurant (not in Mich) that ran for 5 days without a refrigerator.... a sushi restaurant.

Edited by CaliWingsNut

Have you personally been in the kitchen and worked there?

I am not saying one thing in particular except the fact that it is a restaurant. If people knew what went on in ANY restaurant they would probably think twice before eating there. It doesn't matter if it's McDonalds or a five star $100

a plate place. There will ALWAYS be things that you wish weren't going on in a restaurant.

No just eaten there and know the owners... You're right I may be wrong maybe Cheli's is just as bad, but then again maybe Ruth's Chris is or Hockeytown... My point is unless you know for sure don't go trashing restaurants by name. It's bad for business and unfounded. The Michigan economy needs all the help it can get

Anyone have any restaurant food horror stories they can share?

flip threw to the back pages on this site lots to read

http://www.restaurantica.com/mi/detroit/

I went through the list of stadiums and read some of the stadiums id been to, I hope tis was a typo in DC

Verizon Center

Washington Wizards, Washington Capitals

Vendors with critical violations: 100%